shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for doggy owners

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Our dear sweet beagle, Rascal is looking like she is reaching the end of her life. She will be 17 in June, so she has lived a long life. She is very frail, has trouble standing on her own. Eats very little. Spent about an hour last night spoon feeding her. Even then she barely ate. She is incontinent and today I came home from work to find her lying in her own feces. However she got up on her own and followed me to her dish and drank water. Of course she peed at the same time. Poor sad old lady;(

She isn't in pain,at least she doesn't whimper, she seems confused sometimes and wanders aimlessly. Sadly she reminds me of my mom at the end of her days.
She doesn't respond to her name and hardly ever wags her tail.
We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure tomorrow will be her last on Earth. We are all sad and my 19 year old refuses to go to be with her. Santa brought Rascal to him 16 years ago.

My question is how many of you had your pets cremated and kept the ashes?
I want to Chris thinks its creepy and DH will go either way.
Wish us luck tomorrow

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1367359001.jpg

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry about your puppy :(sad its very hard to go thru..we put our beloved dog Pepper down in 2007, she was 12 1/2 and had cancer, we did have her cremated and her ashes are in a nice rosewood box with her name on it...we keep it on the shelf in the living room...I wouldnt have done it any other way...there are such a hugh part of our families. My prayers go out to all of you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Elisa, I am so sorry about your sweet dog. My heart goes out to you and your family.

We cremated Billy (our cat) and keep his ashes in a mahogany box that my dh made. It is comforting somehow to have his ashes with us.

When I was growing up my parents cremated our first dog (my dad considered him a son and he really was part of the family in a way many people just cannot understand) and they still have his ashes on their mantle all these years later.

Sending you lots of good thoughts and hugs at this very difficult time.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, elisateach, I'm sorry that your sweet puppy has come to the end of her journey. It is such a difficult time for all of you... my heart goes out to you and what you are going thru. We did not keep the ashes of our first dog - in hind sight, I wish we did... but we didn't... Do what would give you all the most comfort. What may seem weird at this moment, may end up bringing comfort later down the road.

Good luck my friend. :halo:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about your doggie. :nono: ;(

While hard to think about, and not sure it's even legal, I would prefer to bury our dogs in our backyard so we are close to them but I don't want them in an urn in the house.
I'd rather they help push up an oak tree.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ohh, I am so sorry. It sounds like Rascal has lived a well loved life. I wanted to bury our beloved Spryte but it was winter and the ground was frozen. We didn't consider cremation, because it does kind of creep me out.

Sending you gentle hugs for the days ahead.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear about your pup. We have the ashes of both dogs and cats we were unable to bury and frankly, I find it comforting to have them around.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Condolences. It's difficult to lose a family member. Hugs to you. I kept the ashes of all my animals. I intended to scatter them in their favorite outdoor locations but haven't been able to part with them yet and the oldest have been gone for almost 20 yrs.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
So very sorry to hear this. All of ours have been cremated and kept in small teakwood boxes to keep them close.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry. I just let my dog go in March and I missed him today, he was 17, too.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
So sorry for your loss Elisa. I posted this on my FB page yesterday. Maybe it will help you.

LAST NIGHT
I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said " it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Aw, darn, Woofmama, your poem made me bawl. I lost my best buddy Buck, a Siberian, and my live Teddy Bear, Meat Loaf cat, within a few months of each other last year, still hurting.

Elisa, your little honey looks so sweet. I hope today goes ok & if you must bid her goodbye, that it's peaceful & you know it's the last best gift you can give her. She knows. Sounds like she is ready to hit the road & wait for you at the Bridge. She will stay near you too, don't doubt it.

I've had all of my Siberians cremated -- 4 of them so far -- and have their ashes in a closet in my study. My will directs that I be cremated & their ashes & mine mixed together. They're already part of my heart, as Rascal is of yours & your family's.

Good luck & hugs to you all.

--- Laurie

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Woofmama ;( ... you're ruining my eye-make-up as I sneak a peek at pricescope at work.

Beautiful poem. :saint:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am thinking of you today, Elisateach, and hoping that your appointment went as well as it could....

(((HUGS)))--- just "because".

