shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
Mia- I just saw your question from the other week about BH and labour.

I had BH starting from about 18 weeks and they continued on, getting more frequent the whole pregnancy. From 36 weeks I would get 2+hours of BH every 5 minutes or so every night. I thought I was in labour a few times!

I ended up going into labour at 39+3. And um, giving birth at 39+5 after a 48 hour labour!

So absolutely no correlation for me between early and frequent BH and a short labour!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Guys! What's up with you?

Bobbin Ah! That is not what I wanted to hear! Just kidding, from looking online I don't think the braxton hicks really mean anything, but I'm still going to hope! 39+5 isn't bad though, I am really afraid of going overdue and having to be induced.

Fisher Post a picture of your bag I want to see it! We did the same thing you are planning as far as registering for things on BRU, and then just buying them cheaper on other sites after our showers. I wanted people to have a lot of things to choose or at least see the things that we liked if they wanted to buy them elsewhere. Our plan worked out really well. We had three showers and although we did get a ton of clothes because we are having a girl, we also managed to get just about everything we needed with giftcards. Since I am taking an extended maternity leave, I wanted every penny to stretch so I spent a great deal of time coordinating coupons and sales and comparing prices for each product we wanted to see if we should use our non-BRU giftcards instead. It all worked out really well. My philosophy is that if people want to be generous and buy you things, it might as well be things you want and are actually going to use. My showers were early too at 24 weeks, 28 weeks and 32 weeks so we had a lot of time to plan and wait for sales and see what people bought us. I can't believe you are in the 3rd trimester already!!!

CurlySue I think it is fantastic that you are thinking about nannies now! It's great to be able to plan ahead as much as possible! I never got the carpal tunnel, but boy did I have the leg cramps really bad in the 2nd trimester. I had to get out of bed multiple times in the night to walk them out. Now I don't get them as much but I have devised a method of staying in bed and turning on my back with my knees up and feet flat on the bed and I kind of simulate walking in that position. It has been working for me and I don't have to get out of bed and wake up to do it.

BlackPolkaDot I registered really early because I wanted to have a list going and I didn't want to forget anything. I also had my first shower really early, which I totally recommend since it gave us so much time to plan and buy everything. I know it's not ideal because people want to see you really pregnant, but I had to have mine early because I flew back East for it and 24 weeks was the best time for me to go (because of work and the holidays, etc.). I think was showing enough though. As for when to take the classes. I recommend trying to find the perfect time between close enough to delivery that you will remember what you learn, but not too close that you could go into early labor and miss them. I also think you should consider your comfort. Those classes were really tough for me because you sit for several hours. Even though all my classes had comfy chairs, they aren't so comfy after an hour or so. I can't remember when I took them, but I do remember thinking I wished I took them a few weeks earlier when I was more comfortable.

LuvThem Thanks for asking how I have been feeling. I guess it was just something random. I feel fine now! I'm on maternity leave and feel great like I could go a couple more months of this. So hard to believe that she is due in less than 3 weeks! But I'm excited and ready for her to come at any time. It sounds like your DH also benefited from the BFing class. I felt relieved for mine when we walked in and it was all couples. There was only one woman there without a partner. I think things have changed a lot since our parents had us even! I was just over a friend's house and they are Australian and they were telling us about this Australian tradition that the men used to do when a baby was born. I guess they would take the new father out that night and get him hammered to celebrate. Of course all the young mothers in the room were shocked to think of their husband staying up all night partying while they would be alone in the hospital with a newborn. But then we all kind of realized that it was a different time then where men weren't even allowed in the room for the birth. Nowadays they spend the night, take paternity leave, and are much more involved! Oh yeah, and unfortunately, I do think with baby products (like your diaper bag) a lot of it is trial and error. You realize what you don't like only after paying a lot for the product and then either realizing you never use it or that it's not as functional as you thought it would be. I think it's partially because of all the marketing and the push to have the newest, most innovative products but also because you find out what works for you with experience. That's why so there are so many products that women swear by when other women say the same product was useless for them. I was lucky that I got to test out a lot of products as a nanny so I have a sense of what I like and will actually use, but then again every baby is different and I also bought a bunch of new products that weren't available when I was a nanny so I know there will be some trial and error for me too.

AFM, Hanging in here at 37 weeks 3 days yo! I am feeling great and excited that the baby's room is finally finished!!!! We will also officially have everything we need when the stroller comes on Thursday! This is my second full week of maternity leave and I have a lot of projects to do around the house so hopefully I will be able to stay busy enough not to feel like I am just waiting for this thing to happen!

