shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all old cut experts!! I need help with this ring!

dralov

Rough_Rock
I have learned quite alot in reading on this site in the past few days. First let me say I have never considered myself to be a diamond girl. I have over three hundred rings all amazing stones from blue lapis to turquoise. However never a diamond. Never was interested. HOWEVER that all changed the day I met this piece. The price seems high, was listed at 19,700 seller offered to sell it at 18,000. Please tell me what you think or if you think I can find something like it at a better price. I checked Ericka Grace site and she has nothing like it. I have learned from another member that it's called a dinner ring.

This is the description: Edwardian Platinum 3 Stone Diamond Ring, Circa 1915 Very Rare~Edwardian circa~1915~not a reproduction, this stunning ring has it all; design , quality and beauty. The center diamond is an Old European cut weighing 1.64cts, G-H color and VS1 clarity. The two flanking diamond are also Old European cuts weighing approximately .65cts apiece. The surrounding diamonds are Old European cuts, single cuts and rose cuts weighing .60cts. Top of the ring measures 1 3/16" tall and 5/8" wide. It curves around the finger nicely. Size 6 1/2, can easily be sized.

The buyer has a etsy and ebay site.

il_570xn_385699210_tvzp.jpg

il_570xn_385699210_0.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Calling all old cut experts!! I need help with this ring

It's certainly a beautiful, stunning piece! However, this particular seller has pretty high prices. If this is the exact piece you fell in love with and everything about it perfect -- size of the ring on the hand, the size of the stones, the look of the piece -- everything! And you can afford it, then maybe go for it. However, there are similar beautiful pieces out there which you could get for maybe half the price. The stones might not be as large or as white (if the center stone in this ring is indeed an H, which is rare for an old cut stone, and not a J-K which faces up very white in the setting), but the piece can still be authentic and beautiful.

dralov

Rough_Rock

GemFever|1365878405|3426284 said:
It's certainly a beautiful, stunning piece! However, this particular seller has pretty high prices. If this is the exact piece you fell in love with and everything about it perfect -- size of the ring on the hand, the size of the stones, the look of the piece -- everything! And you can afford it, then maybe go for it. However, there are similar beautiful pieces out there which you could get for maybe half the price. The stones might not be as large or as white (if the center stone in this ring is indeed an H, which is rare for an old cut stone, and not a J-K which faces up very white in the setting), but the piece can still be authentic and beautiful.

Thanks for responding to me. Out of all the research I've done the seller appears to be higher than everyone else. I do really love it, and I know it's a lot of money so I'm trying to be reasonable. I have been on line for the past three days trying to find something similar. I had no success in doing that. I love big vintage rings all of my rings are actually a little bigger but none of them are diamonds. I had never imagined a diamond ring looking that way. Any suggestions on where I could look for something similar? thanks.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dralov, could you describe exactly what aspects of this ring are attractive to you? Is it the three diamonds, or the look of the diamonds, or the shape, or the dimensions? There are similar rings, but with smaller diamonds. Or warmer diamonds. How important is the diamond size/color/clarity to you? I'll see if I can find anything on ebay.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I decided to see what it might cost to piece a ring like this together. I'm coming to about $15K, for stones and setting (using an estimate of $5K for the setting and $10K for the stones).

Here's a 1.58 K/VS2 for $8K....stones in the .50 ct. range are anywhere from $750-$1000 each, just to give you an idea of how I came up with my cost:

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.php?ID=2773&SHAPE=EU

You could always contact Ari at Singlestone or Joni at 23rd Street and send them the photo to confirm my rough estimate on the price of the setting and then make a decision from there. At the very least, if you decide to haggle with the seller, I'd offer them about $15500 and see if they counter. If you can get the ring for under $16K, I think you'll have done well. Good luck and I hope to see handshots soon! :naughty:

dralov

Rough_Rock

GemFever|1365897239|3426453 said:

I saw these, no they didn't catch my eye. I like the size of the three diamonds and the feminine look of it. In addition I like the color and clarity of the diamonds. I wish I hadn't seen the ring. If it was bigger or longer I'd love it even more. Does this make sense. Thank you for your help.

dralov

Rough_Rock

GemFever|1365959733|3426744 said:

I like them both, but the first has the sapphires, I'm not really a fan of those, and the second is smaller than I'd want, but it is a contender. I put it on the watch list, it has several bids and is up to 1,000 how much do you think is safe for that ring? Thank you for looking for me. I was on ebay all day yeasterday and I never saw these two rings. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I said that if I can't find one now, I'd wait a month and then go back to the buyer and offer her 16,000 and if she says no I'd just walk away. I never thought I'd want something so much.

dralov

Rough_Rock

yennyfire|1365965771|3426777 said:
I decided to see what it might cost to piece a ring like this together. I'm coming to about $15K, for stones and setting (using an estimate of $5K for the setting and $10K for the stones).

Here's a 1.58 K/VS2 for $8K....stones in the .50 ct. range are anywhere from $750-$1000 each, just to give you an idea of how I came up with my cost:

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.php?ID=2773&SHAPE=EU

You could always contact Ari at Singlestone or Joni at 23rd Street and send them the photo to confirm my rough estimate on the price of the setting and then make a decision from there. At the very least, if you decide to haggle with the seller, I'd offer them about $15500 and see if they counter. If you can get the ring for under $16K, I think you'll have done well. Good luck and I hope to see handshots soon! :naughty:

Thank you for your help. And your estimate appears to go along with another estimate I received. I think there is something about the age of the ring that I like. I said that if I can't find one now, I'd wait a month and then go back to the buyer and offer her 16,000 and if she says no I'd just walk away. I never thought I'd want something so much. I finished my PhD 4 years ago and this is a gift to myself. I just usually don't like very expensive stuff but I am mesmorized by the ring, I guess that's the first no-no, sort of like buying a car!. Thank you.

dralov

Rough_Rock

GemFever|1365896390|3426445 said:
Dralov, could you describe exactly what aspects of this ring are attractive to you? Is it the three diamonds, or the look of the diamonds, or the shape, or the dimensions? There are similar rings, but with smaller diamonds. Or warmer diamonds. How important is the diamond size/color/clarity to you? I'll see if I can find anything on ebay.

I also think it's the age of the ring. I like old stuff.

dralov

Rough_Rock

GemFever|1365959733|3426744 said:

I actually like the second one you listed. The videol really shows off the ring. I can start with this one and if I really fall in love with, I can go for the one I originally want. I think I'm going to walk away from that one for the next three months and see if she comes around. Bidding is up to 2, 700 on this one, what do you think is a fair price. Thanks.

dralov

Rough_Rock

Cluless|1365996320|3427000 said:
That ring is breath taking. Have you checked Lang Antiques

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-5714
Hey there I actually did, I saw that ring and this one, which is a close second to the one Nikki has however they stated they are firm on their price. I am going to keep looking because it seems they are pricing higher. Look at this one. http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-5032

dralov

Rough_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results