shape
carat
color
clarity

Pairing non-pearl earings with a strand

naria

Shiny_Rock
So over the past two years I've really gotten into pearls. I had a white freshadama strand as well as multicolor freshadama strand in addition to my tahitian strand. I have earings to go with most of these necklaces, but there is part of me that feels like wearing a full set looks a little to matchy-matchy for my tastes. What other sorts of earrings are people wearing with their strand when they want to break the look up?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear diamond studs most of the time and don't bother switching out of them. Occasionally, I wear a pair of white pearl studs with any of my pearl strands. Don't think I ever matched them.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a pair of Roberto coin hoops that I wear with my pearls.
i'm not into matchy-matchy.....at all.
my pearl earrings I wear with non-pearl necklaces.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I do like to coordinate my jewelry and my clothing. When I don't have earrings that go with a particular pearl strand, I will pull out a pair of my colored stone earrings that go with my clothing. Either a pair of my stud earrings, or my small 14k gold hoops that I wear with colored stone or pearl drops. Now that I have fallen for pearls, my colored stone pieces do not get worn as much. :blackeye:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I have a real problem with this. I like to wear matching items and wearing a chain with pearls or diamond earrings with a pearl necklace seems wrong.
I am sick of wearing studs with strands and pendants so I am branching out. Buying dangle pearl earrings to wear. As you can see I am pretty rigid. :lol:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoy matching, and have pearl earrings that match my strands, but I sometimes wear gold, diamond or colored gemstone earrings with my white pearl strands instead.

If I'm wearing my non-white pearls, I either wear the matching earrings or else gold/diamond, but not colored gemstones, as I can't match them. But now that I think of it, I may try wearing iolite earrings with my blue akoyas next time and see if I like that look.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1364820284|3417809 said:
I have a real problem with this. I like to wear matching items and wearing a chain with pearls or diamond earrings with a pearl necklace seems wrong.
I am sick of wearing studs with strands and pendants so I am branching out. Buying dangle pearl earrings to wear. As you can see I am pretty rigid. :lol:

Lol!!

Because most of my strands are baroque or odd shaped, I don't have matching studs and I'm not a fan of dangle earrings for everyday on me because I have an 18 month old terror, I mean toddler, who likes grabbing things and Yanking. Hard.... Hence the preference for studs. And that's what I like about pearls - they are all so different and individual. Just like their wearers :razz:

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Nacrelover
I am glad someone else likes to wear matching jewelry !!! I thought I was the only one . it looks ladylike and elegant in my opinion while the non matchy jewelry looks more modern (I am 43 by the way ,time to act ladylike ! )
I have some basic pearl earrings that match with most of my strands , studs & dangly .

naria

Shiny_Rock
I like matching jewelery as well. But recently I've been hearing Stacey London's voice in my head when I wear a matching set and she does not approve.

My stance however is that when I want to look more conservative/traditional: match. I'm in my mid twenties but my look is pretty Talbots so conservative is my go to. But I've been wanting to funk it up more recently, ergo looking for advice.

Thanks all who have shared their views. :)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
naria|1364880926|3418406 said:
I like matching jewelery as well. But recently I've been hearing Stacey London's voice in my head when I wear a matching set and she does not approve :)

So funny. One of the strongest influences on my style has been the idea from "what not to wear " that things have to go together but not necessarily match. It was one of the episodes from when the show first started.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, interesting question. I prefer earrings that match the strand, but with the earring pearls larger than the strand pearls. Otherwise, this is probably just my own strangeness, but to me, it looks unbalanced to have earrings that are smaller than the size of a pearl in the strand. So I wouldn't wear a pearl strand with small solitaire diamond earrings. But a pearl strand with large button earrings would work. I like the idea of color coordinating as well, as someone mentioned. A pearl strand with hoop earrings would only confuse me, haha. :)

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
It all depends where I am going, what I am wearing and who I am with wether I am matchy, matchy. Most times I am not matching. With my silver Tahitians I will wear a blue topaz enhaner and blue topaz earrings. I also like wearing a diamond necklace and diamond hoops with silver Tahitian drops on the earrings. I just have fun with my pearls and wear what I love. There are very, very few days in a year that I won't have on pearls.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like matchy-matchy with pearls either, for some reason. Depending on the strand and the occasion, my favorites are diamond studs, diamond hoops and even plain gold hoops.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I don't think I am matchy-matchy. I have 5 pairs of different pearl earrings. I wear Honora more often than others. They are 10-11mm button pearls, and I just like them for the size. I have couple akoya earrings which I wear when I don't want to be noticed. :tongue:
Some of my pearls are done with gemstones, so in a way, you can match it with any of the 5-7 gemstones included in the torsado strand. I think with white pearls I like to wear my 18k gold with red spinel earrings.

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Everyones' comments about this subject are extremely interesting and helpful. Personally, I tend to be rather casual about the matching, usually wear a small hoop earring that in my mind works~if I grab a pearl strand to wear on my way out to somewhere. In my mind the roundness of the hoop usually repeats the roundness of the pearls in a complimentary way.

If I'm making a pearl necklace that will be worn on more dressy and formal occasions, and know it would be difficult to match the pearls (wanting earrings at a later time), I choose the earring pair first, then string up the rest of the strand. Even if I seldom wear the earrings and strand together, they're ready if I need them.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I go matchy-matchy on more formal occasions. Otherwise I might wear a pair of small diamond studs with my pearls. But I wouldn't wear earrings that would compete with the pearls, which is why I'd mostly wear the baby bezels with a strand.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I like to match if its a classic white round pearl set and I'm going for a very polished look. Otherwise I love the look of diamond studs with a pearl strand. So luxe.

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Smith1942|1366244243|3429357 said:
I go matchy-matchy on more formal occasions. Otherwise I might wear a pair of small diamond studs with my pearls. But I wouldn't wear earrings that would compete with the pearls, which is why I'd mostly wear the baby bezels with a strand.

Yes, I feel if a very lucky someone has diamond studs they pretty much work with everything! However, I haven't heard the term "baby bezels" before, what are they?

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you very much for the explanation, Jeweln. Those are very pretty; I like bezel set gems, less likely to get caught on clothes.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

When I wear my "pile" of pearls, I ususally wear an 18K yellow gold ball (looks like a ball of string, kinda woven) and the yellow is coppery so it appears like one of the multicolored pearls in the necklace. Sometimes I wear nothing because the multiple strands of pearls are complicated enough that earrings are not necessary.

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, Sharon: often times I've layered enough necklaces that earrings are just way over the top.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
canuk-gal|1366579003|3431782 said:
HI:

When I wear my "pile" of pearls, I ususally wear an 18K yellow gold ball (looks like a ball of string, kinda woven) and the yellow is coppery so it appears like one of the multicolored pearls in the necklace. Sometimes I wear nothing because the multiple strands of pearls are complicated enough that earrings are not necessary.

cheers--Sharon

Good point! If I wear lots of pearls sometimes earrings are not required!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results