shape
carat
color
clarity

would you swap jewelry with a friend?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this topic came up on a watch forum about friends swapping watches for a month.

one member said...we can swap wives but not watches.. :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um... Yes!

I can think of one friend I'd swap with. She has this AMAZING 2+ carat princess cut diamond ring :love:

But I love my new ring so it would have to be a short term swap.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, as long as hers was insured as well.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. My mother taught me never to borrow or lend things. Something about traumatizing personal relationships. ;)) I don't borrow clothing, shoes, jewelry, or money with the exception of the last one, and then only from a bank. :wavey:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Nope, nope, and nope. Gollum and I share our fondness our our "precious".

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I would but only short term (a day or two). And many of my friends have borrowed from my collection so I have no issue.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
In thoery, it's a nice idea, but I wouldn't do it because of the risk involved. Sure, pieces can be insured, but that doesn't cover hard feelings if something is lost and/or damaged. I suppose if you were sharing pieces that didn't have any emotional/sentimental value it might b okay, but still risky.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the jewelry, duh. I'd swap a lot of things for somebody's Paraiba -- my house, my car, DH, but not my dogs. :lol:

--- Laurie

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Curiously, I wouldn't mind it for a special event but not for everyday. I have no idea why, though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never borrowed jewelry from a friend but I have borrowed a dress and have lent clothes to friends and my sister and mom as well. I also have borrowed jewelry from my mom quite often. Nothing lately but I have no problem borrowing jewelry from her. I don't think I would feel comfortable borrowing something so expensive from a friend though.

Laurie-hahaha. Yes, it does depend on the jewelry doesn't it? :cheeky:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Only from family, not friends. Their jewellery is not that great.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Not anymore, because they think I have so much they think they don't have to return it. Once I had to go to my MIL house and dig through her things to get my gold and jade bracelet back. Plus she has lost family heirlooms. If its something i don't wear, I'd rather just give it to them, that way I don't have to worry about it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't swap personal items, like clothes, jewelry, etc. I did back in high school, but that was YEARS ago ;)) Now, if someone likes something I might give it to them...like I've given my friend a couple of handbags (not super expensive...like Kate Spade) and other items because she's like them and I wasn't using them anymore.

Generally, the only items I lend to friends are DVDs & books and I usually do not borrow those from others. If I want to read a book, I buy it myself. I don't like borrowing other peoples' stuff.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Inexpensive stuff (bead necklaces, silver) -- no problem. Pricey personal stuff (I don't have too many pieces, so the ones I do have I'm usually wearing myself) -- no. And I'd be really weirded out if someone asked me.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
OMG - Hell, yes! I happily share my jewelry with my friends, and several of my PS friends do too.

My mindset on it is 'hey, if something happens to it, I'll get it fixed. Something could happen to it when I wore it too - it's just a material thing." If it were to get lost? Well, probably not likely - in fact, most of the people I know would likely take even more care with someone else's things than with their own, and I"m that way, too. I've lent out more jewelry in the past 3-4 years than I can keep track of - none has been lost, none damaged, and it thrills me insanely to see someone else enjoy it. That's not to say I'd just ship it around without abandon, but I have no qualms about placing it in trustworthy hands.

Heck, when Mara was jonesing to get her first OEC, I shipped my 2+ ct OEC ring cross-country to her to keep for a few months to scratch the itch until she could get hers. I've had her diamond hoop earrings since November - she doesn't wear them much, so they're on timeshare to me.

And she's not the only gal I've loaned to (or sometimes swapped with) for periods of time. Another of my left-coast PS friends was with me a few years ago when I bought a bracelet, and I sent it home with her (that same day) to wear for several months until she would be back here. Another friend had a bracelet I seldom wore for several months with my blessing. I've loaned earrings for girls' weddings, bracelets, necklaces, etc etc., and I truly get joy from doing it. I'm pretty laissez faire about the whole thing, so it's probably far-fetched for me to think any of my friendships would be in jeopardy over it. To me, they are just things.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Ummm FK might fight me, but I will swap with her. And run away forever!!!

Oh and Missy, hand over your's too! I'm grabbing them all while I can!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WARNING all PSers :!: ...don't let YT try on any of your jewelry.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1364271735|3413500 said:
OMG - Hell, yes! I happily share my jewelry with my friends, and several of my PS friends do too.

My mindset on it is 'hey, if something happens to it, I'll get it fixed. Something could happen to it when I wore it too - it's just a material thing." If it were to get lost? Well, probably not likely - in fact, most of the people I know would likely take even more care with someone else's things than with their own, and I"m that way, too. I've lent out more jewelry in the past 3-4 years than I can keep track of - none has been lost, none damaged, and it thrills me insanely to see someone else enjoy it. That's not to say I'd just ship it around without abandon, but I have no qualms about placing it in trustworthy hands.

