shape
carat
color
clarity

Sorry - Dup Post. Accidentally hit Enter - Newbie seeking help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

traderz9

Rough_Rock
Please let me know (below) if this is a good price for the quality I am getting. I was thinking about going down to a G or H but the last thing I want is for my gf to bring her ring next to someone with a D/E/F and notice its not as white.. I really dont have much experience with diamonds so can anyone tell me if this should be a concern of mine or not? Will a F be slightly better in color when its put next to a G or an H to the unaided eye?

Also, since most feel that cut is the most important.. would you guys spend the money to upgrade from a "VERY GOOD" to an "IDEAL" ? I feel that I should.

Furthermore, Is the girdle/culet/florscence really important? Should I avoid an ideal cut diamond because it has a "slightly thick - thick girdle" and opt for a "thin to medium" girdle? Does it even make a difference to the unaided eye at all? And culet.. will people be able to tell from none to small?

Finally, online stores like BlueNile and WhiteFlash.. are the 6 prong settings slightly different from each other? Or is it all from a mass produced stock and are all about the same? Or am I just being paranoid here? :D

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful answers.

Possible diamond:

Price: $4,986.00

Carat weight: 0.92

Cut: Ideal

Color: F

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 62.5%

Table %: 57%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Very good

Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 6.21x6.24x3.89

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking about going down to a G or H but the last thing I want is for my gf to bring her ring next to someone with a D/E/F and notice its not as white.. I really dont have much experience with diamonds so can anyone tell me if this should be a concern of mine or not?

Well,......... I have a 1.25 carat J set in platinum that faces up very white and bright. Many jewelers guess it at G. My diamond is more beautiful than my girlfriend''s F. She''s commented on it herself. Cut is the key. You should get out and look at well cut diamonds in different color and clarity grades so you can see for yourself.

Furthermore, Is the girdle/culet/florscence really important?

If the girdle is too thin, you risk chipping. If the girdle is too thick, it''s a point of light leakage. An even girdle is better. You want to avoid extremes like V Thin to Ex Thick. Thin to medium, or medium to slightly thick, for example, are OK.

Fluorescence is only a problem if it causes the diamond to take on a milky or oily appearance in direct sunlight. That''s rare and typically occurs in diamonds with strong flour. Blue flour is advantageous in lower color diamonds as it helps them face up whiter. D/E/F color diamonds with blue flour used to be all the rage. "Blue Whites" as they were called were highly sought after for a while in the 1970''s if I remember correctly.

Finally, online stores like BlueNile and WhiteFlash.. are the 6 prong settings slightly different from each other? Or is it all from a mass produced stock and are all about the same? Or am I just being paranoid here? :D

I don''t know about BN, but I think White Flash makes most, if not all, of their own settings. Not Vatche, of course. They do make the WF and Le lines. WF has a whole staff of smiths that produce their rings. Top quality workmanship.

would you guys spend the money to upgrade from a "VERY GOOD" to an "IDEAL" ? I feel that I should.

The question is will you see the difference in performance? The only way to answer that is to look at different levels of diamonds side by side and see for yourself. Then compare the pricing.

The specs of the diamond you posted are not Ideal in the truest sense. An Ideal would be a GIA Ex/Ex or an AGS Id/Id. Also, the diamond is cut a tad deep. Ideal depth extends to 62.3%. Is the diamond a good performer?? You need more information. Crown and pavillion info, preferably angles. Light performance info. Ideal Scope or other testing analysis will be good indicators. Comparable diamonds currently available thru PScope Vendors range from about $4200 to about $5200 in price. For the same price range, you can use the "Search by Cut Quality" feature on the home page and select from a whole range of known performers and H&A''s.
1.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Great answers from PQ. I'll add a few comments
1.gif

Date: 2/15/2005 11:10:11 PM
Author:traderz9

Please let me know (below) if this is a good price for the quality I am getting. I was thinking about going down to a G or H but the last thing I want is for my gf to bring her ring next to someone with a D/E/F and notice its not as white.. I really dont have much experience with diamonds so can anyone tell me if this should be a concern of mine or not? Will a F be slightly better in color when its put next to a G or an H to the unaided eye?

Most people can't distinguish the difference in 1 or 2 color grades, given similar cut stones graded by the same lab. As mentioned, an extremely well cut round diamond often will "face up" whiter than the grade it received. Another thing is to investigate the different labs - some are more strict than others. Here is a link to a grading lab survey you may find insightful.

Also, since most feel that cut is the most important.. would you guys spend the money to upgrade from a 'VERY GOOD' to an 'IDEAL' ? I feel that I should.

Personally, I would seek the best cut available. As you do your research, remember that not all "ideal" diamonds look the same. A stone cut to the outer limits of AGS0 measurements will not perform as well as one cut to tighter, proven proportions within ideal parameters.

Furthermore, Is the girdle/culet/florscence really important? Should I avoid an ideal cut diamond because it has a 'slightly thick - thick girdle' and opt for a 'thin to medium' girdle? Does it even make a difference to the unaided eye at all? And culet.. will people be able to tell from none to small?

The girdle is important. Extremely thin and extremely thick should be avoided for reasons mentioned. Also, ex thick means too much weight may possibly be "hidden" in the girdle. To that end, the mm measurements (dimensions) will tell you more detail about how large it will appear than carat size. Nothing wrong with blue fluorescence (some of our PS posters are fluoro-nuts).

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful answers.

Designer settings may be made elsewhere and stocked specifically because some people will seek them, but look at the array of products available from each vendor. Whether they are done on-site or not is often stated.

Hope this helps
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results