shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to find out what kind of stone this is...

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi folks- I hope its OK that I am posting this here. This is my first time posting in the Colored Stones forum- appreciate any help you can provide.

I received this ring about 30 years ago (after a relative passed away) - I love the color and the cut (looks like an asscher cut to me).

I don't know if this is a gem stone or a fabricated stone- can anyone here tell from the picture or, is my best bet to take it to an appraiser? Honestly, if it looks like its fabricated, I'll likely still keep it and skip the appraisal as I'm not sure it would be worth the cost.

Thanks for your input here...

stone_3.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone is going to say that there is no way to tell by a picture.

A starting point for clues would be what metal it's set in. 14kt? 10kt? 18kt? Platinum? Silver?

Do you have any pictures of the ring from the side?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think I'd take it to a jeweler who has a refractometer and see what it measures as. Then you wouldn't need to get a full appraisal. My jeweler will do it for free too (dunno if that's true about all of them though).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke is correct that the first clue as to the value of the stone is the metal of the setting. Silver or 10K gold increases the chance of the stone being something synthetic. This isn't always true but tends to be so. The inside of the shank should have some sort of a hallmark to tell you its metal type. If you have a local gem club, they'll have some basic tools for testing to narrow down the possibilities. Jstarb is also correct that some jewellers have a refractometer on hand and can loupe it for tell tale inclusions.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all- I had to have my daughter look so it took some time... its Sterling, which leads me to believe its not a genuine stone. I may take it to a jeweler to take a peek as well.

What would be a good stone for me to look at if I wanted a similar genuine stone? I was thinking garnet because of the color. I would be looking for something in a raspberry reddish color.

Also, any suggestions on a vendor that could source such a stone?

I was always a diamond girl but I think I am getting hooked on colored stones :)

PinkyPie

Rough_Rock
facetgirl|1363125864|3403189 said:
I was always a diamond girl but I think I am getting hooked on colored stones :)

Have you looked into fancy colored diamonds? :naughty:

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
periwinklegirl|1363149722|3403625 said:
Here's one idea, SarahBear has a raspberry coloured garnet for sale on LoupeTroop:
(and she always buys the best!).
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/4-dot-28ct-asscher-cut-rhodolite-garnet

I have no idea if the size fits but the cut and colour matches perfectly!

Here's the list of respected vendors that many PSers have had great experiences with.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-4[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results