shape
carat
color
clarity

antique platinum OMC five-stone

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Saw this ring in a local shop before Christmas. It was my size (miracle of miracles, since I wear an 8-8.25). Decent price ($1850 for .6 ct., no idea of color, specs on individual stones, etc.), although certainly not a steal.

Since I'm still looking for an OMC at a reasonable price, I went back today. Shop didn't have anything that was my specs, but this was still there and I tried it on again. (The sales woman takes some of the same fitness center classes that I do, which is how I knew she worked in an antique jewelry store and the main reason I made my first visit.)

Horrible cell phone photos but it's all I could do. The ones I tried to take with it on the display "finger" were even worse.

The diamonds are definitely warm but they face up a lot whiter than the photo shows. The setting seems to be in good condition and it really sets off the diamonds. There's another similar ring (.58 ct., similar setting, but less curved to fit the finger) for about $500 more. I prefer this one. It is pretty substantial on top but felt comfortable. Definitely needs cleaning. It's pretty blingy for the diamond weight.

Then I went by the nearby "we buy gold" place and asked about OMCs they might have. The guy says that they generally don't do anything with the diamonds that they get so he's going to check their stash and also talk to someone he thinks might have something. May be a wild goose chase, but all it took me was a little time.

Didn't get any photos that show my entire hand...

classic01.jpg

classic02.jpg

classic03.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm...sounds like this one is calling your name Libby! I love it - what a beautiful setting, it really does look substantial on your hand. I have a little extra money in the bling budget right now and am considering an old cut band like this. And it being your size is such a plus. You're right on the price - it's decent but not a steal. But I'm in the camp if it's something you really love, it's worth paying a little more than you might normally. So...how are you leaning?

And oh - did you decide on the other OMC ring yet?

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Junebug,

I'm sending the other one back, just e-mailed the vendor. It's a pretty little thing and it just goes to show that even wonky, poorly cut diamonds can sometimes be sparkly little devils. But I don't like how DZ misrepresented the specs on it and I won't be buying from them again because this is not the first time I've gotten something that was not nearly as described.

Dreamer_D has been kind and generous enough to share some links on ebay to better choices, both examples that have sold recently and some things that are available now. If I don't get one of them, there will be some similar things available later. I just don't have the mad search skills that Dreamer_D does but now that I have some of her finds, I can use those to search for similar items.

The thing is, I don't really need any more bling. I wear my 2 ct. oval ering on my left hand and my antique oval JbEG ring on the right hand most of the time. An alternate OMC ering would be my weekend/travel ring.

I can afford to buy the OMC five-stone and an alternate ering, but I don't know that I can justify it or that it's a wise use of my money. OTOH, I think an OMC alternate ering and a blingy OMC five-stone would pretty much satisfy my diamond ring cravings for a long, long time!

liz

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah ok, I think you're making the right call on the OMC. It's great that Dreamer is giving you a hand - she has such a good eye for these old cuts. I'm not nearly as good, but I've been browsing around on ebay a lot lately, and if I come across anything that might have potential I'll post it.

Boy, I hear ya on not needing any more bling - I go back and forth on spending the money too. But on the other hand I enjoy diamonds so much that it's hard to resist! Right now I'm a little all over the place in terms of my next purchase. I don't know - just planning and thinking about an upcoming purchase is fun and gives me something to look forward to. 8)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results