Heck, when Mara was jonesing to get her first OEC, I shipped my 2+ ct OEC ring cross-country to her to keep for a few months to scratch the itch until she could get hers. I've had her diamond hoop earrings since November - she doesn't wear them much, so they're on timeshare to me.

And she's not the only gal I've loaned to (or sometimes swapped with) for periods of time. Another of my left-coast PS friends was with me a few years ago when I bought a bracelet, and I sent it home with her (that same day) to wear for several months until she would be back here. Another friend had a bracelet I seldom wore for several months with my blessing. I've loaned earrings for girls' weddings, bracelets, necklaces, etc etc., and I truly get joy from doing it. I'm pretty laissez faire about the whole thing, so it's probably far-fetched for me to think any of my friendships would be in jeopardy over it. To me, they are just things.

:appl: Love the way you think regarding this Alj! Very generous and thoughtful! And you make a lot of sense!!

YT said:

LOL YT- I'd be honored to have you wear my ring!! I cannot think of a nicer, kinder or more funny person to wear it... (besides me ofc :cheeky: ).

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't loan sentimental pieces for obvious reasons, but in general I'd say anything else is fair game. Right now that doesn't amount to much, mostly costume jewelry, but I do have a few gemstone rings I'd be happy to lend out if they fit friends!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope - I only loan out stuff that I am willing to never see again, and my jewelry is definitely not in that category.

D

Deactivated member 42515

missy said:
aljdewey|1364271735|3413500 said:

:appl: Love the way you think regarding this Alj! Very generous and thoughtful! And you make a lot of sense!!

YT said:

LOL YT- I'd be honored to have you wear my ring!! I cannot think of a nicer, kinder or more funny person to wear it... (besides me ofc :cheeky: ).
Awwww you're sweet!

As I run away as fast and possible screaming "sucker!!!" Hahahaha

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, my BFF works for a jeweler and can get some pretty amazing stuff to borrow!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm on Team Not Share when it comes to clothes. Between my older sister stretching my stuff out and my twin sister spilling on my stuff, I stopped sharing clothes in high school.

I'd happily trade jewelry for a day (and have with my friends and fellow PSers at GTGs) but I probably couldn't do a months long swap. I don't have enough jewelry to not miss it terribly!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1364334421|3413964 said:
I'm on Team Not Share when it comes to clothes. Between my older sister stretching my stuff out and my twin sister spilling on my stuff, I stopped sharing clothes in high school.

I'd happily trade jewelry for a day (and have with my friends and fellow PSers at GTGs) but I probably couldn't do a months long swap. I don't have enough jewelry to not miss it terribly!
:Up_to_something: ..a true liberal "must share" everything they own... :read:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bump ..:bigsmile:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many many years ago when flatting with some girlfriends, one in particular would ask occasionally to borrow a scarf or a belt and I’d say yes.
One night, still up really late because I’d been watching a late movie on TV, in SHE comes.
She is wearing my great grandmothers gold heart locket on chain (she never asked to borrow it and I most certainly wouldn’t have lent it).
This is my MOST precious piece of jewellery, it is the only piece of jewellery of hers that still is with the family.
I went “ice cold” with a fury I hadn’t experienced before.
“My necklace” is all I said.
She rapidly took the necklace off, put it on the table and fled to her bedroom.
Next morning, all bright and cheery she says “lightly”... yeah, last night the look on your face was really scary you know, I thought you were like actually going to kill me”.
“I was” is all I said.
She moved out shortly after.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. I’m very very careful with my stuff and a lot of other people aren’t.
I had a WF diamond bangle bracelet that I was really careful with and lent it to my sister to wear for her engagement party.
She only wore it the one night but when I received it back, it had all these new scratches on the metal that I know weren’t there before.
I didn’t say anything but I won’t let her borrow anything again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My answer remains the same today.

Yes to family for sure but it depends on the friend.

Must be someone who is trustworthy and would be respectful of the jewelry. Clothes no problem to share as that is easily replaceable but for example for me to lend my Cartier Black Opal to someone would have to be someone I know would take precious care of it while it was in their possession. Heck my mom used to lend it to me before she gave it to me so I believe in sharing with those I love and can trust with my expensive pieces.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lend, never-- give, maybe.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would definitely lend but it would depend on the friend, anyone careless or prone to having too much to drink would be a no! My sister and mother no problem at all, I have worn things from both of them before, my Mum has a large antique collection and is always very generous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results