Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nothing healthy that's for sure... :rolleyes: :knockout:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1363995580|3411424 said:
Lol. To be brutally honest? Cereal and booze.
haven't try that combo before... :lol:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Breakfast: portuguese pastel de nata and a latte

Lunch: huge portion of vegetable lasagne and a salad

Snacks: whole bunch of dim sum and a gigantic virgin Pina colada, followed by red velvet cupcake

Dinner: biriyani and chicken curry followed by sliced mango

Yeah, I eat a LOT.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1364076446|3411939 said:
JaneSmith|1364074869|3411922 said:
monarch64|1364007990|3411571 said:
Luna protein bar
pita pocket with roasted pine nut hummus, baby greens, cucumber, red pepper, kalamata olives
buffalo tempeh with peppers and onions
green beans with garlic and mushrooms
64 ounces of water throughout the day
2 glasses of pinot grigio

This is actually a pretty typical day for me. I've been vegetarian forever and finally made the leap to vegan several weeks ago, and am feeling really great and seeing some benefits. My job is located in the middle of a ton of awesome restaurants as well as independent grocers who have fantastic hot bars and individual portions of raw foods, etc. It is really easy and cheap for me to eat healthy meals, and a lot of days I'll do our grocery shopping on my break. We eat so much fresh produce that we shop every other day at this point. Cannot WAIT til my garden starts producing this year.

Wine fining, from Wikipedia:
"Organic compounds used as fining agents are generally animal based, a possible cause of concern to vegans.[6] The most common organic compounds used include egg whites, casein derived from milk, gelatin and isinglass obtained from the bladders of fish. Pulverized minerals and solid materials can also be used, with bentonite clay being one of the most common, thanks to its effectiveness in absorbing proteins and some bacteria. Activated carbon from charcoal is used to remove some phenols that contribute to browning as well as some particles that produce "off-odors" in the wine.[4] In a process known as blue fining, potassium ferrocyanide is sometimes used to remove any copper and iron particles that have entered the wine from bentonite, metal winery and vineyard equipment, or vineyard sprays such as Bordeaux mixture. Because potassium ferrocyanide may form hydrogen cyanide its use is highly regulated and, in many wine producing countries, illegal.[7] Silica and kaolin are also sometimes used.[4]
Some countries, such as Australia and New Zealand, have wine labeling laws that require the use of fining agents that may be an allergenic substance to appear on the wine label. A study conducted by the University of California, Davis Department of Viticulture and Enology, however, found that no detectable amount of inorganic fining agents, and only trace quantities of proteinaceous agents, are left in the wine.[4]"

I'm not sure if you knew this, or if it bothers you. By the way, is there a tasty vegan cheese? I love cheese.

I appreciate the information. My advance into eating a vegan diet has more to do with getting my weight to a healthier point right now and less to do with the ethical side of things, so I'm ok with the wine fining thing although I'm not happy to learn it.
I tried "vegetarian" cheese once (it still had casein listed as an ingredient) and it wasn't very good. I am trying to mentally cure myself of my cheese addiction and substitutes won't help me with that, so I just don't pursue them. (Kind of like using electric cigarettes to quit smoking, kwim?)

Rubyshoes, not only do we have food preferences in common, but I am a giant lover of all things Oz. ;))

Missy! I didn't realize you were vegan/pescatarian! I also love seafood but we live in the Midwest so now I only eat it when we're on a coast, which is so infrequent I don't even call myself pescatarian anymore. My husband is also vegetarian but he'll never get rid of cheese!

Hi Monnie! :wavey: I've been a vegan since I started thinking about the fact they were animals we were eating. So for me it is purely due to ethical reasons. ::) My parents were none too happy but really had no choice. Once I moved out (in college) it was full blown vegan until my thirties when I became a bit more flexible and switched b/w vegan and pescetarian. During the summer I eat more fish and during the winter it is easier for me to maintain being a vegan but I am good with the compromise for now. My dh has reduced the amount of meat he eats and now rarely eats red meat and occasionally eats chicken/turkey but now he frequently eats more the way I do which is a win win. For us and the animals we aren't eating LOL.

As for cheese, I sometimes miss it but it doesn't like me anyway as it causes inflammation on my face. I have tried vegan cheese that was pretty good but I'm sorry-I cannot remember the details to share. My very favorite vegan restaurant (Angelika Kitchen) can change almost anyone's mind about eating vegan (ie that it is boring and not yummy) cause their dishes are amazing. Made a convert out of more than a couple of my friends.

For me it's more of an ethical issue than health issue but I make no judgments. Some of my favorite people are omnivores. :bigsmile:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread! :))

I had a positive cholesterol test result a month ago, which I think was a false positive (as I had wagyu beef cheek ragout and burrata cheese the night before - I know stupid! :rolleyes: ). So ever since then, I've cut out butter, cheese, fois gras, cookies, chocolate and all yummy stuff from my diet completely...well almost completely...and intend to make these permanent lifestyle changes. I now eat fish 3-4 times a week and also consume nuts on a daily basis as well as plenty of fruit and vegetables.

