shape
carat
color
clarity

shower vs pearls

stci

Ideal_Rock
Hello! :wavey:

May I take a shower with my natural pearls necklace?

Thank you for you help!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your water chlorinated? Probably chlorine is not the best thing for pearls.

I wouldn't think once or twice would matter, but regularly showering with them? I would reconsider that.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we have well water.....with lots of minerals so i wouldn't do it much less with city water.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Unless it's strung on PowerPro (which is like fishing line) then my understanding is the silk it's strung on will mildew and stink and you'll have to have it restrung. In other words, probably not.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Stci, No it's not advisable to shower with pearls on. Most experts say they should be the last thing you put on after getting ready for the day and the first thing off before retiring for the evening. If you are asking about showering, does that mean you are sleeping in them too?

stci

Ideal_Rock
Yes I sleep with them but I will remove it in the futur and don't take shower like you recommand.

Thank you all! :love:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The pearl board members ususally give advise they know is the least injurious to pearls. There are many sources of this information of which some are listed below. We never know if the person asking the question has pearls worth a few dollars or many thousands. So, I guess the question is not whether a person can shower in pearls, but is it prudent to do so and will it harm them or cause you to have to have them restrung frequently if you do choose to do so?

http://www.cpaa.org/pearls_care.asp
http://www.pearlparadise.com/pearlcare.html

rikalovespearls

Rough_Rock
I think the soaps used in the shower may be too harsh for pearls too.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would be worried about the silk stretching, harsh soaps, body lotion applied after the bath, shampoo, chlorinated water, spray deodorant and all the things in a bathroom that can harm pearls in the long run.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
The old addage still applies about pearls...last on first off...so I would not shower in them.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I think of pearls as being very delicate and also their stringing is, too. I'm very careful with my expensive set, but I wouldn't shower or sleep in any of them.

Since I read on PS that it's best not to sleep in any of your jewellery, I take it off at night. I used to sleep with my rings on. Now I want to preserve my things as much as possible, and also never shower in my jewellery. For years I showered and slept in my first pair of diamond studs, but my things are nicer now. I really can't imagine exposing my precious pearls to water, minerals, soap, night sweat if I'm hot in bed, the strand being jerked as I turn in my sleep, etc etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results