shape
carat
color
clarity

I think my identity has been stolen...please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Today I tried to buy a song on iTunes...but apparently I kept putting in the wrong password, which I knew wasn''t wrong.

Eventually, I had to "reset" the password, but it said the confirmation would be sent my e-mailing in "q.com"...which, isn''t an account I have.

Curious, I went into my account information and found that while my credit care on file was still legit, the billing name, address, phone number and all of that had been changed. Someone hacked into my account, clearly. This person is male, lives in Tucson Arizona. I have his number and name, which check out with an online directory I found.

I immediately got on the phone with Apple and tried to sort this issue out--paranoid, of course--that this person was having a field day on my dime. Not so. Apparently, this person has only "repurchased" items that I previously did. Apple''s only suggestion was to "change my password"...

I ended up feeling incredibly frustrated and called the Tucson police wanting to file a complaint...they couldn''t help me, saying that only my hometown department could help.

So...I called my hometown department...they said only Tucson could do anything.

Again, I called Tucson. Nothing on their end had changed. They did, however, suggest that I get a credit report pulled ASAP to figure out what was going on.

I immediately found a service online that pulls all three reports...and what do you know, my credit had been frozen due to a security freeze and I have to mail-order request copies of my report.

My husband is out of town...and I don''t know what to do. The police won''t help. I can''t close my accounts because my husband is out of town with only our debit card...and I think the issue is bigger than my debit account anyway...

What should I do?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t offer any help Italia but I just wanted to send you hugs. It must be incredibly frustrating for you.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
Call the credit reporting agencies directly, along with your bank and credit card accounts. You should be able to freeze your credit (not sure if this is the same as the frozen credit you spoke of) and any place that tries to take out credit in your name has to contact you to see if it is legit. Basically, I think you need to get it on file everywhere so the banks and credit card companies have it on file. Sorry I don''t remember more, my Mom is usually my reference for this stuff (she works in a credit union) and I am unable to get ahold of her today. Good luck!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call your credit card issuer.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-deal-with-identity-theft.htm

The first step you should take to deal with identity theft is to place a fraud alert on your credit reports and review your credit report to determine the occurrence of fraud. By placing a fraud alert on your credit report, you are preventing any subsequent accounts being opened in your name. You will need to contact all three major credit reporting agencies: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. After placing a fraud alert on file, you will be entitled to a free copy of your credit report from each agency. Review the report thoroughly looking for inquiries from companies you have not dealt with and for accounts you did not open.

Italia: I wish you well as you deal with this. Seriously though... this isn't where you should be right now. Check out the link above to figure out who you need to contact.

ETA -- here's another source:http://www.ehow.com/how_4875682_deal-identity-theft-happens.html

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I do not have credit cards...we only have a debit card.

My husband is out of town this weekend, and I don''t want to freeze/suspend/heighten the security on the card he has because he''d be stranded without anything to fall back on if they lock it up. Normally, we wouldn''t care...all the activity would be local, but he''s in NC...that would look suspicious and they would decline him--I can''t do that to him.

I am going to try to call the agencies directly....I just hope they have weekend hours...

In 2003 I had my identity stolen by my Ex and his then girlfriend. It was a nightmare. My husband''s first reaction was "maybe he never stopped"...and this could be. The last time I used my credit was in late 2009 when we applied for a mortgage. Before that, it was in mid-2008. I don''t check my stats often, I know I should...but we deal mostly with cash, and it just slips my mind. Now, I go to check and my reports are frozen due to security reasons--very scary.

I''m just angry. Angry with the police mainly for not helping me. I''m at a total and complete stand still and even when something happens--if something happens--even then I have no faith they will do anything. I don''t know how to navigate this stuff...I need help, and the one time i turn to law enforcement, they can''t help me. I''m really mad...this is my LIFE here.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
call your bank, explain everything to them and ask what you should do. he doesn''t need the card to use it, obviously. perhaps your husband can withdraw cash for the remainder of his trip and then you can freeze the acct.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Is your debit card a Visa or Mastercard? Either of those companies will expedite a card to you or your husband''s location.

I understand he will be home tomorrow-you said weekend? But if this ever happens again, utilize the benefits of the Marque of your card.

Geeze, if it is a debit that means you ARE more at risk during this venerable time. A credit card unauthorized use is just a number, but a debit it is actual funds from your account. Honey you really need to stop all transactions, you have too much too loose.

The same thing happened to me but it was a credit card. They canceled my account number and expedited a new card with all the old account history. Just changed the number. I had to sign an affidavit that the charges were not mine. And that was that. I asked for a "semi" freeze as I had some automatic payments that couldn''t be denied and that wasn''t available.

So sorry Italia. I know you feel violated and angry. Canceling the card is your only option. It is just canceling the number, not the account. Get the company to courier a new card to your husband. There should not be a fee to you.

Hugs and pats. I am so sorry you are all alone and frustrated.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone, thank you for responding...

I''ve been pretty frantic and trying to figure out how to be calm and still get everything done...

I went to the ATM this morning, I needed cash for an outing I needed to go on...and my account was frozen. I didn''t freeze it yesterday and neither did my husband. I was really scared at that point, not for myself--but for my husband who is traveling and needs access to funds whenever.

I ended up lifting the freeze, but was able to put a hold on the account, meaning on transaction locally and in NC can processed.

Tuesday, once Mark is home, I will be able to really get knee deep in the cancel/freeze process...but until then I''m just trying to stay level headed and tackling one thing at a time.

Thanks all for the support...it means so much to me, and I genuinely appreciate it!

Grrr that really bites!!!! Why can people be so low?
7.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Did you get your situation figured out Italia?

I found out recently that I am a victim of identity theft. Someone, somehow is getting into employees files at a place I worked years ago. So far 3 people including me are victims in connection with this employer/department.

I have to throw out a PSA maybe it''s obvious but it wasn''t for me. For any site you have personal info bank, bills etc.. that use security questions like What is your father''s middle name, mother''s maiden name, high school, pet name, DO NOT put the correct answer to those. make something up. Names connected to you can be easily found on line by searching your name (That is how they got me).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How awful. I hope they catch them and that everything gets straightened out.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Italia, I am so, so sorry! What a nightmare, especially with your husband travelling!

Now that you have a freeze on the account for all non-local or NC transactions, I would have you and your husband withdraw enough cash for the next two weeks and completely close the account. I know it''s a pain, but I would set up a new account, have new debit cards re-issued, etc. Not sure if you have your bills automatically withdrawn from this accout, but obviously all of that is something to take into consideration since you''ll need to call them and give them the new account info.

The fact that you are getting a run-around with the police is truly frustrating. I would probably go down to my local police station and state my case again if I were you. It might be harder to brush you off in person and if they say that you need to call Tuscon, I might ask them if this is something THEY could help you with since you have gotten nowhere.

Again, I''m so sorry. This creep hacked into your account and now you are spending hours trying to sort it all out. What an %*$#&*, to put it lightly.

labellavita81

Shiny_Rock
What was the outcome Italia?

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw this post, Italia, and while I don''t have any advice, I hope you were able to work this all out! Hugs!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a really old thread. I hope you're doing okay if you're still reading, Italia!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results