However, since I had a second test last Friday and am awaiting the result (which I hope will show a negative result/ low cholesterol readings - touch wood), I indulged a little bit this weekend. Today, I had:

- for brunch: milo (a malted drink); followed by smoked salmon on bagel with low fat cream cheese, tomatoes, coriander, spring onions and red chilies; followed by a quarter of a rock melon & a couple of small squares of chocolate
- mid-afternoon snack: a medium sized baked sweet potato
- dinner: red fish curry with very little coconut milk, different types of mushrooms, aubergine, tomatoes, plenty of fresh herbs and a mix of brown and white rice, a half-glass of sauvignon blanc and a G&T made with very little gin and half tonic water, half Perrier

I also drink about 1-3 litres of water a day, depending on whether I exercise or not, which I do about 3-4 times a week.

ETA: I just had 6 unsalted macadamia nuts and am thinking of having a banana shortly.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
For any vegetarians or vegans out there, you should check out http://www.barnivore.com/ It lists a ton of beer, wine and liquor and tells you if it is suitable for vegetarians. Many are, but some aren't. This matters to me as I have been a vegetarian for 22 years. These days I strive to make most of my meals vegan, but I do occasionally enjoy some ice cream or something with cheese.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alistra|1364141186|3412300 said:
For any vegetarians or vegans out there, you should check out http://www.barnivore.com/ It lists a ton of beer, wine and liquor and tells you if it is suitable for vegetarians. Many are, but some aren't. This matters to me as I have been a vegetarian for 22 years. These days I strive to make most of my meals vegan, but I do occasionally enjoy some ice cream or something with cheese.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Alistra!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Half Bar of 80% cocoa chocolate with an espresso.
Homemade bread, toasted and spread with peanut butter.

Veggie soup and more of the bread.

A hot cross bun and some coffee.

A bunch of grapes, some carrot sticks and a bit of grilled chicken I was preparing for tomorrow's sandwiches.

Oven roasted fillet of beef, wrapped in pesto and parma ham, with spinach and pine nut salad and some steamed green beans and baby roasted potatoes.

Wine.

Wine

More wine.

Wine? Ah, go on then...

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
So far today:

Breakfast: 1.5 slice of multigrain toast with cheddar slices melted on top
Mid-morning snack: 1 small plate of strawberry and spring greens salad, the other 1/2 slice of toast with cheese
Lunch: 2 chicken soft tacos, a hand full of nachos, and a few fries (Del Taco with kids)
Dinner: Planning to cook some udon noodle soup with chicken and bok choy

1 cup coffee with coffeemate, 2 glasses of water, and a large unsweetened ice tea.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Fun thread! I agree with the PP who said weekend days look different than week days, but here's what I ate today (Sunday):

Brunch: 2 cups of coffee with skim milk, 1 large banana with peanut butter
Dinner: 2 poached eggs, 1 slice whole wheat toast, root vegetable hash, 1/2 pint beer
Snack: About 8 honey wheat pretzels (1 serving)
Snack #2: Nibbles of this and that while I cooked a big pot of veggie chili for the week ahead
Dessert: I'm about to meet a friend for an ice cream cone ;))

Here's what (I think) I ate on Friday:

Breakfast: Latte made at home with 4 oz skim milk, Balance bar
Lunch: Honey wheat pretzels with 1 Babybel cheese, grape tomatoes, 1 box raisins
Snack: Chobani nonfat yogurt
Dinner: Assorted vegetarian dim sum
Dessert: 1 child's milk chocolate bunny

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
LittleRiver said:
Fun thread! I agree with the PP who said weekend days look different than week days, but here's what I ate today (Sunday):

Brunch: 2 cups of coffee with skim milk, 1 large banana with peanut butter
Dinner: 2 poached eggs, 1 slice whole wheat toast, root vegetable hash, 1/2 pint beer
Snack: About 8 honey wheat pretzels (1 serving)
Snack #2: Nibbles of this and that while I cooked a big pot of veggie chili for the week ahead
Dessert: I'm about to meet a friend for an ice cream cone ;))

Here's what (I think) I ate on Friday:

Breakfast: Latte made at home with 4 oz skim milk, Balance bar
Lunch: Honey wheat pretzels with 1 Babybel cheese, grape tomatoes, 1 box raisins
Snack: Chobani nonfat yogurt
Dinner: Assorted vegetarian dim sum
Dessert: 1 child's milk chocolate bunny

I just remembered that I had several large handfuls of trailmix from the office kitchen on Friday.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Coffee for breakfast (I don't eat food until lunch), mexican food for lunch (chips/salsa and steak tacos), and a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter for dinner.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who knew this would be so facinating!? I love the variety and diversity in people's lives. :bigsmile:

Mine is easy as hubby and I eat similar thing most days. We mix it and and treat ourselves mostly on weekends instead.

