shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling old cut experts - vintage ring - yes or no?

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just lately I have started a topic asking for help to identify the cut of the stone in the ring ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-identify-the-cut.188154/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-identify-the-cut.188154/[/URL]) and now I am trying to build up my mind whether I really want it.

In the meantime I managed to get more detailed photos and more information on this one.

First I will post here the specs to start from: The ring is dated back to 1920 and set in platin. Main stone is just about 0,9 ct and is J/si1. Two small single cut diamonds set as side stones totalling it to just under 1ctw.

The colour is J indeed, despite that originally it was stated to be an H. However I spoke with the gemmologist who re-evaluated the ring and got him to describe the ring for me. The stone is also absolutely eye-clean and with the 10x magnification he only saw a couple of super-tiny light grey inclusions. The stone is in a very good condition with no chips or any other damage. However he has mentioned that the girdle is a bit rough for his taste.

Now the questions
1) is it possible to say something about the cut of the stone from the photos? Unfortunately I live some 800km away and cannot inspect the ring in person
2) would you see any issues due to the girdle?
3) what would you see as the fair resale value for this ring based on the additional info known by now?
4) is there is anything else I need to find out prio to making my decision whether to buy this or not?

Thank you very much

_5977.jpg

_5978.jpg

_5979.jpg

_5980.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This looks like a cute Old Mine Cut diamond. I wish there was a good close up of the diamond directly facing the camera, which would make it easier to check if the stone has any problems with the cut (such as too much darkness or fisheye girdle reflection). It doesn't seem to have those issues, but it would be good to know for certain.

Old stones often have some abrasions and minor chips on the girdle. That wouldn't bother me as long as there are no big chips.

I would say around $4K is what I would be willing to pay for this ring (but that is only my opinion).

Hope this helps!

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Gemfever.

One more question - I remember reading that Old Mine cut diamonds were cut to perform under the candellight. How do they perform under the modern lightning conditions (e.g. In electric light and daylight)?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am no expert on old cuts - hopefully those that are, will chime in and help you, but I would check out www.antiqueengagementrings.com for some ideas on comparable stones/settings. It looks like a lovely high crown on that diamond! and the warm colour is very appealing to me.

The girdle could be re-polished, if needed.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dizzie|1367430981|3438307 said:
Thank you, Gemfever.

One more question - I remember reading that Old Mine cut diamonds were cut to perform under the candellight. How do they perform under the modern lightning conditions (e.g. In electric light and daylight)?

I've heard that too of course, but I never quite figured out what it means. A well cut diamond is a well cut diamond, and looks good in most conditions :) I think this OMC will look nice -- not a bright and fiery as a modern hearts and arrows, but completely different and special in its own way. You have to see both side by side to really appreciate the difference and pick a favorite.

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
re: OMCs and their performance in candle light... recently when I was at a wedding - someone noticed that my ering (which is an OMC) was dispersing crazy chunky rainbow flashes all over the place - and she had never seen a diamond behave like that

we got chatting about how my stone was an older cut - which got everyone around the table comparing their stones in the same light

I must say that they all were sparkly - as many were lovely well cut stones - but none were doing what my stone was doing :twirl:

my stone often looks this way when the sky is overcast, under halogen spot lights and in low light conditions - esp. in the late afternoon as the sun is going down

I also like how it behaves in other lights and environments - but it has a very different character to say my hearts and arrows rb earring stones

re: this stone you are considering - the teeny tiny table and outer shape lend itself to being an Old Mine Cut from what I can see

I would also want to see some head on shots before deciding - hopefully some more experts can jump in and assist you further!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
1. It's an old mine diamond but it's hard to see pretty the cut is from the pics. It looks like a pleasing color and shape.
2. Many old diamonds may have issues with chips on the girdle. Have someone look at it and advise on it.
3.$1200-1500 would be what I would want to pay but anything up to $2500 is what I would pay.
4. More pics would be nice, especially face on of the diamond.

Readers digest: The fact that they perform well in candlelight has to do with the lighting conditions at the time of cutting which would have been candlelight and gas lighting. They cut diamonds a little deeper back than so the light enters the diamond and then exits in a prism of color. Later, the lighting conditions began changing and developments in diamond cutting led to the search for a more balanced diamond that performed its best in that lighting.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much to all the knowledgeable members here!

The photo below is just as much of a front view close up that I could obtain from them. Would this help at all?

_5994.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Gemfever.

Mine OEC definitely does things I can't get my modern cut to do in low light settings (and my MRB is no slouch for cut!). Amazing low light fireworks.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Gemfever.

My OMC sparkles like crazy in low light and in sunlight. It's also stunning in my bathroom where I have make up lighting and a few recessed lights. About the only light it doesn't really pop in is the fluorescent lights we have in the office. It's not bad in office lighting, it just doesn't really knock your socks off.

I don't know if that's typical for all OMCs but that's how all of my old cuts are.

I probably wouldn't pay more than $3.5k without seeing the ring in person but that's just my comfort zone. What is the return policy like?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results