shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion asscher combo

focusr3

Rough_Rock
OK so i found what i find a very unique stone. The phote is not the actual stone the specs. are 1.05ct. G VS2 price 4,695.00. I really like the look like I said unique. Before i pull the trigger, I have some questions. Is it priced right? With all the fancy tools how do you think this cut would perform. I really need some help I look on here and it is so hard to figure out what to look for in a cushion. Every says see it in person and i have I like it but don't want to get taken for a ride on the price.

cushion_asscher_-_img.jpg

pavejewelers

Rough_Rock
Trade
This is a really interesting make. I've never seen one of these before. I would go with others' recommendations and see the stone. Asschers are step cut, and cushions are intended to be faceted. Blending the two has to be a something that is specific to your taste, hence the reason why do not see it often. Pricewise, it's really hard to say. I suggest finding out the price per carat of a 1.00 carat G/VS2 cushion modified brilliant and a 1.00 carat G/VS2 asscher and making sure you are within range.

Good luck!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That is very unique!! I have no clue what to say on pricing, but I actually like it. Hopefully the gemologists will chime in...

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very interesting! It's almost like a crisscut asscher "lite"!

You can see it here as there aren't many great hi-res images of them I could find: http://www.christopherdesigns.com/

Unfortunately as far as pricing goes, I'm not sure what I would expect to be appropriate. Hopefully an expert can fill you in on that.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price is about right.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Why didn't you post the actual photo?

The price might be right if the stone is beautiful, but without actually seeing it, we can't really help you determine if it's actually worth buying. Fancy cuts really require a photo to be judged accurately.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
it's gorgeous. absolutely. stunning. I even love how the windmills are like little points. It's unique and special.

focusr3

Rough_Rock
Re: Cushion/asscher combo \PULLING THE TRIGGER/

It's from a local jewler and I didn't have the ability to take a picture of the stone. I have seen it in person i spent about an hour with it and really like the way it looks it is stunning. But i like the different look i'm sure not everyone does. Another question is it a must to see it under an ASET. I have it on hold but only till Monday. What are the steps now, what process do you "pro's" do.
1. look at eye clean ?
2. under a loupe ?
3. look at the report ?
4. ASET ?
5. Compare price of other stones the same quality?

Am i missing any steps?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Cushion/asscher combo \PULLING THE TRIGGER/

focusr3|1362487242|3396700 said:
It's from a local jewler and I didn't have the ability to take a picture of the stone. I have seen it in person i spent about an hour with it and really like the way it looks it is stunning. But i like the different look i'm sure not everyone does. Another question is it a must to see it under an ASET. I have it on hold but only till Monday. What are the steps now, what process do you "pro's" do.
1. look at eye clean ?
2. under a loupe ?
3. look at the report ?
4. ASET ?
5. Compare price of other stones the same quality?

Am i missing any steps?
That and most important:
Look at it under as many lighting conditions as possible
from up close to arm length.

focusr3

Rough_Rock
As far as different lighting conditions I'm sure for obvious reasons jewlers don't like/allow people to take stones outside. Can you explain the different lighting conditions i could achieve in the store. I can only think jewler lights and then dark by covering the stone.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
focusr3|1362489982|3396731 said:
As far as different lighting conditions I'm sure for obvious reasons jewlers don't like/allow people to take stones outside. Can you explain the different lighting conditions i could achieve in the store. I can only think jewler lights and then dark by covering the stone.
Piece of notebook paper makes a great diffuser to tone down the lights if nothing else.
Put it between the stone and the spot lights.
If you don't have an ASET or IS you can do a leakage check...
Take some bright red Mylar look thru the diamond table at it with the diamond a 1/2 inch or so away from the mylar and check for excessive leakage.(ie red you can see thru the stone) I used to keep a business card with red Mylar on one side and blue on the other to in my wallet to do this.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to be the voice of dissension here & say I don't love it. The facets are too chaotic for my taste. I don't really care for any of the crisscut diamonds either. If this is for an engagement ring please be sure she would appreciate the cut. I'm very big on unique pieces and seek them out but I think this stone might be a love/hate thing. Best of luck in your search.

focusr3

Rough_Rock
Am looking from the top down? Do i want to see alot of red or no red? Sorry first diamond purchase without just walking in say thats nice.lol

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
focusr3|1362496612|3396797 said:
Am looking from the top down? Do i want to see alot of red or no red? Sorry first diamond purchase without just walking in say thats nice.lol
Top down with the red under it, want to see little red.
Some will be normal.

focusr3

Rough_Rock
Sorry Karl K
So Mylar like a mylar ballon material or am I thinking of the wrong thing? Also the less red the better?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, like Mylar balloons, less red the better (in case Karl doesn't see this.) But I dont know what you would use as a control...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
focusr3|1362505187|3396919 said:
Sorry Karl K
So Mylar like a mylar ballon material or am I thinking of the wrong thing? Also the less red the better?
yep Mylar balloon is a perfect source for it, some craft stores also sell sheets of it but the balloons are often cheaper.
Basically yes the less the better but a small amount would be normal, and it should go away in that area as you tilt the stone.
A lot of red or areas that stay red with tilt are warning signs.
Its not a very good test but better than nothing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results