Question about the nursery- So I washed all the newborn sizes, and the crib and changing table bedding. Now I keep thinking things are going to get dusty before she comes. Do you think I should cover everything? Just a couple of more weeks to go and we live on a quiet cul-de-sac so the house doesn't get super dusty, but I hate the smell of dust on fabric.

Baby position- Okay so the problem with constant braxton hicks is that it seems with each one I'm trying to assess my pain level and I ask myself "is this the beginning of IT?" It's kind of making me anxious and I am starting to obsess. Now I wish I wasn't having them so I wouldn't be thinking about it all the time. Every night I have gnarly cramps that are worse than menstrual cramps but not painful like I would expect labor pains to be. So of course I lay there awake trying to evaluate if they are getting worse or whatever until I fall asleep. So I am constantly wondering if something is happening. I begged my doctor to check at 36 weeks 5 days and she had a hard time reaching and said I was soft but closed and long. So I don't think anything is happening. She said the baby is head down but not engaged or real low or anything. She is still estimating 39 weeks for me but now I'm paranoid that she is just saying that to get me ready to start talking about induction when 39 weeks hits. Anyway, I was wondering how everyone closer to their DD is feeling about the baby's position. My baby is head down which is great, but she's not really that low and she is facing forward instead of my back. My doctor said she will likely turn in time for delivery, but we'll see.

Lastly, what are you guys doing for the nurses? I want to bring something but I'm unsure of when you actually give them something. I made and froze cookie dough to hopefully bake when I go into labor. But what do I do, walk in there to check in and hand them cookies? It feels weird to thank them in advance but I also want to do something for the L&D nurses and I know I won't see them after I get transferred to Recovery (we are just going to order pizza or something for the recovery nurses). I also think doing something nice at the start could be helpful since they are the ones who will determine my labor experience. So what is your plan? Are you doing anything?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hello lovely pregnant ladies!

I haven't been keeping up with the thread too much so I'm sorry if I miss anyone!

Pupp, you're getting so close! How are you feeling? I think we registered for a messenger style diaper bag so I may have to look up the one we have on our list and see what kind of reviews it gets.

LTS, now I'm going to be curious to know the weight and length of your baby! I'm glad your back is feeling better since the baby dropped. Did you find that you had a harder time sleeping once the baby dropped or did that not really make a difference in your quality of sleep? I've been struggling lately with back pain in bed and I get depressed when I realize it's only going to get more uncomfortable.

blackpolkadot, I don't think you're registering too early. Slow and steady is how I'm wishing I had done it. The two people throwing my showers had to hound me to get registered. We were so overwhelmed standing in BRU with a scanner. I wish I'd taken more time to research what we needed or taken a friend who could help us.

CurlySue, are you trying anything to ease the carpal tunnel symptoms? I have a co-worker who was struggling with this and she found relief from acupuncture. If it gets bad enough, you could get a brace from a doctor to see if that helps. And of course, I'm always recommending massage! :wink2:

Fisher, congrats on reaching third trimester! The time does just seem to speed up, doesn't it? First trimester seemed to absolutely drag by, second went a little faster but now that we're in the third, it's like I just want to pause time and get things done before it gets too late.

Sorry for anyone I missed!

AFM, just chugging along at 31w2d. DH and I started putting together the nursery this weekend. Buying everything from IKEA seemed like a fantastic idea until I realized we were going to be spending five hours assembling. So far, everything looks pretty good. We just need to start decorating and get the closet organized.

We spent a week in St. Lucia on our "babymoon." It was fabulous. We were at an all-inclusive and since I couldn't get my monies worth in alcohol, I spent the entire week eating everything that passed in front of me. It was glorious. DH carved out a hole in the sand for me so I could lay face down. I kept looking at him and saying "this is the happiest day of my life." The plus side to traveling while pregnant is that you get constantly pulled to the front of lines and everyone is super accommodating, the negative is the swelling. Holy Toledo, did I have some cankles. My toes were so swollen after our return flights that I couldn't even bend them. DH had to help me shove my feet into boots since I'd worn flip flops on the flights and it was snowing when we arrived back in St. Louis.

We also took a tour of the hospital yesterday which made everything feel more real. I had originally planned to try and labor without medication but I've definitely wavered on that and if I want the epidural, I'm going for it. We have our birthing class in a few weeks. I think that will be really helpful for us.

I'm attaching a picture from the babymoon. I was almost 30 weeks when DH took this. We spent a day hiking. Going uphill was actually quite easy, it was coming back down that was super hard. My center of gravity was so far out in front of me that I had to tilt my body backwards to maintain balance. I'm sure I looked super graceful.

