shape
carat
color
clarity

My Catherine Cardellini pearls have broken already!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I purchased these gorgeous pink kasumi type pearls from Catherine last November for my husband to give me for Christmas. Since I have received them on Christmas Day, I have only worn them about a dozen times. I went to put them on a couple of days ago and the clasp came out in my hand. :((

I guess they are strung on powerpro since this doesn't look like silk. I have emailed Catherine as I really don't think these should have broken so quickly. But what would you do? If I send them to Australia it will be a long wait and I'm not sure how to ship something there and I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

If I have them repaired here in the US- I don't know who to send them to that uses powerpro and I'm not happy that it would be at my expense as I really don't think that wearing a piece just 12 times should have broken.
How would you all handle this? TIA

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Is it just a normal single strand with pearls and perhaps beads?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Yes- I meant to post a photo...

broken_pearl_clasp.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have purchased many necklaces from CC so in my particular case I wouldn't panic and i'd wait to see what she says and go from there.

I've not had a problem with my necklaces and the clasp.
however, as a repeat CC customer, should it happen, i'd write her as you did but i'd probably just have it repaired here and eat the costs. but, I am a repeat customer. as a new customer with a new necklace I might think differently.........

wait to see what she says.

eta: I see your picture: isn't that something even a beader [is that a word?] could repair?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
If you would send it to me, I will repair it for you with double strands of silk and knotting between the pearls like she did. I won't charge you for the work.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Looking at the photo again, it appears the clasp just slipped off the strand. The Bullion sleve isn't broken is it?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1367590629|3439569 said:
Looking at the photo again, it appears the clasp just slipped off the strand. The Bullion sleve isn't broken is it?

Aw- thanks NacreLover for your sweet offer!!

I have heard back from Catherine and she thinks I might be able to put the loop back thru the clasp and that it is just the french wire unraveling which I can cut. It's a really small hole and the clasp is pretty thick- but I'll see if I can wiggle it thru. I wish my eyes were a little "younger" or I had a magnifier to work under, but I've made jewelry in the past and I'll see what happens. I can't quite see if the loop is totally intact, but I'll know once I start trying to get the clasp thru. Off to dig out my jewelry pliers. =)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1367590380|3439566 said:
I have purchased many necklaces from CC so in my particular case I wouldn't panic and i'd wait to see what she says and go from there.

I've not had a problem with my necklaces and the clasp.
however, as a repeat CC customer, should it happen, i'd write her as you did but i'd probably just have it repaired here and eat the costs. but, I am a repeat customer. as a new customer with a new necklace I might think differently.........

wait to see what she says.

eta: I see your picture: isn't that something even a beader [is that a word?] could repair?

MZ- I've always found Catherine very sweet and accomodating so I wasn't going to panic. =) I was just sad that I was having problems with a piece so quickly. She, of course, has offered to repair it. My issue is I didn't want to have to send it to Australia for the fix.
Hopefully, it will be a simple fix that I can just get clasp back thru the loop and that the loop is still intact.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like you've got it covered.....it does look like "unravel".
however, i'd probably have my hubby try and fix it 'cause like you I don't have the eye sight and for fine work my right hand shakes too much....sigh.
what a lovely offer, Nacre!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Well ,let me know if I can help. The end of the clasp is open so I am glad you have plyers to close it once you get it threaded back on.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!! all fixed now. I was able to get the clasp thru the loop and have now closed the clasp tightly with my pliers- so I don't think it will pop out again. I'm not sure why the french wire was unraveling, but I've snipped that piece off and hopefully it will not unravel more. Think a dot of clear nail polish would help?

I really should get some readers- too funny since my husband is an eye doctor and has been after me for awhile to get some. I'm like the cobbler's daughter...

It was the unravelled thread that led me to believe that the loop was broken open and with my marginal close up vision I couldn't see the loop was intact. The macro photo helped a little with that.

Thank you , again, NacreLover for your sweet offer and everyone else for your help. =)

PS- Catherine was quite lovely (and quick) with her responses and suggestions.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl:

mission accomplished! is there a neck shot to go with that?! :naughty:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1367648566|3440138 said:
:appl:

mission accomplished! is there a neck shot to go with that?! :naughty:

I'll see if my hubby will take some this weekend- I always have such a hard time with neck shots!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results