shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dislike the ugly gap between the opal and the oval diamonds - the piece just doesn't flow.

I went on an opal spree a few weeks ago and I am resisting the impulse to buy more. They are all so pretty and so unique... but first, I need to set a luscious oval in rose gold.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1362420315|3396019 said:
I dislike the ugly gap between the opal and the oval diamonds - the piece just doesn't flow.

I went on an opal spree a few weeks ago and I am resisting the impulse to buy more. They are all so pretty and so unique... but first, I need to set a luscious oval in rose gold.

Yes, yes, indeed you do :bigsmile: :naughty:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid said:
The diamonds are awkward and unnecessary, like a big taffeta bow on the backside of a dress.

:lol: Nice opal but agree, somebody should do it a favor & re-set it.

--- Laurie

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
David at DBL has started posting a lot of 19 crazy colored antique cut diamonds. someone please buy them all so i dont mess up my budget...

dbl_antique.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Shushinator, can you post a link to that picture online?

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1362494709|3396774 said:
Shushinator, can you post a link to that picture online?

i found it in his forum, not sure i can post a link to another forum? if you go http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ and click the diamond forum at the bottom menu, you will see the post in the new diamonds section. he shows some of the rough he picked up too which is just awesome.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Since my last attempt was such a miss, I thought I'd try again. :)

Luscious & glowing, finest, intense "Padparadscha" color, untreated Burmese Mogok spinel. A real beauty!
$1100
See it in person to believe it! The finest, intense padparadscha color, this Burmese spinel weights 1.67 ct., intense, "salmon-sunset", pink-orange color (perfect blend of the two colors!), excellent, round, mixed cut, measuring 7mm in diameter by 4.72mm deep, eye flawless, VS type1 from the famed Mogok tract, Upper Burma. One of the finest and rarest color available in any particular gemstone (this is an excerpt taken from the ICA web site: " Of particular interest is a vivid hot pink with a tinge of orange mined in Burma. It is one of the most spectacular gemstone colours seen in any species at all.", this gem is an absolutely beauty and a rare treasure that is very difficult to come by. Offered here at a very, very low price for this finest color!

http://simplygemstones.com/padpapage.htm

_4285.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1362366289|3395596 said:
How about this one?

"Amazing highly saturated color. Mahenge spinels are known for their exceptionally vibrant color. The slightly silky luster adds both intensity and power to the color and the stone looks similar to a top Burmese ruby. Some minor windowing is evident but not distractive in at all. At 3.01cts. with a large face up size the stone could pass for a 4ct.+ stone in a setting."

Color Description : Medium Light Slightly Purplish Red [Pink]
Clarity : Slightly included
Image Light Source : Incandescent Light
Shape : Oval
Cut : Step Cut
Length (MM) : 10.00
Width (MM) : 7.80
Depth (MM) : 5.00
Weight (CTS) : 3.010
Enhancement : (N) None
Origin : Mahenge, Tanzania

$1,200
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/spinel/sn10718aa/&930512007

Although embarrassing to admit, I bought this one. I wanted to see it in person so I could get a sense of how to better read their descriptions. And on the slightest chance that it was how they described as opposed to the picture, it would have been my holy grail stone at a price I could afford.

It's a pretty pink spinel but nothing special and definitely going back. It looks better inside but gets washed out in the sun - these pictures are the washed out look.

_4288.jpg

_4290.jpg

_4291.jpg

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The multicolor does not look like a keeper to me.

I personally like the Jasna gem's stone. Could be a Mahenge killer. I wonder if some of the color is uneven, but it looks promising. So I guess this is another web outlet for Jasna gems/Planetary gems?

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Star Ruby's stuff looks so cartoonishly photoshopped to me that I have no clue what to make of their stones...

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
corundum_conundrum|1362621157|3398540 said:
Star Ruby's stuff looks so cartoonishly photoshopped to me that I have no clue what to make of their stones...

Haha! After I posted I looked at the image on the accompanying report and snorted (though it looks cartoonishly faded, as it were). The handshot looks ok though, no?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
When the facets look so white like that, is it because the brightness has been increased on Photoshop to lighten the color of the gem? I've used PS, but to create graphics and fix photos, not to doctor stones.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1362623068|3398576 said:
When the facets look so white like that, is it because the brightness has been increased on Photoshop to lighten the color of the gem? I've used PS, but to create graphics and fix photos, not to doctor stones.

