shape
carat
color
clarity

What unwanted creatures have you seen in your home?

What unwanted creatures have you seen in your home?

• Ants

Votes: 43 81.1%
  • Roaches

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Bedbugs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lice

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Bats

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Fleas

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Rats

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Flies

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • Moths

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Mice

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Click all that apply, even if you've only seen one.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My DH found a cool gadget we plug in by Lentek - and it works like a dream! we have one on every level and in the garage. Whatever may enter, but the high frequency sound they emit, runs them out of the house.

We also had a bit of a flurry of Wolf Spiders one summer --- OMG - those things just sit and stare at you - eyeball to eyeball - while they sit and finish THEIR smoke and a drink!! :shock: :shock: :shock: MY GAWD they are big and ugly and hairy and ..... SCARY!!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've seen a mouse or two. Is it bad that I was kinda excited about it? Since we have a cat... she can get some natural exercise :rodent:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other-- a dead flying squirrel in the unfinished part of the basement!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ants and flies and spikers not surprising.
fleas, just once, I learned my lesson and the dogs get the monthly treatment now.
lice, thank you DD2. I am very grateful no one else was infected, but what a long week that was. That kid has a LOT of hair.
mice, birds and even a baby bunny, thanks to two different outside cats. The first had use of a dog door. She brought me gifts too often. The second just left them at the door. Ick.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
when we first moved in i caught a mice.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, another one I remembered, that's been pretty bad over the last couple years -- stinkbugs :knockout: Not in our current apartment though, thank god.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
mom2boys|1363044175|3402380 said:

WHOA! That must have been a shock!

I'm just grateful we have not had a snake inside our house. We have a lot of rocks around our house and I just HATE going outside in the summer --- I make a lot of noise when I'm out and if I find a snake in the garden, it nearly ends my summer activity!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
racoons.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1363045218|3402404 said:

Indeed.
I had no idea dead squirrels could fly! :o :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
^^^^^^

Kenny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If polls here could have 12 options I'd have added the unwanted creatures ... husbands and kids. :D

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Company who doesn't know when to leave?

Seriously - a big slug in the middle of the living room floor when I got up one day this past summer - (wtf?) - uuugggh.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonomacounty|1363048059|3402457 said:
Company who doesn't know when to leave?

EEK!
I'd call a professional exterminator and get the house tented.
UGH!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Opossum under the deck.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I've gotten a lizard or two. I don't know how they get in!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Ants are our current problem and I cannot for the life of me figure out where they are coming from.

We also had a fruit fly problem a few years back. I literally caught over 40 of them on those sticky hangy things. Disgusting. I finally found the source and then they left.

I'm almost positive there is a squirrel or mouse that has made itself a home in between my old room and sisters old room at my parents house. I'll randomly hear it scrambling around at night. Somehow this creature has survived there for quite some time now...

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Okay, back up, give me room, here I go:

Giant wolf spiders (see picture!) We had them in an apartment about 22 years ago, several of them, it was new construction and they came out of the vents. Happened about six times. We moved! The picture is the only one that we've seen in our current home. Well, inside anyway. Don't go in the garage after dark!

In old houses; a small snake. It was poking out of the closet and I thought it was a cord and grabbed it. Then it moved! :shock:
Scorpion on the light switch. :???:
Various sizes and types of roaches.
Ladybugs; one year we had about 100 of them in our bathroom! WTH? :confused:

In our yard:
Alligator -only 5 foot
Walking Catfish- these are kinda cool, actually. And no, I'm not near the water, they can walk for miles. The pic is not my pic, it's from the net, I wanted to show the northerners. ;-)
Armadillo
Possum
Various snakes, including one who freakin' watches me when I garden! :( I can't kill him because he's endangered. I think he knows it, too. :rolleyes:
When it rains in the summer, there are entire tadpole colonies in our giant puddles.

But there are good things out in my yard, too!
Ibis- whole big flocks, usually in the mornings
White Herons, Blue Herons
Hawks, eagles, osprey. Various birds that scare my cat.
Pileated woodpeckers- every mating season, they bang on our metal chimney cap for several minutes to signal a mate. At daybreak. :cry: Those suckers are huge birds, with a 30 inch wingspan, almost 2 feet tall. So, yes, they can really BANG!

So, I moved here to get closer to nature, but it's starting to wear a bit thin. :bigsmile:

spider_.jpg

catfish.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I may regret stating this publicly, but the only unwanted creatures I've seen in our house are flies here and there. The house we rent was built in 1800 and it appears to be creepy crawly proof. SHHHHHHHHHH.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
ENERCHI AND ILANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE spiders but DH showed me what a wolf spider was thinking that'd be the ONE spider in the universe I'd like, and I SCREAMED just seeing a picture of it!

Ilander - I cannot even look at the picture of one you posted, like I literally have to scroll really fast past it without looking.

My sister (when I showed her the pic from DH of the wolf spider) was like "OMG, what would he expect you to say 'oh my goodness, how cute' " LMAO. I still laugh when I think about it. But hot dog how gross.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Every summer we get earwigs. Nasty nasty bugs! I never kill spiders cuz Livi eats them. I guess they taste good. Every time I try to catch one, she's there before me. I'm afraid one of these days, it's gonna be a black widow! But she won't eat earwigs. She tried one and never again. I guess they taste bitter.

