shape
carat
color
clarity

Next project is on its way here

c langston

Shiny_Rock
I found these smaller 12 x 18mm baroque multi color AA pearls and now need to figure out something fun to do with them. I have been reading and going back to old posts to get ideas for this next project. Maybe leaning toward a larger drop pearl with a morganite topper. Until I have them in hand, feel them and see if there is any variation in color from the photos I can't really decide until they arrive. Buying from photo's isn't ideal I know that and there is no substitute for seeing them with my own eyes. I would love some ideas if your willing to share them with me. Thanks c

project_g_-_mulit_color_baroque.jpg

c langston

Shiny_Rock
This may be a long shot to ask this question on a pearl forum, but do any of you know a jeweler or metal artist that could do an enamel version of this Octopus? I almost wish I had not seen this :love: but I'm not afraid of having custom work done to get exactly what I want. I can still use a inverted drop shape pearl as is shows in this photo. Gem pave' , 14K is a bit out of line with the quality of the pearls but getting the same general effect with fine enameling could be the POP I'm looking for and within a reasonable budget in silver or bronze.
Looking for referrals, please.

project_g_-_mulit_color_0.jpg

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Bluebird thank you again for your comment, idea and Etsy source link. I will definitely see if that custom artist has or is interested in working with me on this. I love how resourceful this forum is, the shared creativity, it's educational and being able to talk to others who are interested in this as a hobby, as a personal collector/addict, having future heirlooms made or things that are just bold & fun...it's great. Ooo in signing up for Etsy there was another similar item in silver with a large pearl used for the Octopus body in silver. http://www.etsy.com/listing/6370535...ry&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all having two sources is always better than just one.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Love the piece you are trying to recreate. I would contact this artist who created this hippochampus for me out of dresden paper. I have seen blown glass octopi she has done too.

She is a friend and talented artist. See her other creations here http://www.etsy.com/shop/jurnecka...... She does not seem to have any posted right now but you can contact her there. She does a lot of Steampunk jewelry and custom made corsets too.

dscf9254dresden_paper_hipocampus.jpg

pgp_12_p_3.jpg

pgp_12_p_4.jpg

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Thank you yes I will explore her work and contact her to see if she has the time or interest in my project (& budget). I do like the variety of high quality artists and items on Etsy but it isn't always so user friendly in searching for items. Honestly like the octopus in the above picture, I didn't know that I wanted or loved it until I saw it, how do you search for that *chuckle* :o . Many thanks for the referrals.

naria

Shiny_Rock
That octopus is soo cool. Good luck in getting this project off the ground and of course share with us the end result. :)

c langston

Shiny_Rock
A quick update on this project, I've not found THE focal octopus yet. As soon as the pearls arrived I began to play with them, puttering with layout. About 3 hours later this is the result (phase 1) now that stringing has become easier for me and finding my own little rythm making a change or a complete restring isn't so intimidating (It used to make me panic). At least they are wearable until I change my mind or find the right accent piece. I did do an "Ooops" and didn't really catch it until I had completed the last knot, the clasp was on and laid it out on the table to take a picture of it. Baroques are not equal in length and I had alternated the shades/colors of the pearls and did not consider that one side had several of the longer pearls which makes the center focal, off center (ooops). Another GOOD reason to keep looking for that octopus and rework the strand in the near future.

project_f_project_g_013.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
its lovely and looks lovely on you.....and had you not mentioned the "oops" I wouldn't have noticed!

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That turned out beautifully! The way you combined the pearls shows off the contrasting colors; thank you so much for modeling!

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
cool. that is a nice length, too. Do you have a favorite pearl picked out for the octopus project yet?

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Thank you movie zombie, Pattye & mynattk! mynattk no specific pearl in my possession has been dedicated to the Octopus yet. Much will decide on the presentation of the body position, size & proportion. If there isn't anything in the pearl bins of my tackle boxes that will work (grin) finding the right one will be fun. I've seen some done as slides (tenticles holding on), festoon style, some pendant enhancer styles. I'm somewhat fond of the body being back at a 45* angle at this point, seeking something anatomically correct OR something artsy modern impressionistic . The cartoon like, cutesy, wrong number of legs, I have no interest in. I'll know it when I see it, hah but affording it may be a different challenge. Movie Zombie, the clasp lays at 1:00, still back far enough that a collar, the right shirt/top or hair being down will cover the Ooops, but I know it's there and it will bug the 'you know what' out of me until I fix it. The old counting pearls to find center did NOT work this time, lesson learned.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I am so envious of those who can string and re-string their pearls. (Don't even try to suggest I learn...!) Enjoy!

c langston

Shiny_Rock
bsolmlo I SOOOOO unnderstand where you are. Although I have had this as a passive hobby/habbit for years (45+) and my collection has grown I seemed to be complacent with doing finish work that looked (bad finish work) not so very good. It was right here, Nacrelover who gave me the sources, confidence to give a first small project a go. I am so indebited to this site for that reason. Soldering still terrifies me after 2 flux pops on me while working on a project (supervised project). *(Big Grin) When the time is right and you have the time, focus an awesome project to motivate you...THIS is the place that can give you the moxy to "give it a go." Just keep an open mind for the future, again it took me 45 years to be comfortable knotting & restringing items but these are MY projects for personal use if they don't meet with my own personal standards Pfffttttt "I" am the one who needs to step up my game and learn better techniques. So I won't push you, no one on earth could have pushed me (.). This is about fun, pleasure, learning, eduactiion about sources, quality, building/creating something for yourself, there is alot of gratification in making something for yourself that you LOVE!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results