shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone else collect these antique jeweled mesh bags?

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
I have been collecting these antique gold bags for about 20 years. I just love them. I use them on chains as necklaces or as evening bags. Now with the price of gold so crazy it is hard to add to my collection. Here is my favorite with 18k gold mesh , diamonds, sapphires and a gold tassle with tiny seed pearls

Attachments

• _32.bmp
    6.1 MB · Views: 1,170

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is solid gold? :shock: Decadence! It looks lovely. Do you have a pic of how you wear it as a pendant? How big (or small) is it actually?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Incredible!! I would also love a picture with perspective to get a sense of scale. It is so delicate. Wow!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
bbziggy, That is so cool! I see these at auctions sometimes but they always go so high and I have never seen one this pretty! I would love to see the rest of your collection, thanks for sharing :wavey:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, what a coincidence! I DO collect these, and I just got the prettiest little sterling-and-gold dance compact at my local flea market yesterday: I was trying to figure out if I should post it or not! I mean, sure, back in the day it was a practical item, but now ... pure jewelry. I am thinking I might use it as a locket. No gold ones here, though, because of the cost, only silver. Yours is BEAUTIFUL. I love that little pearl tassel - so many of them are missing these days! Wonderful to see one in mint condition.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Wow Circe I would love to see yours. This one is 18k solid gold mesh.I use this one as evening bag only since it is too big to wear on my neck. It is 8 inches from clasp to end of tassel. The handle is 5.5 inches. It has a sapphire on the clasp and on on the slide for the handle. I will photograph the rest of the and show you how I can use them as necklaces on old watch chains. Iused to get them at antique shows when gold was low. Now they must melt some of them . Crazy prices now!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It breaks my heart when I hear about the amazing craftsmanship of the past being destroyed. No matter how high gold goes, there has to be somebody who appreciates the intrinsic value of human labor ... right? Craftsmen today wouldn't know where to begin to make something like this!

Here are a few shots of the dance compact - it's a little dinged up, but in an odd way, that makes me feel better about using it. With some of the ones in mint condition, I feel almost guilty - like, if they made it through their first hundred years unscathed, who am I to risk them?

The little sapphire at the top is lovely, but sadly the bottom tassel is missing. I'm trying to decide if I should replace it with a sapphire dangle, almost like a watch-fob, use a silk tassel, or keep an eye out for a silver one going for parts somewhere ....

compacts_and_mesh_purses_026.jpg

compacts_and_mesh_purses_028.jpg

compacts_and_mesh_purses_004.jpg

compacts_and_mesh_purses_007.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a quick shot of the hallmarks - I *think* it says E & JB Co. - but it's a little hard to make out. If anybody recognizes them, I'd love to know!

Will try to get some shots of the mesh purses if the light around here ever improves ... and I will eagerly anticipate more images of your beautiful ones. The workmanship on that frame looks absolutely mouthwatering.

compacts_and_mesh_purses_006.jpg

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
What a pretty and cool compact! I love it. It looks fine without the tassel. It will look great on a chain! I did take some pictures of my bags and will post them when I get home later tonight. I'm not on my computer now. Thanks for sharing one of yours.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Here I go. Hope these pictures load OK

img_2499.jpg

img_2503.jpg

img_2504.jpg

img_2505.jpg

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
I can only upload 4 at a time :)

img_2502.jpg

img_694.jpg

img_695.jpg

img_696.jpg

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Well I messed up a bit. The close up of the round ruby and diamond bag is in the wrong order.

img_2506.jpg

img_697.jpg

img_698.jpg

img_699.jpg

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
More pics :)

img_700.jpg

img_701.jpg

img_702.jpg

img_2523.jpg

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
last two bags !! This is my mesh collection that I was so passionate about and still am only collecting isn't what I continue to do. Now I just enjoy wearing them.
The first round small bag is circled with diamonds and rubies with a ruby cabochon clasp. It is 14k and I wear it on an antique gold watch chain.
The second is a sapphire and diamond small mesh bag that is 18k and I found an old 18k sapphire and pearl chain to hang it from.

The third is one of my favorites. It is a 9k rose gold heart with turquoise mesh. I found a heavy 9k antique rose gold watch chain to hang it from.

img_703.jpg

img_704.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A) Your entire collection makes me SO HAPPY. Seriously, I am going to spend hours coming back to this thread to admire the workmanship. Just the weaving on the little round purse! That's amazing. And the chain on the sapphire-and-pearl one ... is that original? Did they ever wear them that way back in the day? Or is it just a perfect match you found somewhere?

B) How amazingly clever to thing of mounting the finger-ring compacts on the watch-chains! That is GENIUS.

I'll be back ....

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
I'm so glad I can share this with others who love antique pieces. The chain with blue natural sapphires and pearls is antique and was found separate from the little purse. I don't think they were worn in the old days like this. I think the little bags were sometimes clasped to the inside of larger ones. Or maybe used to carry coins for church. I love thinking of ways to use them. You need to find a special sterling watch chain to hang yours on. I actually found my sterling chain on ebay a few years ago.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW!!! That's such fine craftsmanship! Truly a testament to bygone days. So beautiful.

My favorite is the tiny gold one with the gold watch chain and previous owner's name inscribed. The shape of the top part (with the clasp) is just exquisite.

What kind of diamonds are in the round one with the alternating rows of diamonds and rubies? Any chance they are french cuts? Just curious :loopy:

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
Those bags are exquisite! the workmanship is so fine and detailed :) I love antique/vintage items. I love thinking about the history of each piece.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I've always loved these mesh bags!! It's good to know there's still people that collect them! It's so hard to find!

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
these bags are so pretty ! I did not even know they existed .I think I will find myself one in ebay :Up_to_something:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOW--I love this thread! Your bags are a treat to see. Thanks for sharing!

I had one decades ago--and eventually sold it to an Estate dealer. I used for for many years--but was always conscious about leaving it on the table, etc. I also found it difficult to keep clean!

cheers--Sharon

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the looks at these bags! GemFever the diamonds in the round ruby and diamond bag are not French cut as far as I can tell. They all seem to be old mine cut. The diamonds in the other bags are OECs.I had fun looking with the loupe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results