And we had one mouse in the garage that kept DH company when he worked on his cars. But he died... We didn't kill him. No way am I gotta kill a poor innocent mouse! We just died of old age I guess.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
heraanderson|1363050445|3402496 said:
I've gotten a lizard or two. I don't know how they get in!

Oh, yeah. Forgot about those. We do get anoles and geckos occasionally. Also, had a tiny little frog the size of my thumb nail last year.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I think ppl should add where they live, just for some perspective. Spiders are teeny where I live (Canada) but I did come across a huntsman spider in the caravan while in Oz and I freaked!!!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our first house had mice. I screamed like a little girl the first time I saw them. We made some a nice batch of decon surprise then plugged up where they were probably getting in.

Our last home had garter snakes and the big wolf spiders. One of the snakes ended up in our living room. I was about to pick up DH's belt then it picked up its head. I figure that was my heart exam for the year as I almost died on the spot. The spiders seem so big you need ammo to get rid of them

We moved in to our current house in December. I hope we will be varmint free but time will tell.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first thought when I read the subject of this thread was "Oh! FI's ex-wife!"
She's over for an hour or more each week and has even brought us trinkets (her art creation made by her) to put in our living room.

Other than that, the periodic fly or little mini-mosquitoes (my grandparents call them no-see-ums).

I have pest control people out once every quarter to make sure we don't ever see anything too interesting!

Oh.... we did have wasps (yellow jackets?) in a nest inside the chimney/wall of the living room. I kept saying I heard an odd noise from over there, but we didn't find it until a couple got in the house. It was horrible to see a bunch in the fireplace!
I had people out the very next day. No way was I going to live with them!
They actually did some damage to the wall and caused a speaker to fall. Thankfully they were all dead by then so we didn't have a house full of them :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

Western Washington (near Seattle area)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm, the worst are the guests that won't leave or the solicitors that somehow get their foot in the door :errrr: :errrr: The worst!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to sound preachy, but I BEG... Please don't kill mice and rats with poison. Not only because it's a terrible way for them to die, but because poisoned mice and rats can poison other animals: fox, raccoons, coyote, cats, birds of prey--most notably owls. http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/rodenticides-kill-wildlife

We live in SoCal and we've got 2 huge pepper trees and a ravine running behind our backyard, so despite living in the city, we get lots of creatures in, around and under the house.

Lately the dog has been going nuts because there are raccoons, possums and/or skunks under the house. They keep breaking into the crawl space through the metal vent grates. We have replaced the grates twice in 3 years but they're strong and smart! They get in terrible, ferocious fights and they don't back down if you confront them--and at about 25-30lbs, they're probably not something you should confront...

The most terrifying things I've seen in our house are potato bugs/Jerusalem crickets. Not much phases me as far as creepy-crawlies go, but, though harmless, these things just completely freak me out. When we ripped up and landscaped our backyard it disturbed them and about 6 ended up in our house in a 1-week span. I woke up to one in the bed!!! So traumatic! They're so big that you can hear their feet click on the wood floors!! Eeeeew!!!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1363069794.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

Tuffyluvr, thank you for catching that. I didn't see that B.E.G. had said she will kill mice with poison or I would have said something also.

Please don't B.E.G., and please don't use the sticky pads where nice feet stuck and die a slow and torturous death. There are many ways to get rid of mice that are humane. Takes more time and effort but everyone is happy ;-) owls, cats, mice, us, etc.

How to catch a mouse with household objects:
http://journal.chrisglass.com/2005/09/how_to_catch_a_.html

Humane mousetrap:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YFA7HW

Look how cute they are! This works too!
http://youtu.be/JMdohJn2xME

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Oh my GOD! I'm practically on the floor in sheer horror! I'm from England and the most threatening thing we have is a sparrow. I live in Boston now and after reading this thread I will never be able to move out of our fifth-floor apartment.

Unwanted creatures? Well, definitely my mother-in-law. Apart from that, Boston does a nice line in fluffy, gross centipedes. Apart from that we've had the usual flies and ants, and a medium spider for the first time the other day.

We also had a pterodactyl. I'd been working in the home office and all day I could hear this flapping or brushing of wings. It was annoying me and I pulled out the spare bed a couple of times. Then I turned up the heat, and what should come flying out but a pterodactyl! It was GROSS! It was like a beetle with wings. I have no idea what it was but it had a helluva wingspan so I think it was a pterodactyl. :lol: Maybe I should inform the Natural History Museum.

iLander, your post made me cry with laughter. Do you find yourself looking at 10th floor apartments in the big cities?? And Enerchi - SNAKES! And the person who had a snake/belt on the floor. And the person with the endangered, entitled snake who likes gardening **** - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I am so glad I saw this topic.

And...and...the walking catfish! No way! That has to be photoshopped and the species made up. I refuse to believe such nonsense. If real, though, could they walk all the way to Boston?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1363046254|3402425 said:
Enerchi|1363045218|3402404 said:

Indeed.
I had no idea dead squirrels could fly! :o :bigsmile:

Lol!! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results