It's not necessarily an indication of Photoshop -- it's just as (or maybe more) likely that the stone is under a flood of light when it's photographed. Maybe someone more skilled can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the light will reflect the strongest on the edges (of any surface) that it hits first.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
corundum_conundrum|1362621157|3398540 said:

I've bought a diamond from starruby. It looked just like their flooded with light pictures. It may seem like a gamble but they are pretty darn close to real life.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1362612243|3398391 said:
Luscious & glowing, finest, intense "Padparadscha" color, untreated Burmese Mogok spinel. A real beauty! $1100
See it in person to believe it! The finest, intense padparadscha color, this Burmese spinel weights 1.67 ct., intense, "salmon-sunset", pink-orange color (perfect blend of the two colors!), excellent, round, mixed cut, measuring 7mm in diameter by 4.72mm deep, eye flawless, VS type1 from the famed Mogok tract, Upper Burma. One of the finest and rarest color available in any particular gemstone (this is an excerpt taken from the ICA web site: " Of particular interest is a vivid hot pink with a tinge of orange mined in Burma. It is one of the most spectacular gemstone colours seen in any species at all.", this gem is an absolutely beauty and a rare treasure that is very difficult to come by. Offered here at a very, very low price for this finest color!
http://simplygemstones.com/padpapage.htm

Rosebloom,
The excerpt from the ICA describes what I see (a hot pink stone with a touch of pink). This is far from a padparadscha colour which should have a much stronger orange component. Am I the only one who feel it is sort of misleading to advertise this as "padparadscha" coloured spinel? For a while there, I thought it was an unheated padparadscha sapphire until I slowed down my reading. This is not a prized colour for a spinel but is made to sound like it.

No embarrassment in posting the MC spinel. We all get a chance to do a picture vs description comparison as well. I am sorry it looks washed out outdoors but you are correct to return it.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re: Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!
by davi_el_mejor » 07 Mar 2013 08:19
corundum_conundrum|1362621157|3398540 wrote:

I've bought a diamond from starruby. It looked just like their flooded with light pictures. It may seem like a gamble but they are pretty darn close to real life.

That's good to know davi, thanks!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anybody looking for some decent quality, pretty stones? :naughty: Fortekitty is finally selling a bunch. Some spessartites and some tsavorites. She is a long time collector and I believe have bought some of these stones a while ago, at what today would be considered low prices and appears to be passing them along! The tsav cushion caught my eye. The "bad:" dimensions are 5.88x8.32x3.33, so its shallow, it does not appear to have a blue modifier, and it is not precision cut. The "good:" eye clean or close to it, good color and shape, and the price: $100 bucks! Amazing for any tsavorite these days, but a great price for this one! I would also check out all her other stones and settings as well, if the price on this one is any indication.

3-12-13_fk_stones_preview.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The trillion tsavorite looks well cut and well saturated, no blue but still very pretty.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice one, though I'd like to see more pics because the background color looks off. But I wouldn't turn it away. :bigsmile:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1362665959|3398959 said:

Davi, can you start a separate thread about it? I'm curious to learn about your experience.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Sure thing! I'll take some pictures soon :D

SB621

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1363483854|3406787 said:
If I had a big budget and went for ovals, I'd be all over this: http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9483
Also listed on Dana's site: http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6911

Does Litnon still offer a PS discount? Looks very promising and if as pictured, a good price for an unheated 3 carat stone. Litnon usually provides hand shots and I would definitely request that since the background looks very blue in their pictures.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anybody want a collector stone? Jeff Davies has the best color change garnet I've ever seen. If you don't mind dark stones, this one looks to have a highly saturated blue colorway and a well saturated purplish red. Its not cheap, but stones with this amount of color change with such strong colors in either direction are rare. Period. End of Story. Please ask questions before buying - tone, percent color change, the usual. He has a video, but I can't remember whether we're allowed to link to videos, so here are the stills.

1.54 ct, 7.30 x 5.88 x 4.84 mm, Madagascar, and well cut $1,475. Jeff says its about 100% color change. EYE CLEAN, people! The reason it does not look all red in the photo is because he is shining a light on it and it only changes where the light is hitting it.

3-27-13_cc_garnet_1_preview.jpg

3-27-13_cc_garnet_2_preview.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results