shape
carat
color
clarity

The Great Gatsby and Tiffany Pearls

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Has everyone seen the beautiful pearl jewellery at Tiffanys? They have done a range to celebrate their tie in with the new film, The Great Gatsby.

Some of the pieces are from existing ranges, but there are some new pearl pieces too.

I particularly like these:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=29402574&mcat=148206&cid=2605758&fromGrid=1&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+2605758-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=29402523&mcat=148206&cid=2605758&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+2605758-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

I can't attest to the quality of Tiffany pearls however. Does anyone have any and are they any good? Irrespective, I am wondering if I could get the pearls from a supplier (like PP) and have a necklace made up similar... Perhaps not the first one but I do really love the scattered strand!

Just thinking out aloud here...

And there is a lovely video that talks about the creation of the pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pazndIkw08E&feature=youtu.be

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Hey misskittycat, I don't have any Tiffany pearls, but I do know that Pearl Paradise and other companies like Pure Pearls have done movie-inspired necklaces before and they take custom orders. You would probably end up paying more for a custom necklace, though.

naria

Shiny_Rock
I've had PP do custom projects for me and have some in the pipeline as well. The quality has always been superb. Email Jeremy specifically through the other forum and he can give you some idea about the do-ability of your request as well as give a quote. I've always found that custom projects have been very reasonably priced though do make sure to get photos sent to you before it is all strung up since I think there is a restocking fee if you return a custom item (unlike with their ready to wear items).

Anyways, Tiffany's price for freshwater pearls is outrageous on those items regardless of their quality. There is probably a 500% mark up or more on both of those pieces. I suspect more since the bulk of the pearls are quite small.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That tassel necklace looks very pretty in the picture. As far as the price, Ivanka Trump's jewelry line has a much more expensive tassel necklace for a similar look. Still, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to pay that much for small fw pearls even if I like the design.

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
I am coveting almost everything in Tiffany's latest blue book, particularly all things Great Gatsby. And I esp love the two you picked, misskittycat!

Back in the day (2009), when I was coveting Tiffany's 96" freshwater pearls sterling silver tincup necklace and couldn't bring myself to part with $999 plus tax for freshwaters and sterling silver, I contacted PP and got one custom made in 18kt white gold with the cutest & most lustrous 4.5-5mm Akoya pearls for half the price. But in the case of Tiffany's tassel necklace, I would pay Tiffany's prices solely because of their design (:love: the reverse graduated pearls - mirrored on the strand and the tassel - genius).

That said, I do prefer getting the most for my money, and I've recently pinned a tassel necklace that is significantly cheaper than Tiffany's version. Only, I'm not sure of the quality as I don't own anything from London Jewelers.
London Collection Sterling Silver and Cultured Pearl Tassel Necklace with Diamonds: http://www.londonjewelers.com/jewelry/london-collection-sterling-silver-and-cultured-pearl-tassel-necklace-with-diamonds.html
londonjewelerstassel.jpg

Re: your second link - I recently chose a 61" pearl rope from Catherine Cardellini for my birthday that is just amazing, almost as amazing as my siblings and DH's generous offer to let me choose my gift! It's very similar to the scattered Tiffany necklace, but the dimensions are a little different.

My two CC strands - I picked a 2nd strand as a gift to myself because I just had to have it too! The rainbow of overtones on the grey body is magic in real life... Catherine, btw, is the loveliest person - she is so quick to respond and deliver. She even sent additional photos without my prompting. I can't say enough good things about her service ::)
aprilzephyr_catherinecardellinipearls.jpg

Excuse my long post - this thread obviously struck a chord with me :D

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I also love some of the Art Deco designs, but I just can't bring myself to buy Tiffany fw pearls.
I think my trips to China have eroded my sense that pearls are rare and should be expensive. I also have been disappointed with their use of silver. I wish Tiffany would introduce a new "white gold"....maybe try to popularize unplated 9kt white gold and name it something clever.
(I hate polishing silver, but love the look.)

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
aprilzephyr your rope is outstanding. I can see why you love it :love: I would too. Enjoy :appl:

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1366766001|3433325 said:
aprilzephyr your rope is outstanding. I can see why you love it :love: I would too. Enjoy :appl:
Thank you so much, 4RanchGirl :) Not only are they the first strands I've bought from Catherine (and certainly won't be my last), but they're my first pearl strands ever (the tincup does not count haha)... I've def been bitten by the pearl bug - I aspire to have a collection of your and PS'ers' caliber one day!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Harpertoo said:
I also love some of the Art Deco designs, but I just can't bring myself to buy Tiffany fw pearls.
I think my trips to China have eroded my sense that pearls are rare and should be expensive. I also have been disappointed with their use of silver. I wish Tiffany would introduce a new "white gold"....maybe try to popularize unplated 9kt white gold and name it something clever.
(I hate polishing silver, but love the look.)

I feel the same. Freshwater pearls shouldn't be that expensive but the designs are - occasionally - covetable... I have had a few of my silver pieces Rhodium plated and they don't tarnish.

aprilzephyr - I love your Catherine Cardellini strands. I have a couple of strands of baroques from her as well. She does beautiful work!

I rediscovered some faux pearls I bought years ago that are graduated - probably from about 5 or 6mm to 25mm. Obviously more than the Tiffany ones but I might wear those for a while and if I still love them I might look into getting some freshwaters strung. In the meantime, Mr K bought me some Pearl Paradise pearls for Mother's Day so they will likely do. For the moment ;-)

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely ADORE this collection from Tiffany's and can't wait to see the movie! I think I might have to see it twice...once to enjoy the movie and another to enjoy the jewelry :naughty: I really enjoyed the video ~ thanks for sharing :appl:

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
aprilzephyr|1366719942|3432810 said:
The rainbow of overtones on the grey body is magic in real life.

Aprilzephyr - those two strands are stunning!!! I've spent a few hours drooling over Catherine Cardinelli's site in the past. But those are just amazing! Congratulations!

What are the pearls in your strands called? Besides fabulous rainbow grey pearls, I mean!

Thanks!

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
Thanks periwinklegirl! Catherine describes them as natural grey fw pearls - here are some of her photos that show the subtlety of the colors. IRL, they look ever so slightly grey - almost white to the eye - with a predominantly lavender & peach glow. I've always been partial to purples :)
aprilzephyr_catherinecardellinipearls_2.jpg
aprilzephyr_catherinecardellinipearls_3.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
:love: :appl: lovely!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Just lovely! Thank you.

I'm very partial to purples and greys myself!!

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your lovely pearls!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
aprilzephyr, Those pearls are just beautiful. I hope you enjoy them. :appl: :appl: :naughty: :naughty: :appl: :appl:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
aprilzephyr love your new pearls. Catherine has beautiful pearls to choose from. Enjoy your new beauties :appl: :appl:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
AprilZephyr -- your strands are gorgeous, both the shifting colors and the variations in pearl size. Wear them in health!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results