shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixed feelings about new pear setting...opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had my 1.5 ct D VS2 pear changed out from a simple solitaire setting to a new microsetting. I''m trying to love it, but I just feel like it''s too....costumey and huge. I feel like the melee around the pear is so big that it upstages the stone, which is my first love. I expected it to be much smaller and daintier. This ring is heavy!

I''m debating calling the jeweler to have a talk with them. Here are the pics...opinions welcome.

Picture2xya.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
another

Picture4xya.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
another

Picture1xya.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
another

Picture5xyaz.jpg

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
It''s beautiful, but I do see what you are saying. The halo is rather wide in relation to the stone. I think it would look AMAZING if the halo was a bit daintier.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exaclty my sentiments. I feel the bezel is much too wide.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
It is a beautiful ring, but i can see if you were expecting daintier, that it would seem a bit ''big''. It does draw the eye away from that beautiful pear of yours abit, and if you really want your center to pop, smaller halo might be the way to go. But, all in all, it is a beautiful ring...

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hi, FireGoddess.

I am so happy to see you post this question. First, let me say that your new ring looks beautiful.
30.gif
I love the shape of your pear. I have a 2 ct pear that I''m debating on setting in a split-shank micro setting. I also can''t decide whether to use diamonds around the main pear or to leave them off and have some sort of basket setting. I love the way yours looks, but I don''t know whether it would be too cocktail-ring looking for everyday when I''m usually in jeans. I keep teetering back and forth, which is the reason I''ve DONE NOTHING (plus I''m also considering trading the pear in for a round, but that''s another dilemma
40.gif
).

Maryalaina recently posted her pear microsetting which I adore. It looks incredible, as does yours. Are the stones in the shank the same size as the ones used around the pear? How would it look if the stones around the pear were smaller, say 1 pointers, and the stones on the shank slightly larger, say 2 pointers?

Either way, your ring is so pretty, but I also totally understand your concern. Ugh, I wish I could be of some help.
7.gif

DiamondLil

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! THE MUCH THINNER HALO WOULD LOOK JUST LIKE ALL THE GAZILLIONS OF MICRO-PAVE OUT THERE. THIS LOOKS SUBSTANTIAL AND ANTIQUE. THE DETAIL IS WONDERFUL. I TOTALLY DISAGREE..........IN A MONTH YOU WILL LOVE IT I BET ONCE YOU ARE USED TO THE SIZE CHANGE!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
That would be a beautiful RHR but, as an engagement ring, I have to say that I agree with the others. I know that style of setting is very popular right now but my personal opinion is that I like for the center stone to be prong set and stand alone on the diamond band without being surrounded by anything. I think it detracts from your beautiful pear. Don''t get me wrong-- it''s a flat out gorgeous ring, but a little too much going on for every day wear as an engagement ring.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I think it is lovely! But, certainly, it is a signficant departure from your "simple solitare" of before--both in terms of weight and design. Sorry I am no help, but what I really wanted to say is that it is a delightful ring.

cheers--Sharon

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 5:44:18 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I think it is lovely! But, certainly, it is a signficant departure from your ''simple solitare'' of before--both in terms of weight and design. Sorry I am no help, but what I really wanted to say is that it is a delightful ring.

cheers--Sharon
Sharon brings up a good point- even if it was daintier, it''s still a sea change from your solitaire...you may have had the same reaction. Wear it for a few days and see if you get used to its heft. When I went from a small solitaire to a big substantial ring it felt like I had a cinder block strapped to my finger. Now I don''t even notice the weight.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 5:31
6.gif
6 PM
Author: diamondlil
Hi, FireGoddess

I love the way yours looks, but I don''t know whether it would be too cocktail-ring looking for everyday when I''m usually in jeans.

Maryalaina recently posted her pear microsetting which I adore. It looks incredible, as does yours. Are the stones in the shank the same size as the ones used around the pear? How would it look if the stones around the pear were smaller, say 1 pointers, and the stones on the shank slightly larger, say 2 pointers?
Diamondlil, I think you hit one BIG nail on the head...the scale of the ring is so big, it really looks like a cocktail ring, not my engagement ring. That would be fine if I actually WENT to cocktail parties
2.gif
, but most of the time I too am in jeans, and this ring does not fit in at all. I keep saying that the scale of the ring is just too much. I was thinking something HALF as much. This look does make the ring look more antique, and it really is a very beautiful ring. But it is a beautiful ring I don''t feel right wearing. I wanted to change the solitaire setting to do the stone more justice, and to make it more streamlined (the prongs scratch anything in their path, including humans!) so I would feel more comfortable wearing it. Now I feel like the stone is not the focal point and I feel even MORE uncomfortable wearing it.

Ironically, and I do not know why they did this, the stones in the halo are BIGGER than the stones on the shanks of the ring. I think I''d rather the melee in the halo be much smaller. In the profile of the ring you can also see that the base of the head is solid platinum. While substantial, I feel it doesn''t allow any light onto the diamond from the sides of the ring. This is not what I wanted.

