shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - Can't Use My Hands

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgive my bad typing. Two of my dogs were in a fight to the death dogfight (never happened before). It started out pretty much as what I thought was a typical spat or disagreement between the two of them and escalated so fast that I cannot even describe the events. All I know is that I didn't take it seriously at first and was using my hands to try and separate them. When it was all over, I was badly hurt on my left hand and wrist, my right thumb and hand, and on my right calf with through and through puncture wounds. My good friends and neighbors heard the whole thing and heard my cries change from annoyance to panic and were in my house before I could even call them and that's about the last thing I remember clearly. They took over, separated he dogs, got the ambulance, came with to emergency room.

So four days, a lot of pain meds and antibiotics later, I'm home and bored. I have pretty limited mobility and use of my hands. So what to do? Movies and cable tv. So recommendations for mindless cable shows? Any shows that are sooo embarrassing that you would never be caught watching them, but since there's a free pass that comes with an injury, you can recommend them to me guilt free?

Any ideas for passing the time?

As to the dogs, everyone is fine, but subdued now. The girl, Chui, is on pain meds and antibiotics (sometimes I almost confuse our meds, :lol: ) To prevent it happening again, we had to take the boy out of the house and he is living with my ex right now.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have on passing the time.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Minou, I'm glad you're OK and can stay home and recover! That sounds pretty traumatizing.

For shows... my guilty pleasure was Market Warriors :cheeky: I also recently marathon-watched 30 Rock, but I'm guessing everyone saw it already, I was late to the party (but caught up in like one week :rodent: ).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, minous, I am so sorry about all of this and so glad you are OK and that your dogs are OK. How scary!

OK on to mindless tv- any/all of the Real Housewives shows. NY, NJ, Beverly Hills (personal favorite), Orange County, Atlanta (never watched this one).

My favorite new show Girls (love love love this show!!!!!!)

The Following (a bit violent for my taste but another show my dh enjoys)

The Americans

Here are some good ones you can catch on Netflix:

Reruns of Burn Notice-very entertaining show.

Arrested Development

Battlestar Galactica (my dh watches this one)

Boardwalk Empire

Downton Abbey

How I Met Your Mother

Breaking Bad

Shameless

Archer

Parks and Recreation

I hope your healing goes smoothly and quickly and hope your doggies also heal quickly. {{{hugs}}} to you all!!!!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How awful! I broke my left ankle in January and sprained the other one badly so was in a similar situation. I think it's Tuesday nights that Animal Planet has the Cute a thon with lots of puppy shows in a row. It was a nice departure from all the murder and mayhem that seems to be most of TV these days. I wanted fun and happy and light. The puppies fit the bill.

Edited to fix typos.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Oh, Minou, my goodness! I'm so sorry about everything that happened. I'm glad, though, that you and the pup are on the mend.

I happen to be the queen of mindless tv right now, so I can certainly make a few suggestions! I dig anything with "wars" in the title...Shipping Wars, Storage Wars, Property Wars, etc. Duck Dynasty seems to be on quite a lot now, it's good for a laugh. I also like American Pickers and Pawn Stars (but I HATE Hardcore Pawn), so there's a few more suggestions. Also, Welcome to Myrtle Manor is trashy tv at its finest. Yukon Men, Gold Rush, Top Gear...seems as though I could go on and on.

Hope you find something to take your mind off of the pain. Heal quickly!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, so sorry for you.
Hugs.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh Minous! I was wondering where you were - CS isn't the same without you. So sorry!

I'm currently loving House of Cards on Netflicks. Not trashy - kind of West Wing crossed with The Wire.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry this happened! I hope you're ok and the dogs are ok! I'm always afraid of the girls fights escalating!

As for shows! I watched Merlin (guilty pleasure) and enjoyed it very much! I'll keep adding as I remember!

And if you wanna read a book, The Book of Lost Things is the most amazing book I have ever read.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good heavens!! That must have been scary! I'm glad you are ok now, but holy cow-- your neighbors heard your cries for help! Thank god they were there!!

