shape
carat
color
clarity

Dainty vintage e-ring: keep it or sent it back???

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
After reading a WTB wedding set thread in the preloved jewelry forum and seeing some really pretty, really inexpensive little wedding sets suggested by PSers and other sets from the recommended vendors, I decided that I was interested in a budget engagement ring to wear as a right-hand ring. I don't love the 50's and later stuff, but there are some really beautiful Art Deco sets that make the most of tiny diamonds and bouffant metal. Put a bunch on my watch list, not with the intention of buying, but just to see what happened to them.

I wanted a modest one in platinum, the less expensive, the better. (I told y'all I'm cheap!) There are lots and lots of gold e-rings and sets for under $500 but platinum is scarce even at higher prices. A nice one with a half carat center stone recently sold for over $1200! Anyway, I found a cutie in almost my size (maybe I can squeeze a dainty 7.75 on my left hand....) for $350. Estimated 1/3 carat center stone, estimated .10 points total in two sides stones (I doubt it--maybe 2 or 3 points a stone, but definitely not 5 points if my new six stone ring stones are 6 points, give or take). The platinum leaves in either side looked kind of cool. There weren't any measurements other than weight, so I didn't have a good feel for how wide (or narrow, in this case) the band is.

It took the USPS a week and a half to ship it here from PA! I think it spent most of that time in the sort facility in PA, went through there twice and still took a week to get here after its second run through there.

I love the little thing. I don't have calipers but the stone measures 4mm, maybe a hair more, with my ruler. Looks a little larger than .25 ct. on the printed size/diameter charts, definitely nowhere close to .5 ct. I don't know what cut it is, but it is the cutest little disco ball. Although there is patina and it would surprise me if the head is off just a little, the ring is in excellent condition. The shank is very, very thin, but not from wear. The knife edge even on the very bottom is still very knifey. It's low profile and I expect it would be comfortable to wear if it's sized up a smidge.

However, it is very, very dainty, and I'm not a dainty person. I think the widest part of the band is less than 2mm. I will have to have it resized up a half size to be able to wear it comfortably on either hand, so that adds to the cost. I think it's a good value at $350, probably not overpriced even with resizing. I wore a 1/3 ct. six-prong solitaire engagement ring back in the day when .25 ct. was pretty standard and .5 ct. was almost unheard of in my circle. Many wore only a wedding ring. (Poor college/grad students) But it's still awfully dainty on big ol' me.

And I succumbed to another OEC ering that has been haunting me for weeks, so if I send this one back, that's less out of pocket total. (More on that later.)

So here are some photos. There are four IRL and then I'll include one of the vendor photos that shows the details of the metal work. Closeup photos really seem to make things look much

liz

BabyRing01.jpg

BabyRing02.jpg

BabyRing03.jpg

BabyRing04.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Here's one of the vendor photos that really shows the details of the top of the ring.

BabyRing05.jpg

mylittlepretties

Rough_Rock
It is a very sweet ring and I am a sucker for anything art deco-y however it sounds like you don't really love the ring for you so I think you should return it. I've learned, after several purchases, that I really have to love the jewelry item pretty immediately otherwise, I tend not to wear it or I regret the purchase later. I'd wait for something to really "grab" you. But that is me. Do you find that things have to grow on you?

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
mylittlepretties,

This one is growing on me. I have it on now and I keep looking at it and thinking how cute it is. I can afford to keep it and at some point, it might make a nice ring for my niece if I end up not wearing it. If it cost more, I'd be a lot more concerned about keeping it or not, but it won't hurt me one way or the other.

I have until next Monday to decide. I feel bad about even thinking about sending it back because my initial reaction when I first saw it was one of joy. The vendor shipped very quickly, was responsive to my e-mails, etc. We've already exchanged positive feedbacks and I almost feel guilty even thinking about sending it back.

I'm not disappointed in it at all.

liz

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Its very pretty and that's a good price.
From looking at the photos, I think the problem is that it does not fit you. If you were me, I would keep it and size it up a bit so that it didn't cut into your finger the way it does in the photos. In fact, I did do that with a vintage ring I bought and now I love it and wear it as a right hand ring quite often. Because it is delicate, I feel I can wear rings on other fingers with it, a look that doesn't usually suit me, but is nice with this ring, which is very lovely.
The ring I bought was platinum but there were no problems sizing it up from size teeny tiny to size 6.5. Vintage rings from the twenties quite often are in very small sizes. I am petite but there is no way I can fit into 1920's size rings or the little cinderella shoes women wore then.
My mother has a similar ring to that one you have and she wears it, and it doesn't look too delicate--though she is not petite at all and in fact has a size 9 finger (and is 5 ft. 9)

mylittlepretties

Rough_Rock
Then it sounds like it may have found a very nice home :).

Perhaps like Black Jade suggested, resizing it would help.

LibbyLA|1330552785|3137666 said:
mylittlepretties,

This one is growing on me. I have it on now and I keep looking at it and thinking how cute it is. I can afford to keep it and at some point, it might make a nice ring for my niece if I end up not wearing it. If it cost more, I'd be a lot more concerned about keeping it or not, but it won't hurt me one way or the other.

