shape
carat
color
clarity

Automatic bidding grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

stci

Ideal_Rock
I lost a lapis lazuli earrings cause someone used automatic bidding on Ebay. They stole my bid at -1 minute.

What do you think of this automatic bidding system?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't have to use automatic bidding to bid with less than a minute. I always bid with less than 30 seconds left if I want to try and win something.

stci

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1364168535|3412561 said:
You don't have to use automatic bidding to bid with less than a minute. I always bid with less than 30 seconds left if I want to try and win something.

When you bid you have to write the amount and confirm. I don't have time to do that in less than 30 secondes. You are very fast! :Up_to_something:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I have my bid entered and don't press confirm until the last 10 seconds. I've never used an auto bid program. I agree though, even though I snipe, it's frustrating for auctions to skyrocket at the last moment. It happens so frequently!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stci|1364168145|3412559 said:
What do you think of this automatic bidding system?

Great when it works in your favor . . . sucks when it doesn't.

Good deals can be had by sniping.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used sniping programs in the past and I probably will in the future. Sometimes I have the winning bid, sometimes I still get outbid. I occasionally enter last-second bids "by hand." But - I can't always be there for the close of an auction, and I don't always want to signal my intentions. Often if I'm sniping I've already entered a lower bid.

I'm sorry you lost out on those earrings, but IMHO you lost out not because somebody "stole" them but because somebody was willing to pay more for them than you were willing to bid. If there were previously no other bidders then yeah, they snuck up on you. But if there were other bidders on the item, no matter how low their bids, you had been put on notice that others were interested and could, potentially, come in at the last minute and outbid you. So if you're going to hang around your computer for the end of an auction anyway, enter your own late bid for the max amount you're willing to pay for that item... and you might just win it!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I have sniped many an auction right at the end - and I have also been sniped - it's all a part of participating in an auction format :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1364171614|3412600 said:
I have my bid entered and don't press confirm until the last 10 seconds. I've never used an auto bid program. I agree though, even though I snipe, it's frustrating for auctions to skyrocket at the last moment. It happens so frequently!

Same here. But I think it is better to bid at the end rather than see the item bid up days before. To me, it is most fair for everyone to make their best bid at the end. I win some and I lose some, and that is fine because it keeps me from paying more than I should!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I do the same thing. I never bid the days going into an auction.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1364179006|3412676 said:

Same here. But I think it is better to bid at the end rather than see the item bid up days before. To me, it is most fair for everyone to make their best bid at the end. I win some and I lose some, and that is fine because it keeps me from paying more than I should!

Me three! I'm sorry you lost the earrings, hopefully an even better set will come along soon! ::)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tammy77|1364183405|3412716 said:
diamondseeker2006|1364179006|3412676 said:

Me three! I'm sorry you lost the earrings, hopefully an even better set will come along soon! ::)

Me four. And sometimes, even if I'm not bidding at all, I'll sit and watch the last minute of an auction to see the crazy jumps in the last few seconds. :rodent: I find it frustrating if there is no jump at all... takes all the excitement out of it :devil:

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a 10 second before the end bidder too. A lot of times that's the only way I win. I have lost too because a lot of people bid in the last seconds. I hadn't heard of snipe bids until my BIL mentioned it recently. But I like the excitement of watching in the last seconds and celebrating a victory! I often watch just to see what the auctions ends at too :)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I use bid sniper software at times. The advantages are that I am not committed to buy until that bid is placed (assuming I win), I can revise or cancel my intended bid at any time until the very end of the auction, and I can usually win for a lower price by sniping. If I see a deal that I am interested in, and there are no bids on it yet, I'll place a small bid just because that locks the seller into that starting price and they can't revise the opening bid after that, unless they cancel my bid first. Then I can sit back and watch all of the other offerings for 6-10 days and see if any better or more interesting deal comes along that would make me not want the one that I bid on.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
TC1987 said:
I use bid sniper software at times. The advantages are that I am not committed to buy until that bid is placed (assuming I win), I can revise or cancel my intended bid at any time until the very end of the auction, and I can usually win for a lower price by sniping. If I see a deal that I am interested in, and there are no bids on it yet, I'll place a small bid just because that locks the seller into that starting price and they can't revise the opening bid after that, unless they cancel my bid first. Then I can sit back and watch all of the other offerings for 6-10 days and see if any better or more interesting deal comes along that would make me not want the one that I bid on.

This exactly!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I use snipping programs 100% of the time for auctions. The only times I don't is for buy it now or best offer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results