shape
carat
color
clarity

Dog Chemotherapy

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Our 104 pound black labbie, Louie,who is ten years old, was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor in one of his front toes last September. The vet in Michigan amputated the toe and the pathology report revealed a low grade mast cell tumor(cancer). He adjusted to the missing toe very well, but based on his size the vet is not recommending any further amputation.

We're in Florida for the winter and about two weeks ago I noticed a swelling in the foot above the amputated toe. Sure enough, the cancer is back. We went to see a dog oncologist in Clearwater and they are recommending an oral chemo called Palladia as a start.
The only issue he is having now is that mast cell tumors are very itchy and he'll work at it until it bleeds, so he's also on prednisone .

The drug is pricey-about $380 for an eighteen day supply, but he'll only get it three days per week. The most common side effect is diarrhea. Does anyone here have any experience with giving a dog Palladia? If so what were the results and/or side effects?

Louie is still enjoying life and we want to keep him around for as long as we can so long as he's feeling good.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
He takes it 3 days a week, but how long would he need to take it?

I am sorry, I don't have experience with this directly. I had a golden retriever growing up that had cancer but because of her age (she was 14 at the time), the vets advised against chemo.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Well, reading online I'm guessing at least a year. The oncologist wants him to take it for two weeks and then come back to have the size of the tumor remeasured. If it has no effect (and it's only effective 50% of the time) we have some other options, all of which are more expensive! So I hope he responds to it.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
lulu|1364585493|3416163 said:
Well, reading online I'm guessing at least a year. The oncologist wants him to take it for two weeks and then come back to have the size of the tumor remeasured. If it has no effect (and it's only effective 50% of the time) we have some other options, all of which are more expensive! So I hope he responds to it.

Sigh. At those prices a full year will cost you a pretty penny, but I'm sure you've crunched the numbers already. It sounds like if it does work, it will be relatively quick to see progress? If so, then I'd probably give it a try, provide the side effects aren't too bad for your little buddy. Good luck!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Sonnyjane. I'm hoping someone here has actually had experience with this drug.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry Lulu! I don't have experience w/this med, but wanted to send you some healing doggy dust and hugs! I hope Louie responds quickly and feels better.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks,MC! He is a great guy and my favorite gardening buddy.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When do you head back to MI? Any chance you can go to MSU? My MiL had a cancer dog treated at MSU and in FL and said the FL treatment was more than double what MSU charged. Because its a teaching hospital appointments took longer because they don't run 100% on schedule like a for profit clinic does. Otherwise, she was very pleased with the staff and level of care.

Are there any other drug options? You may want to ask about giving vitamin B shots if your dog has diarrhea or appetite loss.

Fingers crossed for your dogs health.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks,Kgizo! We're heading back to Michigan at the end of April. We live about 3 hours from MSU but would certainly consider taking him there. They are the best of the best. By the time we get back we should know if the Palladia is working for him. It should arrive in the mail sometime this week. It's coming directly from a pharmacy in California.

There are other chemo and radiation options but those involve taking him in for treatment, so if this oral chemo works it will save him a lot of vet trips. Sadly, he no longer likes vet visits since they cut off his toe.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason I asked about other meds is my cat takes leukeran which is a pill I give at home. Not for mast cell cancer so may not apply. Some other things to consider:
Keep a log of vomiting and diarrhea for the first couple of months. I found it easiest to do on my smart phone. Dosage is much harder for animals since the research isn't there so may need to adjust meds if he gets sick. The chemo depresses the appetite and pred stimulates it so for my cat alternating the meds seems to help with his eating. Don't be afraid to work with your vet oncologist to see what is best for your dog.
Check the storage and shelf life for the chemo. Mine recommends refrigeration. Sometimes when I've gotten pet meds delivered an adult must be home to sign. Good to know in advance. If you get from a local pharm tell them it's for a pet and ask for a discount. They price differently when they think the meds are "optional". If you get from CA know your other options. I used to get a pet med from LA and they would stop shipping for 2-3 weeks if a hurricane came through.
I see the oncologist for major checkins and do blood work / minor checkins with my primary care vet. It helps to keep the costs down and my cat prefers the quiter atmosphere at my local vet's office. Keep copies of vet notes and lab results just in case one gets lost since they send so much electronically these days.

I totally get it about the cons of doing chemo treatments at the vet. It is a completely different quality of life for the pet because of the office visit stress. It's a tough call and I hope it doesn't come to that.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. It's a good day to not be in MI.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Lots of good advice, kgizo! Thank you. I already shopped the Palladia online and I think I'm getting the best price. And it will be much less stressful to take him to his own vet for blood work. I'm very hopeful this will be effective.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results