I have until next Monday to decide. I feel bad about even thinking about sending it back because my initial reaction when I first saw it was one of joy. The vendor shipped very quickly, was responsive to my e-mails, etc. We've already exchanged positive feedbacks and I almost feel guilty even thinking about sending it back.

I'm not disappointed in it at all.

liz

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I think it's really pretty. If I'd bought it for the price you paid, I'd keep it. I agree resizing might help you love it more.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
BlackJade,

I'm surprised that this tiny little ring is actually a size 7.75! I do think that sizing up a half size will make it feel and fit better and that may be all the difference I need.

I'm 5' 11" and large. I'm probably a size 8 on the right hand, 8.25 on the right, so I'm sizing everything at 8.25 so I can wear it on either hand. The diamond band I got is an 8.5 and it's tiny bit loose on my right hand, but summer's coming (although it's 82 out there now, so maybe late spring is already here).

mylittlepretties, Lotus99,

I'm leaning toward keeping it. If the center diamond weren't so sparkly or if I'd paid a lot more for it, I might be more inclined to sent it back.

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its very nice and once sized properly will be even more appealing once is a comfortable fit.

BUT --- I prefer the photo of the new OEC that is coming your way. IMO, that one has more presence and a more solid look and feel while still retaining the vintage look that you are going for. :)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

You're definitely understanding why I'm even considering sending itty bitty back. OTOH, there may be times when I want a modest diamond sparkle when itty bitty can be worn and the larger ring cannot.

I am not sure that itty bitty is actually a 7.75. It surely looks more than a half size smaller than the platinum band, which looks amazingly small to me for something that's an 8.25. I can't imagine what the rings that the tiny 3-5 gals wear look like. I probably couldn't fit those on my pinky!

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA|1330556133|3137728 said:
Enerchi,

You're definitely understanding why I'm even considering sending itty bitty back. OTOH, there may be times when I want a modest diamond sparkle when itty bitty can be worn and the larger ring cannot.

I am not sure that itty bitty is actually a 7.75. It surely looks more than a half size smaller than the platinum band, which looks amazingly small to me for something that's an 8.25. I can't imagine what the rings that the tiny 3-5 gals wear look like. I probably couldn't fit those on my pinky!

liz

I know! How nice it would be to have tiny hands - diamonds would look HUGE! (or tiny anything for that matter - feet, waist, hips.... ;-) ) My daughter has a size 4 or 4.25 and #2 son's G/F has a 3.75 finger. So unfair.... :(sad

LisaForbes

Rough_Rock
So, now I am in suspense. Did you decide to keep the ring? :) When you show it up close it looks beautiful, by the way.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Lisa,

I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward keeping it. The larger 3/4 ct. OEC should be delivered this morning so I'll have both to look at and decide whether to keep both, one, or none.

It really is a gorgeous little ring. The details are wasted on someone like me who has middle-aged eyesight but I can still appreciate them because I know what they are.

liz

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA said:
Lisa,

I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward keeping it. The larger 3/4 ct. OEC should be delivered this morning so I'll have both to look at and decide whether to keep both, one, or none.

It really is a gorgeous little ring. The details are wasted on someone like me who has middle-aged eyesight but I can still appreciate them because I know what they are.

liz
please take pics of both and post :)

Lovely ring

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
OEC is here in town, FedEx depot isn't that far from my house. Don't know if it will make it here before I have to leave, though. Fingers crossed.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I think I'm going to keep her. I love, love, love the new larger OEC, but there will probably be times when I'd enjoy wearing more modest vintage ering bling. If she weren't such a pretty little thing, I'd return her, but she has a beautiful little diamond and the little platinum leaves are a nice detail.

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its only fair to give the larger OEC a day off... best you keep this one TOO so you have a 'wardrobe' to select from ! (Yup, I like to enable when I can! :wink2: )

I'm so glad you like it! That's great - isn't it amazing when you get a deal AND you are extra impressed and happy with it? Life is good...

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I've never really thought about having much of a ring wardrobe so this will be a switch for me. I can stack the platinum band and six-stone, but the erings will be standalone. Will have to keep the wedding jewelry on the right hand, though, or there will be a lot of unnecessary jumping to conclusions by friends and family.

I am happy with what I've gotten for the money that I've spent. I don't know that I got any steals, but I don't think that I overpaid for anything. I do think that the price of comparable new items (especially the .8 ct OEC ring) would be a good bit higher, so from that standpoint, I think that everything has been a deal.

I've never really been one to look for used items but I'm convinced that that's the way to go for a lot of jewelry. There's a lot of dreck out there, but there are also a lot of nice things to be had for reasonable prices if you're willing to shop, be a little bit patient, and have an open mind about what you want.

I'm just glad I'm not feeling the urge to buy something else, like a bracelet or earrings or a necklace. I'm no searching any longer, thank goodness!