30_weeks.jpg

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TG, 31 weeks? Seriously? It feels like YESTERDAY that you posted you were knocked up! I hope it feels like it's going by quickly for you and not just me. :lol:

I'm hanging in there. I'm physically just plain pooped! A lot of pelvic pressure (and pain :(( ) and my ankles and feet are in terrible shape with swelling. Fortunately that doesn't hurt. I'm 38 weeks tomorrow and DS was born at 38w5d so I'm holding out hope that this little man will be here within a week. I know I can't count on it but it's what gets me through my days!

Luvthem, I've felt improved a bit since this baby dropped too. Breathing a little easier and the indigestion has slowed down significantly. That's a relief because it makes sleeping a bit easier.

Mia, I had the same exact worries with the BH when I was pregnant with DS. Every night, I would question whether it was time. While I can't pinpoint the exact time my labor started because of the BH, I definitely knew when I was in labor. There was no question about it! It still did wear on me emotionally over time to keep wondering if I was going into labor.

Bobbin, you poor thing! Tons of BH and a long labor? Now that's unfair!

Fisher, congrats on the third trimester! Time is going to start flying.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curly, are you sleeping on your back? I had the same problem in my second trimester but it went away. I think it was because I was sleeping on my back.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
TG you look amazing! I'm so jealous of your babymoon.

Pupp you are so close! Does your doc do checks?

Mia - you are cracking me up. The cookies would be great if you can swing it! I waited to go in until I was pretty far along so my memory f how that goes is fuzzy. Also I wouldn't worry ab dust but I am super not a cleaner like that. I already washed all my gender neutral stuff to put in her drawers and I am only 28 wks!

AFM not much going on. Going from one crazy nesting obsession to the next. Currently on diapers. We CD my DS but I am itching to switch "systems" now that I know what works for us and what doesn't.

I feel SUPER big and starving all the time, which makes me feel kind of gross. Trying to get over the body image issues and enjoy the ride :)

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
And Curly - I'm no expert but I would mention it to your ob. Probably common but maybe there is something that would help! It's crazy the changes in nerves and joints.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Look at all the action in here today!

LTS - Haven't heard from you in awhile. I think your due date is tomorrow... is it possible you are already holding your little one?

Pupp - You could go any day now, too! Can't wait for this next little baby boom!

TG - You look fabulous, mama! I am impressed that you spent a day hiking. I am pretty sure I would be done after about an hour! Also - do you live in STL? Maybe I knew that already. Hmm. Anyway - I lived their for 4 years and still visit often, as my sister and her fam are there, as are a bunch of my close friends from grad school. I really enjoy that city!!

Mia - I love that you are such a planner and have thought about what to do for the hospital staff. I'd like to do something, but like you, I can't really figure out how/when to do it. I am wondering if it's reasonable for my DH to run out and get some stuff, since our hospital is in downtown Chicago and there should be plenty of places to get some food or snacks or something. Curious to hear what others are planning.

Miscka - Like you, I've had some body image issues - especially recently. This might be TMI, but for our wedding, I had some boudoir photos taken for my DH, and I had them put together in a book. While cleaning this weekend, I found the book and started looking at it and then started whining about how I may not ever have that body again. I hate that I am so worried about that, as I also want to "enjoy the ride," but... ugh.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and thoughts re: carpal tunnel. I have my GD test tomorrow and will be seeing my dr., so I'll check in with her, though I have a feeling she'll suggest a brace. The last couple of nights haven't been too bad, as I've really been paying attention to how I'm positioning myself. I always sleep on my side (usually half the night on my left and half on my right), but I have been stretching my arm and hand out on my Snoogle so that it is lying flat rather than curled up. That seems to help a bit.

I am home sick (well, working from home) today with a wicked cold. Yuck. Hoping the extra sleep I got today will help it move along.

I have been a hormonal mess lately! One day, I was sitting in the nursery in the glider (which I love), and I got all teary-eyed as I thought about what it will be like to be holding my baby girl, rocking her to sleep. Then I stumbled across "Father of the Bride (Pt. II)" on TV yesterday, and there was a scene where Steve Martin was having flashbacks to his daughter as she grew up, and I busted out into tears.

