shape
carat
color
clarity

100+ year old OEC 2.c

Janpal

Rough_Rock
Hi fellow diamond lovers! This is my first post and I'm technically challenged so I don't know how to post a photo. I've got a 2 c. Old diamond in a really cool classic vintage setting (long baguettes on either side of a round solitaire). It was great grandma's and all I know is that it's super sparkly and a great color. It's pretty beat up - little chip on one side so I doubt it's super valuable, but it's still huge and awesome. I guess I should take it to a jeweler and see what they say about it, but I thought I'd start here first and ask your opinions. How much does the wear and tear affect the value? You have to look really hard to see the imperfection.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Janpal!

Sounds like you have a lovely ring. A chip can affect value a great deal, but it depends on how big it is and whether it's structurally damaging to the stone. Tiny chips on the girdle are normal for old stones, so if it's really microscopic, the effect on cost could be minimal.

What also affects value is color, clarity, and cut. An appraiser may be able to help you figure out color and clarity, but my impression is that not a lot of appraisers or jewelers know how to evaluate cut in an old stone, since the proportions are different from modern round brilliants.

It would be so great if you could upload a photo! To upload, click on "upload attachment," click on "browse" and select the image from your computer (make sure the file is not too big, maybe compress it ahead of time), then click on "add the file" and it should be attached.

Cheers!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Welcome! We'd love to see a photo! It's really neat to see a family heirloom...many of us have old stones but they weren't originally part of our family....

I would take it to a reputable appraiser to get a replacement value estimate for insurance purposes....

Hoping to see a photo (or twelve! ;)) ) soon....

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats pretty amazing 100+ years old! I guess there are a lot out there like that, but just to hear it said makes quite the impact. I'm adding another request for shots!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I third the pic request if you are able :wink2: We sure do love to drool over other people's bling.
Also, I agree...definitely an appraisal. Unless you are planning on selling or the value is important, the value would be just to protect what you have. I know that I have a diamond that belonged to my great aunt that has a chip. I love it AND its blemishes. So the value would be a mute point unless I was thinking of selling. Also, if it bothers you, sometimes diamonds with little chips can be good candidates for getting it polished out. Personally, my insurance wouldn't cover loss if a diamond cracked during a repolish, so I wouldn't think of it. So glad you have an heirloom. They are priceless!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results