shape
carat
color
clarity

How old do you think this setting is? (Vintage)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I recently came across this simple vintage ring and was wondering how old you thought it was?
When was that style of basket head popular?

Thanks!

454howold1.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
No one?

I'm just trying to find out what era basket heads, and cathedral settings started/became widely used.

From what I can tell it's more modern than edwardian/victorian/deco but could it be early 1930's/40's/50's?

When did a more minimalist approach to settings really get started? I feel like the Tiffany solitare got minimalist settings going, but clearly this is no Tiffany.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
925 is silver, right?

My gut feeling is that this is much later, maybe 80s-90s (if not even more recent). Not sure I can explain why, but just the impression I guess. Maybe the look of the piece, the craftsmanship, etc.

Is it a silver piece, and what is it set with?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
The peg type head in it would make me thing it's a bit later. Although cathedral styles have certainly been around the block for many decades in the really old rings (like Edwardian) you never see a peg head. It's always some sort of integrated crown head.

I searched at some point for the era when peg heads started being used but didn't come up with much....mostly you started seeing them after the 50'd I think, but hopefully if someone knows they can correct me on that.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
HopeDream|1361497245|3387150 said:
No one?

I'm just trying to find out what era basket heads, and cathedral settings started/became widely used.

From what I can tell it's more modern than edwardian/victorian/deco but could it be early 1930's/40's/50's?

When did a more minimalist approach to settings really get started? I feel like the Tiffany solitare got minimalist settings going, but clearly this is no Tiffany.

I've been trying to find out similar things myself recently....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks modern to me.

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
it also looks recent to me...

but FWIW - Lang's Antique Uni does talk about when claw settings started to become popular

Claw setting is accomplished by cutting prongs into or soldering them to the outside of a collet or bezel. The stone sits on a metal band soldered inside the bezel and the prongs are pressed over the crown facets to keep the stone in place. The claw setting was developed in the 19th century to set transparent stones in such a way as to allow light to enter and pass through the stone that is exposed both top and bottom.

and the classic Tiffany setting was released in 1886

for me it's the way that the shank swings up the sides that makes it feel modern

are there any marks (makers marks) on the other side of the shank??

the simple 925 stamp does not tell us a lot unfortunately

AshleyParker

Rough_Rock
It looks very nice and modern to me.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
heliotrope|1361573168|3388040 said:
it also looks recent to me...

but FWIW - Lang's Antique Uni does talk about when claw settings started to become popular

Claw setting is accomplished by cutting prongs into or soldering them to the outside of a collet or bezel. The stone sits on a metal band soldered inside the bezel and the prongs are pressed over the crown facets to keep the stone in place. The claw setting was developed in the 19th century to set transparent stones in such a way as to allow light to enter and pass through the stone that is exposed both top and bottom.

and the classic Tiffany setting was released in 1886

for me it's the way that the shank swings up the sides that makes it feel modern

are there any marks (makers marks) on the other side of the shank??

the simple 925 stamp does not tell us a lot unfortunately

It's true that claw prongs have been around since that time but not peg heads, that I can tell.

The older type heads tended to look like this, or some sort of variation of it:

antiquetiff2_0.png

But a peg head looks like this, and I only see these in much later ring styles, but haven't come across an actual date when they started to be used, maybe the 60's?

peg-head.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Ah thank you for the replies!

It was an ebay special that arrived yesterday (had a big ole' 1cm cz). Once in hand, It was actually quite flimsy and definately made sometime between the 1990's and now. The pictures made it look older and chunkier, so I though it may have been more retro than it turned out to be, maybe hand crafted? (nope).

The seller had advertised it as being at least 50 years old, but that is clearly not the case.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results