We're heading out of town for a psuedo-vacation on Wednesday. My dad and step-mom live in Savannah, so we're going down to visit them. So not really a vacation, but definitely a little get-away from work and all the other projects we've been juggling around the house. Should be nice!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, figured I should check in... still baking away here! Due date is tomorrow! Things have been a bit all over the place here lately. My Granddad passed away last Monday, which I'm dealing with fine (he had been declining, but certainly wasn't at the "end", so it was still a surprise) - I didn't go to the funeral due to the pregnancy, but it has been surreal to deal with so many distractions in my head with being at the end of pregnancy, but also comprehend that happening and everything. We have finally made headway here at home in getting things ready to bring a baby here. It's about as good as it's going to get prior to moving in a few months, but we'll make it. At least the baby stuff is washed, ready, and organized (I debated washing things due to sizing questions, but I'm pretty much just assuming we'll need at least 0-3mo sizes - newborn just looks TOO tiny, so those few items I didn't wash, and we really don't have tons of clothes yet anyway). Diapers are prepped and ready to go - taking them to the hospital too, hopefully to put cloth on that tooshie from the very start. I only have to finish packing our bags (they are at least started and sitting out), and do a few small things here with the camera and computer to get ready. Physically, I'm doing ok, just really feeling the effects of more and more low pressure, and having to cope with more fatigue and my body really not being 100% anymore, and the fact that there's not much I can do about that now. It's strange for things like that to be so much less controllable by me, and for me to really have to listen to my body and rest when my mind wants to be doing other things. I've begun to miss more days at work too, for the same reason, so unless something changes I see myself needing to go out on leave very soon, even if I go another week or two before the baby gets here. I was wanting to work right up until, but I've made it to 40 weeks basically, so I can't complain about that. Just didn't want to spend 2 of my 12 weeks at home alone, without a baby. But we'll see how it works out. Just waiting at this point... feeling so much movement, lots of BH especially at night, but not a lot of pain, and some very low sensations sometimes that feels like the baby is moving its head and trying to get out right.now. or something, haha.

We're not having anyone in the room with us besides the medical people (so no family, photographer, etc.). But I'm a photographer on the side, so of course very much wanting pictures (or possibly video) of those first moments. I doubt a nurse is going to pick up my professional camera and start snapping away like I've heard they sometimes do with people's cameras. So I'm debating how we want to handle that - I don't need pics/video of the birth "down there" but I really think I'd like to have the moments when the baby is out and we first meet to be recorded, whether that be stills or video. I don't think my husband is crazy about holding our small video camera during that, since he'll be helping me and wants to make sure he's completely present for me. I'm debating maybe having him maybe just set up the video camera on our tiny tripod and keep it recording there at the end to get our faces and the baby once it's out and on me. I know maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but I also know that those moments can be fleeting, and if you're not prepared with a plan, you often will miss the moment altogether, and these are ones I cannot ask to repose and get the shot. I know we can take some of our own photos shortly after that, but I feel like those first moments are going to be so full of energy, and there are things I'm not even going to be able to recall. Any thoughts out there?

We had our 39 week appointment last week. Reviewed the birth plan a second time, so that's about at a good place - I have a few more edits to make, and they'll put it in my file for me so everyone has access to it. I measured 40 weeks, which she said was still fine. When the midwife felt around, she confirmed that it's still head down (has been for quite a while). But I mentioned how at the last appointment, another midwife had expressed slight awe at the size of the baby. It wasn't quite the "heft" that she was concerned about, but she had confirmed what I'd been feeling for weeks - that I have feet and legs WAY over in my side, and that this baby must be quite long or something. She asked us about our birth weights, but iterated that that's not a true predictor. So the midwife at this 39 week appointment felt over things again, and confirmed that it's definitely a "good sized" baby in there, haha... woohoo? :cheeky: She estimated at least 8 pounds then. She showed my husband how the baby is laying, and even picked up her hands from my belly to show us how big the baby is from crown to rump alone - kind of eye opening when you see it like htat. But she did make me feel better when she reminded me that even as the baby continues to grow, to not fret because our pelvis also knows how to grow and accommodate the baby as its size increases. I'm in constant amazement of our bodies and what fascinating, smart things they are. No cervical check, and we won't do one unless I'm just curious. I think I'd rather keep those to a minimum, since they really don't give any helpful timing information anyway.

To address a few comments I've seen here...

Mia, I love the idea of gifts for the hospital staff, but honestly have never heard of people doing that, and it isn't something I've thought about at all... probably won't at this point, to be honest. Also, we live in one of the dustiest places I have ever seen (I swear I can dust one day and pick up dust with a finger within a few days)... we are so frustrated by it and ready to be done with this place... anyway, we kept the plastic on the cradle mattress and changing pad, and everything else is either washed and in a drawer or in a storage tub - all waiting for the baby, away from the dust, since I could technically go another 2 weeks, which would equal ickiness all over brand new clean baby stuff. So we'll put the sheet and other items on the furniture once we get home.

