shape
carat
color
clarity

VERY cheap diamonds from Hong Kong?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AussieWombat

Rough_Rock
My friends relative recently bought a slight greater than 2 carat diamond set in a gold ring for ~HK$20000 = US$2560. It was not certified, but apparently "good quality".

Now I read a thread earlier regarding HK diamonds and how they may not be cut very well. Admittedly the dealer was a friend, but is it even possible to get uncut diamond for that price at that size?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it is possible.

For starters, the other 3 C''s rule. Color, Cut, Clarity.

That does not consider light return or transparancy at all (perhaps the stone is cloudy).

It would be unusual for an overall high quality diamond to go for this price. I''d like to see your freind send theirs to a good independent appraiser before commenting more.

I will admit that occasionaly high quality diamond do come in. Perhaps this was the "trade" value given on a previous owned diamond. Perhaps it is the fence price given on a previous owned diamonds (I have heard that fenced diamonds typically do not go for much).

I will note that if there was in general that much money to be made in bringing in Hong Kong diamonds (or any other diamonds) that some of our internet dealers would be swarming all over them and offering them to us at great prices...

Perry

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2005 8:58:29 PM
Author:AussieWombat
My friends relative recently bought a slight greater than 2 carat diamond set in a gold ring for ~HK$20000 = US$2560. It was not certified, but apparently ''good quality''.

Now I read a thread earlier regarding HK diamonds and how they may not be cut very well. Admittedly the dealer was a friend, but is it even possible to get uncut diamond for that price at that size?
at $1300 per ct?,something smells here, it got to be UGLY or maybe fake.

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Generally, if something is too good to be true, it is.

Here, your US$2,560 price does not seem to include the gold ring. Even if the ring is not included, I wonder if your friend''s diamond is even a real diamond?

Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results