cnkav

Shiny_Rock
Jessica Biel's ring

jessica_sring.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife_2010|1361733064|3389307 said:

Thanks for the pics. Looks like she has a pink halo around her centre EC as well as around two cushion sidestones. Is that right? Personally, I think she shouldn't have halo'ed them or alternatively not add the sidestones. But what do I know, lol?! :tongue: :bigsmile:

I LUUUURVE her jewellery (as I also adore Victoria Beckham's). Mariah Carey has some absolutely TDF bracelets!! :love: :love: :love: :lickout: :lickout: I also love Mariah and her songs - she's fabulous!! :appl:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well after seeing Kristen Bell's ring on here and doing some research, I'm officially in love. Many are saying it is fancy brown or fancy light brown. I really adore the setting.

kristen_bells-engagement-ring.jpg

gixxerbabe

Rough_Rock
I'm confused... Did Mariah change her side stones at some point? I always remembered them being half-moon shaped, but I've seen a few pictures that show trillion side stones. :confused:

mariah-carey-ring.jpg

mariah.jpg

_4155.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Pheonix said:
armywife_2010|1361733064|3389307 said:

Thanks for the pics. Looks like she has a pink halo around her centre EC as well as around two cushion sidestones. Is that right? Personally, I think she shouldn't have halo'ed them or alternatively not add the sidestones. But what do I know, lol?! :tongue: :bigsmile:

I LUUUURVE her jewellery (as I also adore Victoria Beckham's). Mariah Carey has some absolutely TDF bracelets!! :love: :love: :love: :lickout: :lickout: I also love Mariah and her songs - she's fabulous!! :appl:
I'd love to see some of her bracelets! Off to hunt for pictures...

gixxerbabe

Rough_Rock
nermend|1362323761|3395121 said:
gixxerbabe|1362291899|3394955 said:
I'm confused... Did Mariah change her side stones at some point? I always remembered them being half-moon shaped, but I've seen a few pictures that show trillion side stones. :confused:

She did change the sidestones. I liked the half moons much better.

Thanks for confirming! I thought I was going crazy. I definitely liked the half moons better as well.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too about Mariah's ring. The half moons were perfect.

gixxerbabe

Rough_Rock
nermend|1362590074|3397991 said:
derbygal|1362525340|3397329 said:
Me too about Mariah's ring. The half moons were perfect.

I went to Mariahdaily.com GALLERY April 2008 (the month she got engaged) and confirmed her original engagement ring had half moons. Then I noticed in that same GALLERY in October 2008 she was wearing another ring on her ring finger for weeks. I also remembered that during that month she was GMA and told Diane Sawyer that the ring she was wearing was "a placeholder for her engagement ring". When she was photographed wearing her original engagement ring again, I think in November 2008, the half moons were gone and the trapezoids were there. Mystery solved. I guess she just didn't like the half moons. :(

You're right, great investigating! Thank you.

I wonder if the tweaks to the ring had anything to do with the gossip of it being a "hand me down" ring that Nick gave to his ex-fiance. I'm not sure if this was ever confirmed but it sure looked like the same ring.

Anyhow, it was beautiful with the half moons.

armywife_2010

Rough_Rock
ericad|1363040413|3402311 said:
More pics of Olivia's ring! There need to be more gemstone halos in the world - beautiful! Hmmmm, do I see a new trend coming???
great pics of the ring

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Best shot of Jennifer Aniston's e-ring that I could find..

j_aniston.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it me or does Anniston's ring look cloudy and off color? The bracelets on her wrist are so sparkely.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do a google image search of rose cut diamonds and you'll see that this is what they're supposed to look like. It's not a brilliant cut - it's an antique cut, one of the earliest, with few facets and a flat bottom. Anna Paquin has a rose cut diamond too.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it because the size is so big that it looks dull? It just never seems to have any flash. Are there rose cut diamonds that have flash? It seems to me that there has never been a good picture of the ring-or description.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
lambskin|1363705612|3408605 said:
Is it because the size is so big that it looks dull? It just never seems to have any flash. Are there rose cut diamonds that have flash? It seems to me that there has never been a good picture of the ring-or description.

Rose cut diamonds don't have the same flash that old european cuts or round brilliant do. They are also much more shallow so have a larger spread compared to a OEC or RB of the same carat weight. From almost every description I have seen of her ring, it has been described as a rose cut ring.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Googled rose cut images and see what you are describing. :)) So the 'cloudiness" that I see is most likely from her finger through the shallow cut and larger facets.

fogdancer

Shiny_Rock
wilionmuthy|1363846360|3410158 said:
good i like it

The rose cut diamond was one of the early or antique diamond shapes. It was so named because it resembled a rose bud just before it had opened - with the facets resembling the tightly-packed rose bud petals.

