shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think the pearls in this photo would have been faux?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I noticed that in this old family my great grandmother and great aunt are wearing pearls. During this era ( which looks like the early 20s ) do you think they would have been cultured or faux?

_5527.jpg

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re: Do you think the pearls in this photo would have been fa

What a delightful photograph. Have you tried using a magnifying glass to get a better look at the pearls?

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

Hard to tell, I would say. But my grandmother had real strands of pearls like this when I was growing up. The tiny ones might be natural seed pearls. The long strand could be cultured, but still real, not faux.

Pearls were a traditional gift for milestone birthdays like 21sts.

I'm guessing your family doesn't still own the pearls?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

:) No we don't have them. I do have a vase and very old tapestry type fabrics that were owned by my great grandmother. And my mom has a tea caddy they owned. My mom did have some other things that belonged her mother and father, but when she lived in New York her apartment was robbed and she never saw any of them again. But there were no pearls or faux pearls.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

Sad when things like that happen... I would have thought they were real to be honest. More likely than not!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

My mother graduated in 1944 and she wore cultured pearls in her graduation photo. All the other classmates girls had them on too. There was only 4 people, all girls who were in her class. I have the pearls and framed the pearls with a photo of her wearing them.

The smaller strand the lady on the right has on seems like the size my mother had. I wonder how much pearls did cost back then. Do you know the aprox date of the photo? 1920's or 1930's?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results