Miscka, I hear you on feeling large and starving, and getting frustrated with it, but wanting to make sure you enjoy the ride. Make sure you do that. I've tried to keep positive this whole time, despite feeling very uncomfortable at times, because I really can't complain and have had a very good and healthy pregnancy. It's only just now getting to where I literally can feel a difference in my body's abilities, in terms of the pains and pressure I'm getting, and the fatigue really beginning to affect me. So I guess what I'm saying is, keep the positive attitude you have of enjoying the ride. I've had people make comments to me at work - not rude ones, but they make me aware of how people have obviously noticed how "big" my belly has finally gotten. Makes me a little more aware of it, but I do my best to not be self conscious and to accept it for what it is. I've gained a little over 30 pounds, which I honestly did not expect, but it is basically all in the belly, which I can't really figure out. So I may be huge, and people apparently are noticing that fact, but just try to embrace the amazing things our bodies are doing, and remember how quickly it will eventually feel like it's going!

TG, my sleep has been all over the place through this pregnancy. I went from excruciating back pain early on, to hip bone pain (pressure point pain, not joint pain - had to temporarily put a memory foam topper back on the bed), to that groin pain when turning over, to shoulder nerve pain, and now I have a combination of the groin pain and hip bone pain again. All those things seemed to replace each other for the most part, so I'm not sure if the baby dropping really affected the sleep overall. I can say that once the dropping started is probably when the groin pain started, and I've finally figured out that I need to keep my legs together when using them to turn over at night. I'm pretty restless these days, even though I may actually get sleep, but I'm tossing and turning a bunch, getting up to pee at least once, and dealing with a night every now and then where the mind gets going and I have to get up at 3am because I just can't sleep anymore. Regarding the back pain you're dealing with, I'm not sure if it's similar to mine (mine was actually in my sacrum, lower than my lumbar), but the only relief was making sure I had a king sized pillow to run the length between my legs, and bending my legs a certain way if the pain was bad. It was hit or miss exactly what positions worked, but I'd always have to just get still and try to calm down and let the pain ease away. That sacral pain was pretty bad for a while - it even affected me at work in my chair, all day - I was so thankful when that pain went out the door, which come to think of it probably was around the time the baby started dropping, since I think that happened pretty early on for me, and I haven't had that sacral pain in a while. So make sure you have good leg support to keep those back and hip joints as much in line as possible. I never got a "pregnancy pillow" - I support myself on front and back (laying on my sides) when needed with small camping pillows I commandeered from our camping supplies - perfect sizes (I used to use a standard pillow and would wake up sweating with it). Sleep comfort is one of the things I do look forward to hopefully retaining again soon - it gets very hard sometimes when things hurt so much and you just want to sleep. I can't lay on my back, but I have discovered that I can prop a camping pillow up under one side of my back and hips, and get some temporary relief from hips or back pain that may be bothering me, just to have something different. I am definitely jealous of you getting to lay on your stomach in the sand!!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luvthem, happy due date!

38 weeks today. I did have a cervical check and I'm 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. Don't know if it's any indication when I'll go into labor but I do like the idea of making progress before actual labor. I've been spotting since my exam but I think that's normal.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I've decided I'm not calling anyone until I'm in labor. Every time I call someone, they think it's THE call and anything I have to talk about after that is not nearly as interesting to them. :lol:

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Eeeeek pupp!! I'm so excited for you!!! Your little boy is going to be here so soon :appl:

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Mia, we gave some Swiss chocolates to the nurses station when I had my baby back in October (my DH's family lives in Switzerland). With all the different nurses, I am not sure they all knew they were from us, but I think they appreciated them. I think that's a nice idea. If you want to give cookies to the L&D staff, just give them to the primary nurse who is assigned to you after you check in.

Puppmom and Strawberries, getting close. See you on the newborn thread soon!

Ladies, get your sleep now! I was up at 4am for a feeding today, and miss the good old days!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
JGator, I'm trying to get my sleep now but it's hard when I'm getting up to pee three times per night!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jgator, here's a bit of irony/Murphy's law for you. My 2 year old DS just started sleeping through the night...as in the last ten days! :lol:

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
puppmom|1360798673|3379542 said:
Jgator, here's a bit of irony/Murphy's law for you. My 2 year old DS just started sleeping through the night...as in the last ten days! :lol:

That happened to us too. O stopped waking up for a 4:30 bottle 6 weeks before the twins were born! At least he did it before they were born though! I was worried we'd have 3 not STTN!!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no Pupp and Kunzite. You have the worst of it! My sister is in a similar boat with 5 kids - she breast fed all of them so she seemed to always be breast feeding and/or pregnant, and none of them were good sleepers. Her 3-year old and 1-year old are the current problem sleepers!

I woke up a lot either to get comfortable or go to the bathroom while pregnant too, but it feels so much more tiring now staring at the clock while you are feeding a baby.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Sorry guys, I just popped back in and realized how long my last post was - I am so sorry! I had sat down to do a quick update, and was so tired that night, so I have no idea how I ended up writing so much. I'm sure there are tons of run-on sentences and rambling, so I apologize!