Heal quickly my friend :wavey:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this, Minou. I'm sorry for the physical pain you and your little dog are in, but I'm especially sorry for the shock the fight must have been to you. I hope you both heal quickly, physically and emotionally. Thank goodness for your neighbors,

My go-to for mindless entertainment is HGTV. I highly recommend!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Is it bad that I'm curious to see how your hands look?

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh, that must have been so frightening! I am glad you are ok and recovering. :)

Watch Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Downton Abbey and Girls. Or good old re-runs of Friends. Also, The Tudors (Jonathan Rhys Meyers, yummy!)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1363032542|3402181 said:
Oh Minous! I was wondering where you were - CS isn't the same without you. So sorry!

I'm currently loving House of Cards on Netflicks. Not trashy - kind of West Wing crossed with The Wire.

Ditto House of Cards-it's fantastic! Another show I'm liking that's sort of trashy and super fun to watch is Scandal. SO GOOD.

What an awful experience-I hope you mend quickly and figure things out with the pups.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Yes! Whenever I'm down! I just plop in any, yes! any! disc of Friends and my mood is lightened!

D

Deactivated member 42515

I keep thinking about it, and it was rude of me to say I was curious! I just hope you have a quick recovery!

Us korean say "fighting!"

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs minous. What a terrible thing to happen. I'm happy that you are on the mend.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Minou, you poor baby! How awful for you and dogs -- that stuff rocks you to the core. I can imagine how painful it is too -- DH was badly bitten on the hand breaking up a fight between our dog & another who attacked him, but he wasn't in as ragged shape as you are. Glad you had somewhere reliable to put one of them. It's weird how things can be perfectly peaceful for years & then suddenly Armageddon breaks out.

My guilty pleasures are sort-of sci fi -- Supernatural is one of my favorite programs. You have to get into it at first but once you are onto the humor & fun, you're hooked. Repeats are on often during the day. Also like Ghost Hunters, still fun after all these years.

Baby yourself, ok? Dust for quick recovery.

--- Laurie

D

Deactivated member 42515

Firefly is good too!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That frankly sounds like a nightmare with the two dogs! Wow! So glad that you are all OK (or at least on the mend!)

Do you have any books on tape that you could listen to? Could your friends or neighbors go to a lending library for you? (assuming you have a player)

I love my Kindle and can prop it up on the table and minimally use my finger to turn the page.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, shocked at all the responses. Humbly grateful here. Thank you all for your hugs and concern. Sigh. It seems that some of us never learn... :roll:

Unfortunately, its not the first time I've been badly bitten by them (third time I've broken up a fight, but this time was the last as the sweet pitbull puppy had to go away; he was the last one into to our "pack." The second in command girl, Chui, decided to hate on him. She is almost 9 years old and constantly had words with him - I didn't realize how serious she was until this time. What a b--ch, but she happens to the one who was here first, so though I love him to pieces, he had to go...)

I'm sooo excited to go and explore more boring tv :roll: , but hopefully, I can find something that keeps me going. I've also decided that I won't have to type too much (less than I have here, lol) to buy things online, so I think I'll go buy things and blame it on the pain meds. :cheeky: I mean, none of you would blame me would you?! :naughty: :cheeky:

Now gory stuff to follow for YT, so please stop reading here - unless you don't mind details or you are YT.

YT: I don't mind your questions at all. They're bandaged and it hurts to take the bandages off, so you'll have to imagine. First off, they really don't like to stitch up puncture wounds because they know there is bacteria that has already been introduced so they just cover them and put you on pain meds and antibiotics. I wouldn't take a picture of the thumb because its just too gross. Imagine if you took a hammer and smashed the end of your thumb - or split a big piece off and then sewed it back on. Its um, pretty gunked up, swollen and raw looking. Let's just say that my son who changed my bandages had no idea there were stitches there (they had to make an exception to their no stitch rule because of the extensive damage)... :o The hand and the leg look like they have multiple small wounds - each one is no more than an inch long and most are much less than that - but they're really deep because they're fang punctures. So while the wounds look like dark scabbed wounds, both my leg and my arm are purple and each about half again as big as their normal size. I would be tempted to take a pic of my leg for you, YT, but it just wouldn't feel right to post it here (I personally, would not EVER want to stumble upon it here, so I have to think the same for others).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1363032209|3402175 said:
How awful! I broke my left ankle in January and sprained the other one badly so was in a similar situation. I think it's Tuesday nights that Animal Planet has the Cute a thon with lots of puppy shows in a row. It was a nice departure from all the murder and mayhem that seems to be most of TV these days. I wanted fun and happy and light. The puppies fit the bill.

