shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring type device that holds a stone for better viewing?

demantoid

Rough_Rock
I have noticed pictures on this site where the stones look like they are in a ring that holds them in place by tension. This looks like some kind of device that allows you to get a better idea of what a stone will look like when set. I would like to get one of these but I don't know where to begin looking or what it's called. Any input is appreciated.

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Me too, me too. I hope someone answers this great question! :appl:

demantoid

Rough_Rock
YES! That's it. Thank you so much! I think that will be much better than trying to hold a stone with tweezers to get a really good look.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please be very careful with these as they can chip stones.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The ring-style gem holder I have has a lot of tension and I stopped using it for fear of chipping the girdle of my stones. I've started using a 4-prong gem holder instead, and it's much more gentle. You can put it in between your fingers to simulate a ring. I don't know the source of the one I have, but this one is very similar and from a reputable company:

http://www.stuller.com/products/57-6350/?groupId=23902

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1360529183|3376864 said:
The ring-style gem holder I have has a lot of tension and I stopped using it for fear of chipping the girdle of my stones. I've started using a 4-prong gem holder instead, that I got from a vendor for free with gemstone, and it's much more gentle. You can put it in between your fingers to simulate a ring. I don't know the source of the one I have, but this one is very similar and from a reputable company:

http://www.stuller.com/products/57-6350/?groupId=23902

You can buy those on Ebay Preg. They can also chip gemstones so please do be careful.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LD.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There was me thinking those 'rings' were just mounts! :knockout:

I stopped using the holders that you push from the bottom for the same reason, those claws look nasty...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My ring holder must be unusual because it's actually quite gentle, and its much weaker than my ring-style holder. Barry sent it to me, but I don't know where he got it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 4 wire style from Stuller has less tension than the "ring style" holder but either way, both can chip stones. Please be very careful using these as I know a few PSers have chipped hardy stones like spinel using these. Your best bet is still the gem tweezer. For the best and safest viewing, place the stone on the back of your hand between your fingers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results