We had an appointment today (40+1) and they did a non stress test. She said it was a perfect reading, so we're thankful that everything is still good in there. No plans to induce (they are ok up to 42 weeks), and I opted for no cervical check since it still won't tell us anything timing-wise. I'm having some serious pain down low in the pubic bone - I forget the name, but where the baby is putting pressure on it and the hormones are causing everything to relax and separate... major pain especially when I'm trying to maneuver any way in bed. And stronger/more frequent BH.

We've decided I'm done with work - I made it to the due date, so I should be proud of that. I went in yesterday and ended up working 8.5 hours (no idea how that happened). Came home and FELL. OUT. And proceeded to sleep all night and stay in bed for a total of 12 hours. Haha, so it's probably best I don't push myself at this point.

Puppmom and Mia, hope you ladies are feeling well here towards the end! Hi to all the other ladies too! :wavey:

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Luv them i just wanted to suggest a maternity support belt if you don't have one yet? I know you probably don't want to spend more money since you are so close to the finish line...but I'm carrying twins and feel like my pubic bone is splitting apart whenever I spend too much time walking and when turning/getting out of bed. I realized yesterday when reading reviews on belts that some people use them for pain in the front and some for pain in the back. So I went for it. Only wore it for a few hours as I couldn't totally get comfortable sleeping in it but I did feel more comfortable in the evening, which is a hard time of day for me...
I can't wait to hear the news when it's time for you to deliver!

Pupp mom just sending out vibes for things to move forward when the babe is ready! Hope you are hanging in there I'm sure it's getting hard. Also looking forward to hearing good news from you. It seems
Ike our pregnancies went pretty quickly? I'm down to like 6 weeks since I won't go past 38 weeks. I can't believe it!

Curly sue I think you are on your mini vacay? Enjoy! I went on a baby moon (just the next city over) with my first baby. I really liked it- lots of nice memories...

TG I like your hiking picture and give you kudos. I haven't done a thing during this pregnancy and feel like I'm going to regret it. We are so close to each other- what's your due date?

Hi Mia! How are you feeling? I agree it's quite confusing when things are starting. Any changes since you last posted? Sorry you are probably tired of hearing that question. Hope you are feeling ok and hanging in there.

Miscka hope you are doing fine! I've lost track a little of everyone but trying to reach everyone. 5 percent battery on iPad so I'm gonna end this before I lose my post... Sorry if I missed anyone :)

moxie.moo

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone! I don't post much, but I've been looking for others' experiences with gestational diabetes, as I've been enveloped in a storm of medical intervention since being diagnosed. I have an 18 month old who was born at 41 weeks at 8lb 5oz, and I am 32 weeks into my second pregnancy. I was diagnosed with "glucose intolerance" at 29 weeks, and was recently put on slow-release insulin overnight to manage my fasting blood sugar. I am well-controlled throughout the day with diet and exercise and don't need insulin before meals. Baby is measuring at 50th percentile for my EDD, and I've gained 11 lbs total through the pregnancy. Still, as a result of the GD, my OB group has now told me that I need NST/Ultrasound with an OB visit 2x a week for the remainder of pregnancy, as well as weekly consultations with the Diabetes center in the hospital. I am a full-time doctoral student finishing up two PT internships, so I work 7-6 four days a week and don't have vacation or sick time accrued, so this could mean I can't continue with the semester. In talking to others I have known with GD, many have been monitored similarly in the third trimester, but not until they were 36/37 weeks along. Anyone else been through this? I am trying to get a feel for what others' doctors did for monitoring with GD as this seems a little extreme to me at the moment....

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Mia, I am attempting to post a pic of the diaper bag, showing some of the pockets. The flap is on the outside and the main opening is zippered so we still have easy access. :)

Curly, how did the glucose test go? Excellent, I hope!

_3693.jpg

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Fisher thats adorable! And so exciting to be buying baby things. How are you feelilng???? I missed you in my updates this morning though I don't know how. Here we are in the 3rd tri! Amazing. Actually I have only 6 weeks to go as they won't let me go past 38 weeks . ok my math is a little messed up but I'm sticking with 6 weeks because it makes me feel good, lol.

Moxiemoo I just wanted to send you big hugs through web because you sound like you have SO very much on your plate and now you have GD to deal with. I don't have any advice or guidance to offer you but I hope somebody can chime in who does...Have you tried explaining your schedule to see if they could help in any way- maybe by grouping appointments or finding a site closer to work/school that would make it easier for you?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think something's brewing here. Irregular contractions and light bleeding. I called the doc and they said to come in if contractions become regular or bleeding becomes heavier. Told me to stick close to the hospital. I'm so nervous. One of the things stressing me out most is leaving my sweet baby for a few days. ;( My 17 year old DD will probably enjoy a few days without me!

