shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I see some garnets?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

~JanuaryJem~

Rough_Rock
35.gif
Hello I''m new to the board, I''ve been lurking for a while, I had no idea, they were a bunch of people out there, that obsess about diamonds, and stones and jewelry as much as I do, :)
Well my name is Ivory. As you can tell by my user name, I was born in January, so was my husband.
So I thougtht it would be romantic, to have my engagement ring with a Garnet. We have been married for 3 years, I must have changed my wedding set 5 times. Well I found one, I brought it a couple of weeks ago. It''s gorgeous. Better than I imagined. Here is the picture, I wish you can see it on my hand, but I don''t have a digi-camera.
7.gif
Gotta work on that. I also just ordered, a 3 mm heavy 14k gold band to wear with it, I''m so excited, I''ve long to be different, with my set, and this has alot of meaning to it being that I can say to people when they ask "Its OUR birthstone". And it LOOKS like an E-ring. Alot of garnets, I''ve looked at, they are usually set in white gold or silver, to have a gothic or antique look to it. I didn''t want that. So here is the picture, I wanted to see some more if that was possible. I love the deep red to it, also being red is one of my favorite colors. Ok I''m rambling now.
Its .58ct cathedral setting. Brilliant cut, 6 way prong setting. And it''s not flimsy either, you can look at it and tell the quality. It''s weighs 4.8 grams. These are the specs from the place I brought it, I''m no expert. I''m very happy with my purchase.
88676-1.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome ring!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Not a ring....but I just had these garnet earrings custom made--almost 2 carats each, briolette''s.

BTW, great garnet ring!!

cheers--Sharon

briolette1.JPG

~JanuaryJem~

Rough_Rock
Those briolette earrings are just gorgeous Sharon.
30.gif
I''ve never seen earrings like that before.Uh oh you got the wheels turning in my head again, LOL Thank you for sharing.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t see why a garnet wouldn''t fir just right in any engagement ring setting out there. Not too many come with the option, but it isn''t too hard to put them together.
36.gif

If you like red garnet, it would be fun to visit Prague: a surprising percentage of the old city shops are jewelers specializing in garnet jewelry.

Allot of expensive ruby doesn''t look any different. I could never understand that... Yours is the right choice, as far as I am concerned.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I got 2 garnet rings in Prague...I don''t know if they are even real (they cost me US$18 each in 2002), but I love them like crazy because they remind me of my whirlwind 22 hour side visit to Prague during a business trip. I cannot wait to go back....what an amazing place. I will post pics of them when I get home...they are set in silver (very cheap!) and I stack them. I just love the glow they give off in indirect light situations, or warm ''candlelight'' restaurants. In regular lighting they are very dark...so I know they can''t be very high quality, but I still adore them!

Addlepated

Shiny_Rock
I just got these pics today and I''m plastering them everywhere. ;-)

garnet-red.jpg
garnet-blue.jpg

It''s a color change garnet which turns from blue-green to red depending on the lighting.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I forgot to say on the other thread: that''s a beautiful CC garnet, Addlepated! Excellent color change. I''m sure you''ll be delighted with it.

Richard M.

~JanuaryJem~

Rough_Rock
That''s beautiful addlepated, I''ve never heard of color CC garnets until I came here. I thought they only come in red.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2005 9:43:6 AM
Author: ~JanuaryJem~
I thought they only come in red.
1.gif
Noooooooo.... the only color garnets do not come in is blue (not counting the shade above). Everything else is out there from colorless (glauco) to black (melanite). If you ever want to collect garnets, you can end up with the entire rainbow. Most are not all that expensive either unless quite large
2.gif

rbrilliant

Rough_Rock
Here is a picture of a demantoid garnet. It is my favorite garnet. It has a deep vivid green color that no other gemstone displays. It usually comes from Russia and can be thousands of dollars per carat.

demantoid.jpg

~JanuaryJem~

Rough_Rock
Oh My that demantoid is georgous.
6.gif
Hey I just recieved my wedding band to wear with the ring. It looks so beautiful together. Wow now I have a new collection to start. (garnets)
2.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2005 9
6.gif
2:16 AM
Author: valeria101

Noooooooo.... the only color garnets do not come in is blue (not counting the shade above).

If the "shade above" isn''t blue, how do you characterize blue? Just curious since it, and quite a few color change garnets from Bekily, Madagascar I saw recently in Tucson, look blue to me.
33.gif

Richard M.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2005 9:31
6.gif
4 PM
Author: Richard M.

Date: 2/17/2005 9
6.gif
2:16 AM
Author: valeria101

Noooooooo.... the only color garnets do not come in is blue (not counting the shade above).

If the ''shade above'' isn''t blue, how do you characterize blue? Just curious since it, and quite a few color change garnets from Bekily, Madagascar I saw recently in Tucson, look blue to me.
33.gif

Richard M.
My English gets sometimes out of controll... I meant that is the one and only case of blue garnet: the daylight color of color change ones.
34.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results