I feel a little depressed.
7.gif
I called the jeweler, who was busy with a client. I''m waiting for a call back.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
You''ve gotten the best advice already--give a day or two to try to see if it''s the thickness of the setting or just the new look altogether.

it is a gorgeous ring--there is no doubt about that!
30.gif
But you have to love it--an ering is a very important, highly personal signature piece and you want to be truly happy with it. After a day or two, see how you feel then take action, if needed.
1.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
8.gif
Oh- it sucks to anticipate something, and be disappointed. I''m so sorry.

I didn''t even notice the gallery- it definitely should be more open and delicate, it looks kind of severe and Germanic, all of that metal.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry you''re disappointed.
I think it''s lovely.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock

When I first posted my response, I was so afraid I''d be the only one thinking it looked more cocktail-ring looking. I''m glad I''m not totally nuts. I''m the first person to want serious bling. Most of my rings are so chunky, none of my friends could wear them. But I definitely want the ring on my fourth finger of my left hand to look like an engagement ring.

1.gif

As far as the underside, I also see what you mean about it being too solid. Attached is the microsetting I referenced before. You can see from the side the nice open detail underneath. Platinum weighs so much more than white gold, I can see how your ring might spin a lot. I also agree that the melee around the pear should be either the same size or smaller than the shank. I wonder why the jeweler switched it around?

DiamondLil

masplitshankpave.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh FireGoddess- I''m so sorry you''re torn over this.

DIAMONDS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FUN.
9.gif
9.gif

Hang in there Goddess- give it a couple of days.

I think it''s stunning.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, think on it a couple of days and see what the jeweler has to say when he calls back. What does your DH think about it?

You know, if you put a sapphire in there.......Whoa baby!!
30.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This IS supposed to be fun! And yet I feel so glum.
15.gif
I could tell DH was kinda upset when he saw the ring because it's so big, my w-ring does not fit on the same finger. He told me he thought it looked great and that it was absolutely HUGE (and laughed)....but I could tell he wasn't a fan. He just led me to believe he was so that I would be happy. Very sweet....but I can see right through him.
1.gif

Still waiting to talk to jeweler...hasn't called me back yet.

ps. I agree about the sapphire!!!....
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
So sorry Firegodess. Talk to your jeweler and tell him just how you feel. The ring is stunning, but I see what your saying about the size of the micro pave. Good luck!!
35.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2005 5:37:33 PM
Author: pearcrazy
That would be a beautiful RHR but, as an engagement ring, I have to say that I agree with the others. I know that style of setting is very popular right now but my personal opinion is that I like for the center stone to be prong set and stand alone on the diamond band without being surrounded by anything. I think it detracts from your beautiful pear. Don''t get me wrong-- it''s a flat out gorgeous ring, but a little too much going on for every day wear as an engagement ring.
FireGoddess, let me first say that it is a beautiful ring and your pear looks lovely in the new setting.

However, my personal opinion is more in line with pearcrazy''s taste. I like the melee on the band, but perfer that the
center stone stand on its own in an e-ring.

I would say, sit on it for a week and then see how you feel. You might decide to just reduce the size of the melee around the halo so that the center stone stands out more.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Firegoddess,

HUGS! I am so sorry that you are disappointed with you ring. I am thinking of getting a halo set diamond as an engagment ring, but I am a bit worried about the size of the bezel around the stone. You ring is beautiful, and so is the stone, but I agree with you that it is quite a substantial ring. If you are a dainty, and elegent person, then the new setting might not fit your tastes. I think you should definitely call the jeweler, see if something can be done with the halo. Did you tell him when he made the ring that you wanted the halo to be as thin as possible? Or is your ring the minimum sized bezel? I personally think that if you immediate reaction was not "WOW" then it''s hard to grow on you, you may never be 100% happy with it and with an e ring, which you wear every, single day its important that you LOVE it. Good luck!

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful...but I think smaller melee would look better too.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2005 8:29:33 PM
Author: pearcrazy
Were you thinking of something more like this http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=E16 except with a pear instead of marquise? I like the way it is raised to allow a wedding band to fit flush with the band.
HI:

I was thinking of posting the same kind of style pearcrazy--but you beat me to the punch.
1.gif
Also very pretty--but less "hardware"......................

cheers--Sharon

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m so sorry FireGoddess. I think your ring is very beautiful but I too agree with many others about the halo taking something away from the center stone? I say give it a few days but if your not happy you should change it again. Did you here from your jeweler?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you are not thrilled with it.

I think it''s BEAUTIFUL! I really like how "substantial" it is, but you have to be the one who loves it.

sluke

Shiny_Rock
It is a stunning, beautiful ring! I love it! However, I see what many say about it being cocktail like. If you are having second thought...I don''t think you''ll ever be 110% happy. See what your jewelry says and decide from there.

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
I agree with those who suggested to wait and see. You know after the ''shrinkage factor'' sets in you may feel differantly. It''s a lovely ring. I hated my ering at first. It was big and gaudy. Now I love it. Give it some time then decide what you want to do. You must be happy with it no matter what. Do what you feel is right for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results