Edited to fix typos.

Ooh! Cute athons sound right up my alley - just not one that shows the lion hunting their prey on the Savannah! ;))

On my favorite threads is our furry friends thread.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Awwwww minousbijoux!! Sounds sooo painful! I forgot to think that you would have to take your bandages off to take pics! Don't do that! Avoid as much pain as possible!

I'm so sorry!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okie_girl|1363032263|3402176 said:
Oh, Minou, my goodness! I'm so sorry about everything that happened. I'm glad, though, that you and the pup are on the mend.

I happen to be the queen of mindless tv right now, so I can certainly make a few suggestions! I dig anything with "wars" in the title...Shipping Wars, Storage Wars, Property Wars, etc. Duck Dynasty seems to be on quite a lot now, it's good for a laugh. I also like American Pickers and Pawn Stars (but I HATE Hardcore Pawn), so there's a few more suggestions. Also, Welcome to Myrtle Manor is trashy tv at its finest. Yukon Men, Gold Rush, Top Gear...seems as though I could go on and on.

Hope you find something to take your mind off of the pain. Heal quickly!

Okie girl, thanks so much - I think I might be able to catch some of these right now - I love that, so you don't even have to differentiate day from night, they have them on constantly! I'll go plug "wars" into the search function and see. Also, I am really curious about "Duck Dynasty" since so many here have recommended it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1363032542|3402181 said:

Thanks so much Rose. Is that the one that has that actor I like so much? You know the one I'm talking about...(hee hee I have painkiller brain). The guy in Hotel Rwanda?

Maccers, I'll check out the link for sure. I think it might use some brain capacity, so I might wait until I'm less punch if you know what I mean. But thank you so much. :praise:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YOUCH - Minous that thumb/hand sounds terrible!! Keep taking the antibiotics, even after you stop feeling the blood pulse in the tip of your fingers! And the pain meds --- they are there for a purpose - take them (and hide your credit card.. just sayin'!! ;)) )

Hang in there - its so sad that you had to relinquish one of your pups but perhaps it just is for the best. It wasn't a good mix, obviously, so both will do better in separate places. I'm sorry tho - it is hard to let a pet go. HUGS to you and speedy recovery too!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT You are so sweet! Anyway, yes, I could read too and the title of your book really intrigues me. I love to read, so apart from holding the book, which will be a challenge, it sounds like a great idea. :wavey:

D

Deactivated member 42515

minousbijoux said:
YT You are so sweet! Anyway, yes, I could read too and the title of your book really intrigues me. I love to read, so apart from holding the book, which will be a challenge, it sounds like a great idea. :wavey:
Argh!!! Where's a servant when you need one! You shouldn't have let your last one go.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too funny - you know what's on right now? Lion Battle Zone: "competing prides of lions stalk their buffalo prey across an unimaginably dry vista..." Just what I want to watch :roll: :roll:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Minousbijoux, I'm glad you're okay!

Here are some shows I watch:

The Americans (We just started watching this and it's pretty good.)
House of Cards (This is a Netflix original series. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are in it. It's based on a BBC show with the same name.)
Scandal
Smash
The West Wing reruns
Parenthood (This season's over but if you haven't seen it, you can find it on Hulu and/or Netflix.)
The Cosby Show, I Love Lucy, and Friends reruns (I only watch these when I'm sick for some reason.)
Girls (HBO)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Anything on HGTV

I don't watch the Real Housewives shows but I've caught a few episodes here and there. Definitely mindless TV and it could be right up your alley if that's what you're looking for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results