shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone tell me if these pearls are real or fake?

BettyJewel

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the poor photo quality. I'm no expert and would like to know if these are real or not. I do not wear them since the thread is damaged in a few places. If they are real then I would like to have them restrung and a better clasp put on. The clasp shown is cheap metal and not gold or silver. image_448.jpg image_449.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
They look like real freshwater pearls to me. If so, because of the irregular shapes, they wouldn't be worth much, but they are still very pretty. One way to check is run your teeth over them. Real pearls feel slightly gritty, fakes feel smooth.

BettyJewel

Rough_Rock
seaurchin|1369686853|3454619 said:
They look like real freshwater pearls to me. If so, because of the irregular shapes, they wouldn't be worth much, but they are still very pretty. One way to check is run your teeth over them. Real pearls feel slightly gritty, fakes feel smooth.

Thank you for your reply. This is why I question that they are genuine. I am not able to feel any grittyness. That coupled with the low quality clasp. However they are knotted between each pearl and the quality (mostly color) degrades considerably in the pearls at the back near the clasp.

I would just like some opinions before I take them in for restringing.

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
They look real to me. I don't know how much restringing and a new clasp would cost, but it might be worth it to consider a new strand depending on how worn these are and whether they will clean up. I'm sure others will chime in with more helpful info. Maybe someone can say how much restringing and a new clasp would run?

Just for conversation sake, were these a gift? Tell us your story 8)

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
whatever they are, they're quite pretty!

Blossy

Rough_Rock
They look like they have a beautiful shiny lustre :)

AnnaGraceDreamPearls

Rough_Rock
Trade
These are corn shape pearls. They are not uniform with unique looks in each of them. The luster is good. These look real to me. I need to feel the pearls to confirm it. The strand does need to be restrung with double-knotted for extra safely. And the clasp can be cleaned and reused. Every unique shape of the pearl can be beautiful not only the perfect round. And proper maintenance of pearls can keep the pearl strand a longer or lasting shine.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They do look like freshwater pearls. Professional restringing can be costly and I urge you to try your hand at restringing them yourself. It's not really so hard and a great skill to have if you plan to buy any more pearls, as eventually they all need restringing.

AnnaGraceDreamPearls

Rough_Rock
Trade
There are special technique to tie the knots on pearl especially on the clasp area. One must be trained to tie the knots safely without breaking and making the pearl strands looking smooth and hanging nice. Normally we use double strong Japanese threads to string the pearls and tie the knots. Professional stringing is a bit more but it will keep the pearl strands in much better condition. Some pearl places are free to retie the strand for you if you purchase from the store. We do restringing free if customers purchase from our site. And we charge a minimum fee for restringing others' store pearl strands. Yes, the two strands are freshwater with round and off round pearls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results