Breakfast: Double shot black coffee, no sugar. Uncle Toby's Quick Oats made with soy milk and I add a spoon of honey on top.

Morning Tea: Cup of tea with lite milk - no sugar.

Lunch: Half an omlette with onion, tomato, cheese, capsicum, ham, spinach and carrot inside it, (Hubby eats other half) and an apple.

Afternoon Tea: Cup of tea with lite milk - no sugar. Maybe a piece of fruit or carrot (depending on what i took to work).

Dinner: Grilled turkey steak with raw veggies.

Pudding: Mixed unsweetened berries with blob of natural yoghurt on top. Another cup of tea (decaf). 2 small squares of Lindt dark chocolate (YUM!).

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Interesting reading about what others eat - gives me ideas to change up what I eat!

This is not a typical day since it's the weekend:

Early breakfast - half a croissant and some pâté ( I ate the other half last night before bed :(sad )

Brunch/late breakfast - Jamaican meat patty

Lunch - Costco hotdog with mustard, onions and sauerkraut

Shopping Snack - venti passion tea lemonade with a very berry coffee cake and some of DH's caramel macchiato

Snack while cooking dinner - 1 salted caramel and chocolate mini biscotti (my treat purchase at Costco, I think the brand is Nonni's)

Dinner - prime rib roast with gravy, brussel sprouts sautéed with bacon and onions, sautéed mushrooms, and roasted potatoes

Snack - watermelon

Late snack - 2 more mini biscottis (salted caramel and chocolate)

Late, late snack - more watermelon chased by fibre gummies and multivitamin gummies.

Looking back at my list for today, I feel like a Hobbit :shock: I also need to make myself drink more water

ETA : I now feel like sneaking off to the pantry for another biscotti. I shouldn't have bought them cuz those things are so freakin' addictive!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel the need to confess.....

Breakfast: smoothie with 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, 5 frozen strawberries, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder

Lunch: salad with 3/4 avocado, 4 oz chicken, tomatoes, 1 TBLS feta, and 2TBLS trader joes lite cilantro dressing

Snack: fresh pineapple and mango and damn, 1 slice of cheesecake leftover from my son's birthday over the weekend. Why did I eat that?
I even ate it standing in front of the fridge....damn damn damn. I didn't even eat any over the weekend...damn damn damn.

went on 2nd 40 minute walk to try to mitigate the calories......

dinner...still to be eaten-veggies only. 2 pts. left for the day after the cheesecake debacle......

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I dunno, a hard boiled egg and a cup of chocolate milk. 2 cups of coffee.

cheers--Sharon

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
This thread is almost as fascinating as the ones with jewels!

DH and I have been mostly vegetarian for a good 6 months or so now. I no longer cook meat in the house, but I will sometimes enjoy it (usually fish or shellfish) when we are out to eat. DH still has a turkey sandwich most days, but we "converted" for environmental reasons and because we felt so much better when we weren't eating meat!

Today's meals:
Breakfast: Breakfast cookies made with banana, oats, chia seeds, and vanilla; earl grey tea with a squeeze of honey.
Morning Snack: Homebrewed french press coffee with a splash of Half and Half and Kahlua (we work from home!) and Pirate's Booty.
Lunch: Leftover quinoa patty, meyer lemon scone
Afternoon Snack: Small croissant from Whole Foods while doing some grocery shopping
Dinner: Short grain brown rice, red kidney beans, and sauteed veggies (leeks, fennel, red pepper, mushrooms, and kale) in a slightly creamy white wine sauce.

Over the course of the day I've also had 88+ ounces of water and will probably have at least one more glass before bed.

I usually eat more for the morning snack and lunch, but due to a heavy workload this morning I was attached by my eyeballs to the computer screen and didn't really have a chance to make more substantial snacks.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Br: 2 hard boiled eggs with slice of aged goat cheese. Lots of coffee with a bite of Kind bar.

Lunch: Mixed greens with tomatoes, mayo and tilapia fillet.

Dinner: Cup of kale soup with liver pate on top of a slice of swiss cheese.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think this thread is training me to keep a food journal....and I think I'm eating less now that I'm writing it all down!

So far today I've had

1/2 cup granola with whole milk, coffee with 1 tsp sugar, and milk

5 pretzels ( the are about 3" I buy the costco kind in a giant tub)

1/2 giant Asian Pear

1 can of low sodium Chicken Soup with Wild Rice.

No idea what the plan is going to be for dinner, but we are due to make a run to Costco....perhaps a slice of combo pizza!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results