shape
carat
color
clarity

Odd color pearl binge

c langston

Shiny_Rock
I seem to be on a pearl roll these past few weeks. I love PP and their excellent customer service for classic AAA pearls, I have confidence in how they represent the grading and color on each & every item, and special orders. While looking for unique strands I found a vendor on eBay that has a particular interesting color chocolate with orange highlights (like fall autumn leaves) that would be just for fun, the listing detail says 'nature' pearl. I've been frustrated before trying to communicate and wonder if there is a proper phrase or wording that will be direct & understood. Example: Are these pearls natural color or dyed pearls? The answer I got was, "yes". After 2 or three rounds of communication that left me scratching my head still, I passed on those strands of pearls. With a source that I have never bought from before, I hate to miss out on a fun unique strand but I have always been willing to keep an open mind with new vendors (new to me, not the biz). I have seen so many new colors (like pistachio and pond slime), textures, cultured shapes come to the market in the past few years and I LOVE it. I just hate to assume that a color/color range is dyed when the listing says the color is "nature" which I suppose means natural. Has anyone else found communicating with eBay vendors awkward?
Thanks,
c

c langston

Shiny_Rock
This is the color I'm interested in, do you think it is a safe bet that these ARE dyed? I suppose if I like the color and it is just for fun it shouldn't matter if they are dyed but as a buyer I'd like to have accurate info to make that decision.

pearl_fall_leaves.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, they appear dyed. The seller may have been avoiding your question or was telling you they were natural pearls not faux or shell pearls. Many companies sell dyed pearls, as long as the dye doesn't come off and discolor your clothing they should last a while.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Thank You NacreLover once again you are right on the mark with your comments. I would like to do a quickly thank you for your advice a while back you have been so very helpful when I was nervous about restringing an old set of 30" pearls you gave me the links and confidence to give that a go (and a confirmed pearl addict evolved in the process). I had also been looking for something very specific to re-do a family heirloom ring you pointed me to PP, and they were so accommodating with my special order even though it was a small order...I was treated so very well.
Periwinklegirl Oooooo there is a Florida State University (FSU) Alum in my immediate family that would do something flat out crazy for your Wine biggie pearls. My skin tone does better with Warm colors I will keep looking for the right set of biggies for my personal stash. Looking...ahh always looking hubby can't scold me for that *chuckle* ehhh it's the buying that I have to pace myself on.

Again thank you both very much for your comments!

c

c langston

Shiny_Rock
My apologies in my post above I said that it was PP that I had sold me the replacement pearls for a heirloom ring I was having restored, I was incorrect. In going through my paperwork and organizing the certificate for those pearls came from another seller. My Bad, sorry!

AnnaGraceDreamPearls

Rough_Rock
Trade
They look treated and dyed. No natural pearls are in this color. However, dyed pearls can be worn as fashion. Normally lower grading off white off round pearls are used for dyed treated pearls. They look nice when freshly purchase but the color and luster will fade and dull over time. For an investment point of view, it is not worth the money. Wearing dyed or natural pearls is purely a consumer choice as long as you enjoy the piece. Hope you don't mind the opinion from a pearl merchant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results