shape
carat
color
clarity

Too Many Choices....halp!

sloths

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers! My boyfriend and I went and looked at some rings over the weekend. We do not want to buy at a B&M, but I really wanted to see what I'd think about the carat sizes and halos... have some concerns with my big fingers (I wear an 8!)

This was my favorite at one store:

The diamond was loose so it was just "resting" on the setting.. I know it's not in there correctly.

http://i.imgur.com/iQKRoYwh.jpg

My boyfriend ninja'd a picture of the cert.

http://i.imgur.com/DZWNw4Hh.jpg

Granted, the price at this store came into budget, but with a stone that was a bit too small for what I thought it was worth.

I've been looking around a lot online and I'm having a hard time narrowing down the setting and the diamond.

I know I like cushion halos with the pave on the band. I also like when the corners are cut, like in the picture I linked. What I haven't decided on is if I want a round diamond or a princess cut. I know that princess cut diamonds are a bit cheaper, but they don't look as large as the round, so it seems to even that out.

I think I'd like an ideal / excellent cut, G-I in color, SI1 (eyeclean) and somewhere between .85-1ct. I'm also ok with fluorescence. I think It's kinda cool. :tongue:

Our budget is mildly flexible, but my boyfriend says he'd like to stay around $5500 total. Thank you in advance!! :appl:

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
sloths|1360636413|3377995 said:
Hi PSers! My boyfriend and I went and looked at some rings over the weekend. We do not want to buy at a B&M, but I really wanted to see what I'd think about the carat sizes and halos... have some concerns with my big fingers (I wear an 8!)

This was my favorite at one store:

The diamond was loose so it was just "resting" on the setting.. I know it's not in there correctly.

http://i.imgur.com/iQKRoYwh.jpg

My boyfriend ninja'd a picture of the cert.

http://i.imgur.com/DZWNw4Hh.jpg

Granted, the price at this store came into budget, but with a stone that was a bit too small for what I thought it was worth.

I've been looking around a lot online and I'm having a hard time narrowing down the setting and the diamond.

I know I like cushion halos with the pave on the band. I also like when the corners are cut, like in the picture I linked. What I haven't decided on is if I want a round diamond or a princess cut. I know that princess cut diamonds are a bit cheaper, but they don't look as large as the round, so it seems to even that out.

I think I'd like an ideal / excellent cut, G-I in color, SI1 (eyeclean) and somewhere between .85-1ct. I'm also ok with fluorescence. I think It's kinda cool. :tongue:

Our budget is mildly flexible, but my boyfriend says he'd like to stay around $5500 total. Thank you in advance!! :appl:

Can you get the biggest stone for your budget now and then upgrade the setting later? And I would scratch the "ideal/excellent" cut request because as you can see from the certificate you posted, that stone you like was rated a "Good" cut, which is typical with fancy cut stones. A "Good" cut with fancy cut stone may and sometimes does look better than an "ideal/excellent" cut fancy shape.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is just a thought, And might not be your cup of tea, but if you like squared off corners, and you have a larger finger( but still not large!, more like average sized :D ), i have a thought.
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/engagement-rings/halo/18k-white-gold-pave-halo-engagement-ring-emerald-center-item-7915
(only have them do it with the setting that goes all the way down the band, maybe with some millgraining)
like this but turn sideways

pop a 1 ct emerald in there its finger coverage galore!
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.00-carat-H-color-VVS1-clarity-sku-166101

sloths

Rough_Rock
nielseel: I'm sorry if I was unclear, I was specifically meaning the halo setting, not the stone itself. Although what you linked is very lovely. :appl:

04diamond<3 : That is a really good idea. I hadn't thought about that since everyone on the board talks cut cut cut! The only advice I've seen regarding a princess is that the table should be smaller than the depth.. and even then I don't know if that's diamond 101. I still have much to learn. :oops: I mentioned to my boyfriend that maybe a halo, but without the pave on the side.. that would probably bring the cost down a bit.

sloths

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1360637976|3378020 said:
So this is just a thought, And might not be your cup of tea, but if you like squared off corners, and you have a larger finger( but still not large!, more like average sized :D ), i have a thought.
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/engagement-rings/halo/18k-white-gold-pave-halo-engagement-ring-emerald-center-item-7915
(only have them do it with the setting that goes all the way down the band, maybe with some millgraining)

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.00-carat-H-color-VVS1-clarity-sku-166101

I don't really like the faceting on emerald cuts... I do appreciate the creativity on your part though. Maybe if I can get the nerve to go to another jewelry store I'll try one on :???:

Did I mention that I absolutely love that Ritani band? Gorgeous :love: :love:

I'm trying to remember how much the band was that I linked. I know that all together it came up around $6000, but surprise... she remembered to tell me that they had $500 off when I told them we were just looking. 8-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sloths

Rough_Rock
I LOVE the elongated princess, and I adore Beverly K settings. I was just looking at some of her designs about 2 hrs ago.

I really want to like the James Allen setting but since it's a render, it looks a bit "off", so I'll dig around to see how they've come out. I also don't know how I feel about the way asscher cuts look. I like the shape, but not the facets so much... however, the halo might make it look a bit different. I promise I'm not trying to be difficult.. I know I've asked a lot. You ladies have been fantastic. :appl: :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sloths|1360640911|3378068 said:
I LOVE the elongated princess, and I adore Beverly K settings. I was just looking at some of her designs about 2 hrs ago.