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Pupp! I hope this is it. Im rooting for you. I know how you feel about leaving your young one...I'll be looking for your updates!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh Pup! Keep us updated!

Has anyone dealt with cervix pain? I've been getting some very sharp stabbing pains. It feels like I'm being stabbed with a letter opener or like baby is trying to reach out! It stops me in my tracks and sometimes makes me yelp a little. I have an appt with my OB on Tuesday, but it's so painful, I'm half-tempted to call in the morning just to make sure it's normal. Anyone else familiar with this?

Happy Valentine's Day!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Pave-- home stretch, girl!!

I'm pretty much convinced our due date is a week off and the baby will come closer to May 5-6. I figure at least this way I won't be as disappointed if I go past due date. :). So, 11ish weeks for me. :)

Feeling pretty good. I don't sleep well for the most part, but naps are divine! How does that work?? Haha. In starting to waddle and feel fat but the docs keep telling me I've not gained too much and to jus keep eating like I have been and waking. And so that's what we do. Swelling in my feet continues but it's not painful and is gone each morning when I wake up. I'm fully in nesting mode now and have a ridiculous amount of goals to be sure everything is set before baby arrives. We finally found our bookcase and I'm ordering it tomorrow. Now I think the dresser and hutch needs to be moved to another part of the nursery, though. Funny how what looked like a large room filled in so quickly! :)

We have our birthing class this weekend. Say what?!?! Seems unreal, but yeah, I have to figure out a way to deal with the anxiety of the baby coming out. I'm excited and nervous.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
TG- I haven't had that. I get a lot of stretching pains in my pelvis and upper thighs but not like what you're describing. It's probably your body gearing up!

Pup--- go mama, go!!!! :bigsmile:

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERYONE! :love: I'll come back a little bit later to post to you all but I wanted to show you what I've been up to this week (pic below)! Now that baby's room is done and we have everything all set (woo hoo stroller came today!), I went to the good ol library and got some birthing books. I am loving reading them! So far I have only read the bottom one and the top on but I wanted to post mini reviews!

First a background on my feelings on labor/birth. Years ago I read "Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care" and saw the movie "The Business of Being Born". These made me feel like I wanted as "natural" a birth as possible and made me more interested in things like homebirths and midwives. That being said, I am also a fan of science and research and I get quickly turned off when things feel too biased to me. So my plans going in to my own labor (hospital, OBGYN- insurance doesn't cover a midwife) are to try and avoid unnecessary interventions (avoiding induction, getting a hep-lock instead of routine IV, staying home as long as possible before going to the hospital, laboring down, using the shower and moving around during labor, etc.) I am going to try and avoid the epidural but I have friends who failed to progress because of the pain and tensing up when trying to do it without drugs and then got to 10 centimeters immediately after getting the epidural, so I am open to that situation. Also, let's be real, I've never broken a bone before or anything so I have no idea what this pain is going to be like! I don't know what will happen so I am mostly trying to keep an open mind and to be flexible with my "birth plan" depending on what happens.

Okay so that's where I am coming from, here are my reviews:

Lying-In: A History of Childbirth in America" by Richard W. Wertz and Dorothy C. Wertz
This book was NOT an easy read. It was written in 1977 and is pretty much a history book, but it was really informative. I have always wondered how we got to the present level of medical intervention in childbirth here in America. I refuse to believe that it is just because of "evil" doctors who risk the health and safety of mother and baby for their own convenience. This book really explained the process of childbirth moving from the home with midwives to hospitals in a cultural context. Although it leaned to support less intervention in a normal birth, it also didn't depict doctors as villains. Instead, it explained how hospitals became very popular with both women and doctors. First there was the fear of death in childbirth, then the fear of pain, and now that neither of those are as much of a concern there is the fear of unnecessary intervention. Very interesting, but like I said, not an easy read.

Childbirth without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth by Grantly Dick-Read
I just went to Amazon to cut and paste the title of this book and I saw that there is a new version of this book with Ina May gaskin! I just read the old version.
I was a little skeptical of this book because the title makes it sound like it was going to be one of those books that talk about childbirth being "orgasmic" and wonderful and easy. I was pleasantly surprised that I learned a lot from this book! This book was very old (50s?) so some of the information was outdated. But I love how the author explains that pain in childbirth is worsened by fear and being tense. This totally makes sense to me because as I said earlier I have friends who tried to go drug-free but they both explained that the pain made them tense up and they stopped dilating. It is a little anti-doctor, but at the time it was written a lot of awful interventions (routine forceps delivery, drugging women against their will, etc.) were still practiced routinely. I am actually going to take some quotes from this book to look over when I go into labor to hopefully help me to relax.

