shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with mom's vintage costume and amber jewelry?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nevermind *** Mods can delete this post****** I am just going to donate the lot of it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bummer! I love vintage pieces and amber, and would be quite tempted if I saw it on DB. But I can see the appeal if donation - posting my few measly ads has given me a new sympathy for high-traffic vendors. I don't know how thy do it!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I read your post yesterday and though others would reply who know more than I.

You are probably in some turmoil now and just want to be done with the cleanup. I would suggest you take a pail and take it home with you. Amber has become very desirable . Its pretty scarce and only comes from the Baltic area. This could be a fun project for you. Get a book on costume jewelry and see whats what. You will have a slow down someday. Good for a rainy day. Look at it as fun.

Annette

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry for your loss but I love amber as well and would love to see it ::) ::)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Luv2Sparkle - I'm an absolute idiot. I didn't see the full post, and I didn't realize your loss was recent, and I am so, so very sorry. Please accept most sincere condolences to you in this difficult time.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all! The loss wasn't recent at all-2002. I have just had all my mom's stuff sitting in the garage in tubs, not knowing what to do with it since then. I have gradually given away much of her things-furniture and stuff and I haven't regretted anything yet. I have kept the things that are important to me. In fact, I have a few pieces in my home that I use daily. I have had her thing for many years because the last few years of her life she was in assisted living kind of places.

I kept the amber and a few of the trafari pieces. My DH said, 'you know, it's not like it takes up a lot of space' and that kind of put it in perspective. I will try to take a few pictures of the amber. I wouldn't wear it. I have had one necklace in my jewelry box for years and I have never touched it. But I have kept a few of her pieces- a long lapis necklace and some man made giant orange pads. I was told they were worth a couple thousand each because of their size but really they just have sentiment and a story. My mom's family immigrated from Poland and when she was healthy around the 1980's she and her sister took a trip back to see family and bought all the amber during that trip.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a couple photos with my ipad of what I am keeping. Circe, i wish I could send you the rest, I would gladly let you have it.

_6300.jpg

_6301.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a photo of my mom's giant man made pads. I had the earrings made into pierced. She also had the amber ring custom made, which just screams 80-90's to me. See the diamond in the little sapphire pendant? It was originally in the amber ring-I switched the stones out. It was her engagement stone from around 1935. I think it may be .10-.15. My DH bought me the sapphire pendant when I got my first upgrade at the LA jewelry mart in 1987-about 7 years into our marriage. The stone was tiny and I wanted a diamond accent just a bit bigger. It kind of felt like joining two worlds to me.

_6302.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pad ring is about 15 ct and the earrings 3.5-4 each. I was told it was difficult to make lab created stones that large. But they are just sentimental. My mom got the ring for herself at my urging when I was in high school and I gave up birthday gifts so she could spend the money on herself instead of me.

The chunky necklace has stuff fossilized in it. I can't make out whole bugs definitely pieces ( eeww!), but the whole thing is strung on fishing wire, which seems kind of funny.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh its beautiful!

If you need a happy home for some of the other stuff I'm accepting adoptable pieces ::) The only amber I own is my sons teething necklace that he wears every day! :rodent:

Wear it in good health!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Luv, I'd take you up on it. :) It's funny, you're the second person this week who's been both, a) really nice about my putting my foot in my mouth/having poor reading comprehension (hi, SC!), and, b) really generous. Times like this, I wish the world was safe enough for us to do something I've seen on other forums - it's a kind of traveling gift box. You get it, it's full of stuff, you take what you like out, you put in things of equal value, you pass it on: you and your friends feel like it's Christmas every ... well, not day, but couple of months, anyway. :)

The fishing wire isn't that unusual - a lot of beaders use something called tigertail, which is a lot sturdier than the usual silk. Dunno if I'd want to leave amber on it in the long term, though ... I'd be scared of it eating through eventually. (Also, as amber is frequently found by fishermen, I wonder if it might just be a case of what was at hand ....)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe, I never thought you had 'stuck your foot in your mouth' -didn't even occur to me. Maybe because I have responded to posts and read them quickly and missed something. Just normal. I do love your idea about the traveling gift box! That would be soooo fun, I wish we could do that too. Kind of geo caching for the bling obsessed.

I wish I was a bead wearer kind of girl, or even a costume jewelry wearer. I guess it is ok that it sits in my closet un-worn. Maybe I don't have to wear it to enjoy it after all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results