shape
carat
color
clarity

Dark Skin, Warm Diamond?

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance ordered a J color ideal round in 1.02 ct, I'm a little nervous to see it. I am a black of Colombian/Cuban heritage, & I am dark-skinned. So I am a little anxious, I've heard that it's a little tinted...I'm grateful to him but it seems like everything about the J color is bad...I'm afraid to want a bright white color or something? No lo se....

Any other dark-skinned chicas care to share?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I might be a little lighter than you, but I have an I and it looks really white on me. GIA J probably won't look very tinted on you.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I think darker skin will make a diamond look even more white. Jewelry stores are always nesting their loose diamonds on black velvet and the inside of ring boxes are almost always black. I think you do not have to worry about a J color diamond lookin more tinted on you versus on someone with light skin.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually think your darker (and damn amazing) sounding skin tone is going to make that look whiter and brighter than my pasty gross whiteness. Do not fear. Wait til it arrives and try to not judge it based on its grade.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are girls here with j color on darker skin and they actually chose it because it worked well with their skin tone. I think it will be fine!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Here's a thread of J and lower diamonds https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-j-and-lower-colored-diamonds.73446/

As long as your diamond is well cut, it will look bright white.
You must show us handshots when you get it ! I'm sure it will look beautiful with your complexion.

Will your setting be white, yellow, or rose gold? Most ladies are more concerned with the color of the metal clashing with their skin than how the diamond will look.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
my skin is light tan color .I actually love J/K color in diamonds . they look white on me . while the super higher colors look harsh . the important thing is they should be Ideal/excellent cut.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Unless you're **extremely** color-sensitive, I think it will look very white to you. The tint in a J colored stone is nearly imperceptible to most people's eye. And I don't think skin color really affects how white or tinted a stone appears. If anything, I would think that the contrast between a near-colorless stone and dark skin would make the stone really pop and look even whiter. I'm sure it will be gorgeous! Please post photos when you receive it!

it's a little counter intuitive. lower color graded diamonds will look better on darker skin tones than on fairer skin tones. don't worry!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will look white. I have a J emerald cut diamond and it faces up white most of the time. I occasionally see a tint in it but I don't mind it at all.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet it looks great on you!!!!!!!!!!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have darker skin - like a dark tan - and I have a J that I adore ::) I'm colour-sensitive in that I can definitely see the differences in colours, but I (honestly) don't have a preference for one range over another - it all depends on the project and the overall look I'm going for. Noone would ever look at a reputably graded (GIA/AGSL) J and think it's anything but "white diamond", so if that's your concern there's absolutely no need to be!
I do notice that in side-by-side comparisons the higher colours of the same size look bigger, but that's to be expected - they're brighter and our eyes are known to interpret 'brighter' as 'bigger'/'more prominent'...

ETA Center and first pair of sides are Js:
YssieDBL-11.png

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
I say fear not and just wait until you get it. Color is very subjective and you may or may not see it. Plus there's a huge preference for color or lack thereof, so just be excited...not worried! :bigsmile:

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don't think you should be too worried. In general, J stones are a great value because they usually look very white, without the price premium. Have you looked at many different diamonds in real life of varying colors? You may be surprised to learn just how white a J can be.

Here are 9 pages of photos of J color diamonds. You may find this helpful.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ksmom has one of my favorite sets on PS, and I have told her more than once how I envy her beautiful skin tone because I think her rings look better on her than they would on my light skin. Her diamond is an antique that is uncertified, but it is lower than J color.

_4362.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

I concur with everyone! Your skin tone, j color diamond, it's gonna look amazing! Put it in a rose gold setting and wowwwwza, it's gonna POP!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's going to look great with your skin tone - I got a spray tan the other day and my hands got very tan and my EGL J OEC looked awesome and really white - even my husband noticed! I'm going to keep getting them just because my ring looks so darn good lol!

D

Deactivated member 42515

I have a GIA L and I have Asian skin tone and I think it looks awesome! But I'm not color sensitive an LOVE warm diamonds. Most of the time, it's just this nice ivory color. NEVER yellow

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Is it true that fluorescence gives diamond brighter whiter appearance?
What if there's no fluorescence will the diamond look dull?

SMC

Ideal_Rock
caribbeanbridetobe|1363111467|3402955 said:
Is it true that fluorescence gives diamond brighter whiter appearance?
What if there's no fluorescence will the diamond look dull?

Blue fluorescence makes diamonds look whiter in the presence of UV light (sunlight or black lights). Indoor lighting lacks the UV component so it won't change the appearance of your diamond. Fluoro is sometimes seen as a desirable characteristic in lower color diamonds but can make some higher color diamonds look milky/oily in direct sunlight (quite rare though).

No fluorescence will not make a diamond look dull. If so, non-fluorescent diamonds would not command a premium over diamonds with fluorescence.

There are lots of other threads and web pages that explain and illustrate fluorescence. If you want to learn more, try googling it. You can start here: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have brown skin, and I prefer diamonds that are higher than H actually on my skin tone. I had a G, then an H and a J and I loved the J the best out of all of them. Too white looks 'glaring' on my skin tone. You might really like it.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone, the ring is ready but we have a few more weeks to go & pick it up.
Would it be rude to ask our jeweler about the fluorescence? Or to just wait it out & see what it looks like!
I'm so anxious!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would seriously wait and see it. Don't get yourself worked up and judging it til you see it on your skintone. I don't think the fluor is going to negatively impact the stone, but only you can judge that. Nothing the jeweler says is really going to do any good til you see it with your own eyes.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
caribbeanbridetobe|1363202413|3404076 said:
Hi everyone, the ring is ready but we have a few more weeks to go & pick it up.
Would it be rude to ask our jeweler about the fluorescence? Or to just wait it out & see what it looks like!
I'm so anxious!

You have a J color diamond right? I doubt that fluoro will affect your diamond negatively. Lot of people with lower color stones purposely seek out stones with fluoro!

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies, I finally got my e-ring! But in my excitement & business, forgot to post it!
It is a 1.02ct, brilliant round J Si2 in a cushion cut halo & I absolutely love it!

image_608.jpg image_607.jpg image_606.jpg

We are having a destination wedding in Punta Cana next August & I can't wait!
Tell me & be honest: does the warm diamond look good against my dark skin?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whether a certain skin color looks good with a certain diamond color is not handed down by gods from the clouds.
You are free to like or dislike any diamond color on any color of skin.

It's all opinion and personal preference.
You don't even need a single other person on the planet to agree with your taste.

delight

Shiny_Rock
That's a rather unique halo setting that props the diamond upwards. The warmth is pretty obvious given the white background it is set based on your 1st and second photos. Doesn't help that the setting makes color stands out and I think the diamond is too warm for my tastes. That's a GIA graded diamond?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what people think but yourself.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
My husband bought the ring in Bogotá, Colombia (his hometown) it is egl USA rated. This is such a snooty site, thank you for the rude comments Kenny & other poster above me. We should all be so lucky to own a diamond.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is lovely. I hope you like the color of the stone because I think its looks beautiful on your finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results