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I found out why itty bitty was so snug! It's a size 7 (was sold as a 7.75). When you wear an 8-ish, three-quarters of a size smaller than advertised is a big deal.

I have e-mailed the seller to let him know, but it's probably just human error. I don't really want to send the ring back, and it's at the jeweler for resizing and appraisal. Cost for going up 1.25 sizes (I'm getting everything sized to 8.25 these days, which is a little loose on my left hand) will make this not such a bargain but it's still a pretty little thing.

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
But the added cost to size it is worth it, because you will be able to WEAR it! and be comfortable in it! As Mastercard says... "priceless"!

Glad you are keeping it and that it will comfy real soon :appl:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

I just need more ring fingers :bigsmile:. I'm not one to wear rings on anything but my ring fingers and I only have two of those. There's a limit to what can be stacked, too. I guess I'm lucky that I can wear 8.25 on either ring finger, although I probably need another size 8 platinum spacer. I use that as a "stopper" to keep the rings from coming off my knuckles when my hands are slippery. Most of the time, it's not a problem.

I may end up wearing itty bitty with the wedding band and six-stone on my left hand. I'd told myself that I wouldn't wear any of the engagement rings on my left hand, but I can probably get away with wearing itty bitty. I'm not trying to catch a man (have had the same one for over 13 years now) and I'll just explain to any family or friends who comment that I like vintage wedding jewelry and if I can only wear it if I'm married, I may never get to wear it. So I'm going to exercise middle-aged lady prerogative and wear what I want to wear when I want to wear it. :lol:

(The Significant Other did not even notice a couple of weekends ago when I was wearing the platinum wedding band and six-stone on my left hand and the 3/4 ct. OEC obviously-an-engagement-ring on my right hand, even when we were sitting across from each other at a camper dinette table eating breakfast when you have to be blind to miss my hands. Now if I'd had a new pistol, he'd have noticed that right away...)

I'm bidding on a little five-stone with OECs but I don't think there's much chance I'll get it. There are six days left and I'm pretty much at my personal limit because there's a four-stone with .10-.13 point OECs at that price point that's a buy it now. I don't NEED a four- or five-stone (I have the six-stone with 6- or 7-pointers) so I'm not keen on paying a whole lot for one, but I think I'd like having something with OECs a little larger than in the six-stone because I like to look at them.

I took five rings to the jeweler this morning. I'm having my great aunt's white gold engagement ring resized (just half a size, but that's what it takes) and rhodium plated. I showed the jeweler the prong repair (I think I could have done a better job--repair apparently was done with a torch and yellow gold so the prongs are just squished irregular blobs, not actual prongs) and he about had a cow. And the repair was done in his store, but I didn't realize how bad it was until I got a loupe. I thnk he said that the prongs are going to have to be removed and new ones built, but it needs to be done so I'm going to get it taken care of now.

The itty bitty will be resized and appraised and my other recent acquisitions will also be appraised. I made a list of all five items and what was to be done with them and included all the seller info on them for reference. Won't get them back until the end of next week at the earliest because some of the work has to be sent out to a bench with laser equipment.

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Libby! you made me laugh with the "Now if I'd had a new pistol, he'd have noticed that right away..." Men :rolleyes: :wink2:

Yes, too bad you didn't have more 'ring fingers' on your hand instead of those other 'wasted' fingers... :lol: ... you could fit in your collection everyday! And I'm with ya on the "middle age lady perogative". If it feels good and makes you happy and no harm / no foul... enjoy! Wear those rings, gurl!

You are really getting some wonderful new/old pieces - great finds you seem to be coming up with! Good stuff!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I still don't have my ring back ;( . It has been resized twice. The first time it was sized to 7.75 rather than 8.25 and it broke. Today, I went to pick it up again and tried it on and it was the right size but it broke again. The jeweler had warned me that that would probably be the case. The ring is platinum, but when it was resized sometime in the past, it was done with gold.

The jeweler is going to check on the cost of reshanking the ring. That will increase the cost substantially, but the ring appraised for over $1800. If I use half of appraisal value as my guideline for a fair price (not a steal or deal), I think I'll still come in under that even with the reshanking. Ring would have been a steal if it hadn't needed resizing (which really means reshanking). The center stone is about .32 points, VS2/H-I.

Would love to get this back in my hot little hands so I can enjoy wearing it. It's very pretty.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I am resurrecting this thread because I think that this little diamond is probably a tranny rather than MRB. Initially, I was disappointed that it wasn't an OEC or OMC, but the setting is pretty. I wear it on weekends and I've kept noticing that the sparkle is just not typical MRB splintery sparkle so I got the loupe out again. I think I see a teeny tiny culet and the facet pattern is sort of like large-petaled flowers, more blocky than splintery. It just doesn't look at all like the MRBs I've worn.

So it is an older cut diamond, which makes it just a little more special to me.

(Back to grading papers. Ugh!)

liz

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^Wow, very cool liz! Sounds like it could possibly be an early round brilliant or a tranny. Nice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results