The rose cut diamond has no table (flat top) but a somewhat domed top (somewhere between a pyramid and a hemisphere) consisting of many facets, typically triangular, which meet at a point in the center. It has a completely flat base - in other words, no pavilion (lower area) at all. The Rose Cut Diamond's facets are often in two rows - with "star facets" (often six triangles) in the center and a proportional number of facets in the second row. However, some of the bigger diamonds of old times featured rose cuts with more than two rows of facets.

The rose cut diamond was believed to have been introduced in European cities in 1520, although some say the rose cut originated in India in around 1400. However despite having been one of the cuts of choice between the 16th and 18th centuries the rose cut had fallen from fashion among modern gem cutters by the 20th century. One of the reasons for this is that in old times, diamonds were cut more to maximize carat weight, using simpler tools - whereas nowadays, with the evolution of technology designed to bring out the full sparkle of the gems, "brilliance" and "fire" are more prized; and more of the original rough diamond tends to be removed in the process. Old rose cut diamonds have less fire than their more modern, brilliant cut counterparts - and hence they fell from popularity when new, advanced cutting techniques were devised.
In ancient jewelry settings, rose cut diamonds were sometimes backed by a thin layer of shiny metal foil in order to reflect light back up to the crown (upper surface). [2]

Most of the old rose cut diamonds were refaceted into brilliants using modern technology - which means that true antique rose cut diamonds have become scarce and valuable. In general, antique diamonds are valued differently to modern diamonds, and comparing the two types may be misleading.[3]

Other names for the Rose Cut are the Rosette, Antwerp Rose (Roses d'Anvers), Dutch Cut, Crowned Rose Cut, or the Full Holland Cut. The Dutch references in the names reflect the fact that Holland was once the capital of the diamond-cutting world.
Rose Cut Diamond Types

There are several types of rose cut: The Dutch Rose Diamond (or Holland Rose Diamond) has twenty-four facets in two rows of equal depth (images 1 and 2); the Rose Recoupee (image 5) has thirty-six; and the Brabant Rose Diamond (image 3) has twelve or fewer - with the lower row being taller and the top row more shallow. A Double Dutch Rose Diamond (image 6) is, as the name suggests, faceted both above and below to form a shape identical to two Rose Cut diamonds back-to-back. Other variations on the Rose Cut include the Senaille Cut - a Rose Cut with irregular or non-symmetrical faceting, and the Briolette Cut (images 7,9,11) - pear or oval shaped, similar to the Double Dutch Rose, but with one of the two hemispheres being longer than the other. [1] [5] The Antwerp Rose is a hexagonal form of rose cut diamond. [6]

Although the rose cut was ostensibly swept aside by the more modern brilliant cuts, therhas been something of a curious revival of interest in the rose cut diamond in America in recent times. Perhaps this is in part due to their scarcity; perhaps due to the perennial taste for romance, the exotic and the antique. Interestingly enough - some cutters in India, the center of the world's diamond cutting industry, have revived the rose cut. However, many of these roses are created as replacement gemstones for antique jewelry. [4]

It's thought by some that the rose cut may have had ancient Indian origins because famous old Indian diamonds, such as the Sancy, featured a rose-like cut and are of indeterminate age and origin.

Descriptions of the last pics of cut types:

1. Holland Rose (side view)
2. Holland Rose (crown view)
3. Brabant Rose (side view)
4. Marquise Brilliant, 72 facets (for comparison; not a rose cut)
5. Rose Recoupee
6. Double Dutch Rose, 48 facets (side view)
7. Briolette Brilliant, 88 facets (side view)
8. Marquise Rose, 24 facets (crown view; flat underneath)
9.Briolette Brilliant, 48 facets (side view)
10. Pendeloque Rose, 24 facets (crown view; flat underneath)
11. Briolette Brilliant, 88 facets (side view)

c9b52ba69e7bfcc8692c23d3bc53b.jpg

winter05_rings9a.jpg

antique-victorian-pendants-between-7000-and-15000-usd-08098-4256.jpg

rose-cut-diamonds.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Except for the briolette, I agree with the above post.

cnkav

Shiny_Rock
Antonio Sabato Jr.'s wife's ring

antonio-sabato-4-660.jpg

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
IMO rose cuts look way better in smaller sizes and in antique/vintage jewelry. I have to say that every celeb ring I've seen that Lorraine Schwartz has designed/made is too big and very gaudy..
:shock:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elle Macpherson just got engaged to her billionaire beau. She is sporting a plat sparkler that looks like a step cut.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phil Jackson gave a huge emerald cut three stone ring to long time GF. Set in Plat it is just gorgeous!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is Real Housewife of Atlanta NeNe Leakes' new 15 carat honker:

neneleakes3.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is Jeanie Buss' emerald cut mentioned above (Phil Jackson's fiance).

phil_jackson_fiance_s_ring.jpg

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Alexis Bledel's

alexis-bledel-300x400.jpg

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
westjenn said:
IMO rose cuts look way better in smaller sizes and in antique/vintage jewelry. I have to say that every celeb ring I've seen that Lorraine Schwartz has designed/made is too big and very gaudy..
:shock:

I totally agree with you on both the comments.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results