Rough_Rock
Hi guys.

So .... I have a stone I like.
GIA 2136284273 1.08ct
HCA 1.3

another dealer swears that his
GIA 2146045456 1.01ct
HCA 2.7

will win head over heels when compared side by side on the street in natural light.

Price is identical .... under 5K.

Looking to buy today so please help.

Thank you.

bizmord

Rough_Rock
bump .... nothing? :)

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert, but short of being able to see both stones together in person I'd pick the GIA 2136284273 1.08ct. It will appear much larger (.1-.2mm!) and I prefer stones with smaller tables.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, we were posting at the same time!

I generally do not choose stones without pictures because I think they are important, but by paper only, assuming they are equally eyeclean, I'd probably choose the 1.08 I. It has great numbers, is larger, and I like the strong blue fluorescence. I do usually prefer H color, but the other wins on the basis of having the most in it's favor.

bizmord

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1360780845|3379266 said:

I generally do not choose stones without pictures because I think they are important, but by paper only, assuming they are equally eyeclean, I'd probably choose the 1.08 I. It has great numbers, is larger, and I like the strong blue fluorescence. I do usually prefer H color, but the other wins on the basis of having the most in it's favor.

So this other guy telling me that his 1.01 color H stone will outshine and look much better than the 1.08 color I is B.S.? especially just on the street without the pro lamps.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
In all honesty, it's impossible for any of us to know. We rely on pictures, ASET images and other quantitative indicators of performance to judge how a stone will perform in the real world without the benefit of actually laying eyes on it. Without those tools, our opinions are just opinions, not concrete data-driven decisions.

If you can get more information, we can provide more feedback, otherwise we're just going on the GIA reports and personal preferences.

Sorry, I know this is a tough decision and an important purchase. I recommended the 1.08 for the following reasons:

1. it will face up significantly larger for the same price than the 1.01 based on the measurements in the GIA report
2. it looks TO ME like the inclusions MAY be less obvious in the 1.08 than in the 1.01
3. I PREFER the look and performance of diamonds with a small table. the 1.08 has a smaller table than the 1.01
4. In my OPINION, the 1.01 is deep, and personally I wouldn't want to pay for weight that I can't see.
5. I too think SBF is cool.

That's really all you can say from the GIA reports. Can you have both stones sent somewhere and have someone skilled and impartial look at them? Shy of that or ASET data, we really can't help you much.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
bizmord|1360781405|3379272 said:
diamondseeker2006|1360780845|3379266 said:

So this other guy telling me that his 1.01 color H stone will outshine and look much better than the 1.08 color I is B.S.? especially just on the street without the pro lamps.

Yes. He just hasn't seen your 1.08! That's also my pick. ok...that may be premature, but can you get an idealscope image? The HCA score on this stone assumes that it's a high performing stone...

bizmord

Rough_Rock
thoughts on this??? dmnd.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!!

(And of course the guy is doing a sales pitch!)

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Both of them have promising numbers.

The Ideal-Scope image you posted is a strong one. It looks like it was taken in a portable setup; the diamond is slightly tilted towards 9:00 in the photo, which accounts for the under-table leakage (minor as it stands) and darker secondary obstruction over the arrowheads in the bezels on the left side of the stone. If it was perfectly level I expect we'd see no leakage. Nice.

The most obvious question for me is how eye-clean the SI1 is in each of these. I presume that has been asked-and-answered.
* The grade-setting inclusions in the 1.08 are twinning wisps. I'd ask about them, specifically.
* In the 1.01 the grade-setter is one of the under-table crystals. Ask whether they are transparent or dark.

I agree that the diameter on the 1.08 will cause it to look bigger. It's a nice 1ct size with strong basic numbers.

The table/crown-angle combinations make for similar crown height - possibly identical - on both. There may not be much difference in their look or performance, but that depends on details of cut-precision, CA averaging/rounding and indexing, none of which is present on the reports.

RE SBF: It's very important to ask the seller whether the strong blue fluorescence gives the diamond any kind of hazy appearance in normal daylight. If it has no effect on transparency it could be something you and the wearer like (personal taste). Do be aware that you may see some of the effects of SBF in sunlight, often enhanced blues/purples in performance. And if you take your lady to a nightclub with UV black lights the diamond will positively glow with light blue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results