I am excited to finish the rest of these books and go back to get some more. I am loving maternity leave!

imag2618.jpg

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Pupp! Yay! It sounds like something is definitely brewing!!!! Aw I know it must be really hard to leave your kids but it sounds like it might be time! Hoping everything goes well!

Moxie.Moo Sorry about the GD. I passed my tests but my sister was diagnosed with it. She had a twins pregnancy though and either high or low amniotic fluid (can't remember which one) so she had to do frequent NSTs anyway. She also felt that the monitoring she received as a result of the GD diagnosis was overkill because all of her finger pricks were normal range and I don't think she even required medication. What about getting a second opinion? Wish I could be of more help!

Fisher Love the bag! I am obsessed with all the pockets, they really will come in handy! I love that you can get into the main compartment with the zipper. It looks like you found a good one, cute too!

TG I am just now getting little zingers in the cervix every now and then. I'm sure your doctor is going to tell you it's normal in pregnancy. I stopped mentioning any aches and pains I get because it seems anything uncomfortable is "normal" and they never give you anything to do about it! Ah well. Can you tell if your baby is head down or not? Do you think you are getting kicked? Maybe try and get on all fours and see if you can move the baby a little? Could be pressing on a nerve too. My kiddo is head down so I know it's not a foot but it does kind of feel like a little baby fist. She is facing forward I think it is possible that she is hitting me. BTW, you look fantastic in your hiking picture! Such a cute bump! I don't think DH would have the patience to hike with me. He's a fast walker (I am too, normally) and just getting around Target with me in tow is driving him crazy!

PaveLover Thanks for checking in. I'm feeling great actually. No pains or anything, just the braxton hicks and cramping at night. But since I'm not really progressing I think I am just going to be grateful that I feel good still and am not in a rush to have the baby (although I am so excited to meet her). So how are you feeling? I can't believe only six more weeks for you!

LuvThem Haha I was scrolling through the posts and the words "FELL. OUT." popped out at me from yours. I was like "what? did the baby fall out?" Had to do a quick double take there! I can't believe you worked until your DD! I was lazy and went on mat. leave 2 weeks ago and I have 2 weeks left! Now that we are ready for the baby I am starting to get bored. Is your pain down there because the baby dropped or is it the pubic symphosis or whatever (I'm pretty sure I just made that term up, close enough)? It sounds promising that the BH are picking up. I'm so excited for you!

JGator Yeah I think I'm going to do as you said and give them to the primary nurse. Maybe I'll put a sticker on the box that says "from that really awesome couple in room 238a, treat them well!" haha! Thanks for checking in on us!

Curly Yeah I think it would be awesome for you DH to grab some food for the nurses outside of the hospital. I was listening to a podcast and this L&D nurse was talking about the gifts that they get. She said they get all kinds of things like giftcards, but they love food because they are usually too busy to eat when they are working. That works for me because I have no idea how many nurses I will be thanking. Food is so easy. Thanks for calling me a planner! I really am not this organized usually, I don't knwo what's gotten into me but I just want to do what I can do now to make sure everything goes well (or as well as possible) so that I don't have to stress when it's time. How's the carpal tunnel? I have the snoogle too and have you tried sleeping without it for a night? The downside of the snoogle is that it kind of sticks you in one position and you have to figure out what to do with your arms. I was waking up stiff and sore a while back and went a few nights without the snoogle and it went away. Then I went back to the snoogle and haven't had a problem since, so I'm not really sure what happened.

Miscka Haha I love your nesting obsessions! Unfortunately I ran out of things to get my nest on for baby, so all I have left to do are organization projects around the house (boring!). Yeah I decided to just not worry about the dust because I love peeking in at the furnished nursery with everything the way it will be when she comes. Hopefully it helps her immune system or something!

AFM, 38 weeks tomorrow. 1 cm dilated, cervix still high but soft, baby's head high too. BH all day, all night, just to annoy me I guess! My doc changed her prediction from 39 weeks to 39-40 weeks. I think she's being generous. The good news is she always talks about how she just loves 39 weeks and how it's the best time to go in labor so I was a little worried that she was going to push for an induction, but I finally asked her and she said she doesn't usually induce until at least 41 and a half weeks! So I am glad that we have lots of time and hopefully things will happen on their own. I am just going to try and not think about it and plan for 42 weeks. My doc is out of town next week and my MIL doesn't come to help us until the following Tuesday so ideally the baby will wait until then anyway. I am just so excited, but I feel good so I can't complain.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results