I really want to like the James Allen setting but since it's a render, it looks a bit "off", so I'll dig around to see how they've come out. I also don't know how I feel about the way asscher cuts look. I like the shape, but not the facets so much... however, the halo might make it look a bit different. I promise I'm not trying to be difficult.. I know I've asked a lot. You ladies have been fantastic. :appl: :appl:
You dont have to love asshers, some do some dont, i tbink julie was just suggesting that setting with the radient she posted. You might not have to put an assher in it. But in terms of quality id rather have a Bev k than a james allen setting, so if you like it shoot them an email say your a pser amd see what the best price is they could give you on that stone setting combo. Probably will take a few days though because of the blizzard they had.

had.i love that bev k. You could pair such a nice engraved w ring with it

sloths

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1360637976|3378020 said:

Hey Nielseel, I had a question about millegraining. I can ask a jeweler to add that to the setting? Is that a service James Allen could even do? Annnnd any idea what something like that would cost? I definitely noticed that every single setting that I love involves the pave diamonds in a halo with millegraining.

JulieN, I also like that Blue Nile setting.

My head is swimming in diamonds and settings. Soooo overwhelmed! :o

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, if you went with bev k i think anything that can be millgrained is lol
and as for JA they will millgrain the side of that type of setting for free. At least, the last few people who had them do it they've done it free of charge.

And thats good. You are on the right track, you know you want a halo with pave down the side, and you know what shape of the halo you like, and you know you want millgraining. Seems like your pretty sure you know what you are looking for :))

sloths

Rough_Rock
Well yeah Bev K ..everything is like that lol :cheeky: But nowwww I have to decide on a diamond. I like anything that's square or square-ish. Any experience with seeing smaller carat weight cushions in person? All of the ones I saw looked super rectangular and narrow and just teeny... but the pictures online are so beautiful!! That lead me to scrap my love of cushions and look at princess ... but the cushions on here look so much more balanced cut wise. :?: Now I'm just rambling...

My ranking of cuts i like:

1. cushion
2. radiant
3. princess
4. round
5. pear
6. asscher (except the Octavia :love: :love: )

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
personally I dont like cushions under a ct. they just seem so small.

Now i know i said this one before and you shot me down ( :cry: ill get over it haha) but based on the fact you like radients and princesses, i have to suggest this one again, like a mix between
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9986/

Or, is it that you like the more faceted look

sloths

Rough_Rock
Noooo I loveeeeee it. It's just a little small! It's absolutely gorgeous. Seriously! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Oops, I thought that was the one that said .72 Nevermind. :tongue: I like that one quite a bit! **sends to boyfriend**

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sloths|1360725881|3378870 said:
Noooo I loveeeeee it. It's just a little small! It's absolutely gorgeous. Seriously! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Oops, I thought that was the one that said .72 Nevermind. :tongue: I like that one quite a bit! **sends to boyfriend**

haha good those are just beautiful stones. in that beverly k... oh im already jealous of you just for the idea of it :lol:

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

sloths

Rough_Rock
04diamond<3 : Heh, that stone is quite large, but I like the square cuts (ratio <1.05) and I don't think my boyfriend would like to spend that much and then also purchase the setting. :sick:

nielseel : I actually sent that diamond to my boyfriend last night and I said I ****really***** liked it. I told him to bookmark it. :love:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JA has mentioned that the Lucida-style radiants can be a bit dead in the center.

I think the princess style, with chevroned pavilion, is the best.

So is your stone budget over 5000 now? I wouldn't worry too much about size, when you will halo it.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
sloths|1360779244|3379233 said:
04diamond<3 : Heh, that stone is quite large, but I don't think my boyfriend would like to spend that much and then also purchase the setting. :sick:

nielseel : I actually sent that diamond to my boyfriend last night and I said I ****really***** liked it. I told him to bookmark it. :love:

well, I also have bigger fingers and have a 6.5mm diamond and it IS small! I would suggest spending the money on the biggest diamond you can get and putting it in a simple temporary setting and then upgrading the setting later. Would you both be interested in this? There's a very big size difference between the one I showed you and the one you "bookmarked"....I'm only saying this because you keep mentioning that stones are small...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I Am rarely in the group that says get a soilitaire and upgrade later. You have a nice budget for a stone about a ct. Its not a 2ct but oh well, itll still be beautiful. And if you love a halo and a diamond shank i tbink you mkght be dissapointed with a simlle halo. A ring is about the whole look, and sounds like you have a pretty specific loo in mind. Personally id get that poh and that nice bev k setting, because i dont think the quality of the ja setting is up to par, and your paying the same if not more for the ja setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1360779498|3379239 said:
JA has mentioned that the Lucida-style radiants can be a bit dead in the center.

I think the princess style, with chevroned pavilion, is the best.

So is your stone budget over 5000 now? I wouldn't worry too much about size, when you will halo it.
Agree 100% dont go to far over budgrt sense you know your bf isnt comfortable with that. A halo will add lots of size.
And your fingers arent huge anyways!

sloths

Rough_Rock
My Ideal situation is a smaller, more beautiful stone in a lovely setting like Bev K. My concern is not that it will look small to ME necessarily, I just don't want my boyfriend to feel like he's putting in this investment for something that looks tiny and will have to be upgraded sooner than later because I care what other people think.

The link I posted earlier in the thread with that ring on my finger (knuckle since it's a sz 6 :lol: ).. I didn't think it was *too* small... and that was only a .72, and then plus the halo. Would I like something a larger? Yes, definitely.. but also because I couldn't possibly justify close to 6k for a store brand band with a .72ct E SI1 diamond... I didn't even ask to see a diamond in that color, the sales person just brought it out.

I am 23 years old and my boyfriend and I are in the middle class, so I think $5500 is good... but if it's something that would stretch the total to around 6k for a greater diamond and a lovely setting, that might be ok with him.

mercoledi: that ring is fabulous! I wish I could see it on a finger to judge the size, but for some reason my company is blocking the link of the other photos/video :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results