shape
carat
color
clarity

Birthday Studs - RBs set inverted...

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I wanted to get advice from PSers... my BFF has a milestone bday coming up and I wanted to surprise her with a pair of everyday baby studs (a la Carrie in SATC) but I wanted to have them have a bit of an "edge", came across these while looking for ideas:

Brilliant cut diamonds set inverted:

http://blancamonrosgomez.com/collections/earrings/products/dainty-champagne-diamond-studs

http://www.annasheffield.com/products/evol-diamond-stud-earrings

and thought I'd get one of the PS vendors to make this (3 prong version) but in a E/F diamond. Thinking .25 - .40 tcw

Thoughts? Or keep it face up (but then is there anything I can do to make it more special and not like a regular pair of studs?)

She's got a lot of bling already but this would be for running around every day, gym, etc.

The other thought I had is to have 2 pairs made, one set inverted, one set flat, and then give her a pair of one inverted and one flat, and keep the other pair for myself. Then we'd have a matching sets - sort of like a very grown up version of a BFF necklace? Thoughts? Would it bother you to wear a "mismatched" set?

Any other ideas?

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Thought I'd post pics of the inverted diamond stud earring so ppl don't have to click through to the links.

invertearring1.jpg

invertearring2.jpg

k_darling

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I like inverted settings with darker colored stones - the champagne ones you posted are lovely.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a pretty cool idea - I've never seen them set that way before!

If it were me, I'm more likely to appreciate a matched pair, rather than each of us having one of each... must be a low level OCD in me, but it would bug me not having them match!

Would you consider rose cut diamonds? They have a similar effect to what you are looking for...

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Yes, would definitely consider rose cut or single cut diamonds - maybe in a milgrain bezel? Not sure whom to go to for those, though. I can be a little OCD as well, but wanted to have something that would tie us together (I'm sentimental like that).

Another idea would be to differ the settings (1 pair in a white gold, and 1 pair in a rose gold) and split them...

Or differ the cut (1 princess, 1 round).

"mis-matching" earrings seem to be a trend, and we could always match them back!

img-mixmatchearrings1_144734615639.jpg

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I like the mis-matched studs when it's part of a theme - as posted above.
I bought some tiny RG pave earrings for my daughter with a tiny moon & a tiny star. They're very sweet.

I think I prefer the slightly less spikey rose cuts to inverted MRB...or maybe some OECs?

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
What about sourcing some French cuts and setting those as studs? It would be very unique. And now I have an idea for myself ... :naughty:

jgny

Shiny_Rock
IE_Princess|1369064559|3450452 said:
What about sourcing some French cuts and setting those as studs? It would be very unique. And now I have an idea for myself ... :naughty:

Oooooooohhh that would be beautiful and special... (off to explore...)

french_cut_studs.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the french cuts best of all the ideas mentioned thus far. I do not think inverted rounds is a good idea since the diamonds reflect light from the top. It wouldn't do any justice to the diamonds at all to set them upside down! I also don't like mismatched for fine jewelry. I agree for costume jewelry a theme like the insects is kind of cute, but not with diamonds. Just get two identical pairs if you want to share a common jewelry item.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inverted studs are a cute concept but for me they'd be a novelty item rather than a wardrobe mainstay, and there's no way I'd pay $800 for novelty earrings. But you know your BFF and we don't. Does she have a quirky/gothy/punky outlook on life? Is she likely to fall in love with the uber edgy inverted studs? If so, go for it. If not, consider a french cut pair as mentioned above, or baby bezels or some other alternative.

BTW - another take on champaign diamonds at about the same price (also available with yellow diamonds): http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...brown-round-brilliant-rose-gold-dangles-r5141 -

Then again, those inverted diamond studs could double as glass cutters if needed... hmm...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like it with diamonds. Maybe if it was sapphires or something else, just seems like a lot of money for diamonds when you won't even get the sparkle.

What about little marquise or little pears? those and how they twirl add a little interest.

Marquise would be my choice

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Agree with some of the PPs... the inverted diamonds are kind of a waste of using diamonds, and they're so tiny, you may not be able to really see/appreciate what they actually are without being super-close to them. I think Rose cut or French cut diamonds are a much better idea!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1369071572|3450551 said:
I like the french cuts best of all the ideas mentioned thus far. I do not think inverted rounds is a good idea since the diamonds reflect light from the top. It wouldn't do any justice to the diamonds at all to set them upside down! I also don't like mismatched for fine jewelry. I agree for costume jewelry a theme like the insects is kind of cute, but not with diamonds. Just get two identical pairs if you want to share a common jewelry item.

Perks would be, since they're inverted so you don't need nice diamonds, that it is very cost efficient. You can use any ol' poor cut diamonds. Spend less than a few hundred at a pawn shop, and get an old ring to steal a few melee from.

If I did something fun or silly like this, I would not spend over $250-300. And I would not use a PS vendor. Any ol' cheapy person would do.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Are we talking about a grown up of 20 something? (not that that's not a grownup)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results