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Elisateach my heart goes out to you and your family. We had to say good-bye to Rocky our 9 year old Austrailian Sheppard in Feb of 09 because of a brain tumor. My daughter wanted him cremated, it creeped me out, I said yes anyways because I knew that's what she wanted in her heart. Rocky's ashes are in an urn in my china cabinet the plaque reads Rocky forever my Rock Star and his date of birth and death, next to the urn there's his picture with his beautiful brown eyes and shinny black and white fur it doesn't creep me out it brings me comfort xo.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to have made you cry, JF & Pinto. I found that on FB and shared it on my store page yesterday. It made me cry too, but I loved it and found it healing. It is so hard to lose a pet. I hope I didn't upset anyone, that wasn't my intention.

Elisa your family will be in my thoughts.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
That poem made me cry too!

Elisa - I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Losing a pet is so hard, they are family. We did cremate my grandmother's Labrador, and I plan to cremate not only my three dogs I have now, but my oldest horse (his ashes are being spread at a local equine retirement center I hope when that day comes). My childhood home is now a CVS and I was faced with the overwhelming reality that my poor pets were probably unearthed, so now I don't want to bury them but would rather spread their ashes or keep them. :blackeye:

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Another PSer bawling at Woofmama's poem. ;(

Elisa, I'm so sorry for your impending loss. :(sad My parents had their dog and cat cremated and they both have beautiful little boxes on a shelf in their home. They're retired now and don't plan to stay in the family home, so chose not to bury them there. They seem to be comforted by having CJ and Felix with them. *big hugs* and I hope you're able to cherish your moments with Rascal. It's an incredibly difficult decision to have to make even when you know in your heart that it's time.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry that you and your family are in this situation. It's a very hard decision to make. I know it was for me and my dog was chronically ill for a year and a half. It was still hard.

I have my Brandy's ashes in a Lenox china ginger jar that my parents gave me long ago when I started collecting Lenox. I had my jeweler engrave a 14K heart with her name, and it hangs from the neck of the ginger jar on a rose ribbon. Then I bought a special picture frame with faux gems all around it at Fortunoff and put a photo of my BranBran in it. It makes me happy to have her remains with me.

I told my husband that I plan on doing this for all of our dogs. Then, when I or we are coming to the end of our lives, we will take a charter boat trip out to the Long Island Sound and we will release all of their ashes into the water.

The only unfortunate part of pet ownership is losing them, but I think the relationships we have with them over the years and the unconditional love that is exchanged, makes it well worth the pain.

Blessings to you for being such a good Mom to Rascal.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear about Rascal ;( I hope you can find peace during this time. It's so hard to watch those we love suffer.

To answer your question, yes, EQ was cremated and we have her ashes in a custom made sleeping kitty urn. :saint: We also have a very tiny amount of her ashes in our memorial tattoos.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry you are in this position. As a dear friend once told me, the price of love is the hole that's left in our hearts when they are gone. As painful as it is to lose a pet, I wouldn't change a thing.

I have (or had) the ashes of a rabbit, 3 dogs, 6 cats and a rabbit. My partner passed away a few months ago, and when we buried her ashes, I buried the ashes of 2 dogs, 3 cats and the rabbit with her. As silly as it sounds, it brings me comfort that her earthly remains are not alone, and she is surrounded by the animals who loved her unconditionally and who brought her such joy.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear about Rascals failing health. It's so good he has you to care for him. I cremated our first pet and kept the ashes. The cost was 5 times a cremation without receiving the ashes. For some reason I felt guilty about the money. Maybe bc I have lots of rescues and it could quickly get in the thousands. Since then I've kept a lock of hair from each pet and donated the money to rescue for its breed, animal research for the type of disease, or the library. Our lib has a nice program where you can do a bereavement donation and they purchase childrens books about animals and put a plaque on the inside with your pet's name. It was also hard for me to get the call 2 days later to retrieve the ashes. I couldn't do it and DH had to.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
She is still with us. Got her to eat a bit yesterday by spoon feeding her, gave her a bath and cuddled with her a bit. She seems to be happy so we wait. The Vet will come to our house if we decide to. My son is out of town untiul the 10th so we will decide then I guess.

Thank you all for ypur kind words and good wishes.
Can't post from Tapatalk still :(

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear she is still with you all! Holding her in my thoughts --- and a BIG HUG for you! I'm glad the vet will come to your home - that makes it so much more humane and easier to bear...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results