shape
carat
color
clarity

Do we have any PERFUME LOVERS on PS?

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Chloe {the original} was my signature scent for YEARS, and when the other two editions {Chloe and then Love Chloe} came out I rotated among the three and interspersed Jo Malone Honsysuckle that my son gave me for Mother's Day one year. I also had stockpiled lilac perfume oil from the Body Shop which so so true to life you would swear you were sitting in a garden of lilacs....but of course, they stopped manufacturing it and I finally ran out of my supply..................

{Obviously, I'm a flower girl--but not too flowery if you know what I mean}

Fast forward to last November, I got a catalog from Nieman Marcus with a perfume strip from Lalique Fleur de Cristal and I was hooked--the most GORGEOUS, SENSUAL, feminine fragrance...floral but not sickeningly sweet. I ADORE it and wear it daily. It has replaced Chloe as my go to. '

Unfortunatey, Mr.St. Clare has really bad sinus problems and can't smell anything. But I love it enough for both of us!

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
My Top 5

1) L'Air du desert Marocain
2) Tocade - I have been wearing this since I was 15 :)) My dad bought it for me at a duty free.
3) Eau Sauvage (men's)
4) Vetiver (men's)
5) Dior Homme (men's)

I also LOVE Fahrenheit but it is the one men's fragrance I can't wear.

I like smelling like my dad :)) which is hilarious because he was 6 feet tall and built like a linebacker and I am 5'2" and 110 pounds. :lol:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chanel No. 5 (the updated version) during the day and for business...

Creed - Love in Black for evening... I think this is the most intoxicating scnet!!! :naughty:

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea about the issues w/ The Perfumed Court. I didn't realize how long it's been since I've ordered anything from them. Thanks for the info Missy! It's good to see that things have gotten back on track, because they were my go to for samples.

Hmmm...listing my top 5 fragrances is tough because I tend to change up fragrances with whatever strikes my fancy. However, there are 3 fragrances that I have purchased full bottles of, multiple times:

- Chanel Cristalle EDT
- Hermes Hermessence Vanille Galante
- Annick Goutal Des Lys (it's now sadly discontinued)

I also LOVE:

- Frederic Malle L'Eau D'Hiver
- Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile EDP

All of the above could change at any moment though! I used to love D&G Light Blue, Lauren by Ralph Lauren (actually I still love that one), and Angel.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1360356169|3375531 said:
Has anyone tried any of the JAR fragrances?

Love fragrances!!!! I have a ton of samples, but am pretty picky when buying full bottles as I never go thru them. I do have a good size decant of Jar's Jarling. I was super excited to try this as it sounded wonderful, but it just doesn't work on me :(sad . It ends up smelling like soap :???: Can't believe I paid this much for soap!! LOL

My favorites for winter are Tom Ford's Noir de Noir, Le Labo's Vanille 44, and Ginestet's Botrytis. I also like some of the all natural perfumes and in honor of Valentine's Day coming up I'm wearing Ayala Moriel's Roses et Chocolate. All of these I decided were full bottle worthy. :D

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1360367100|3375660 said:
rosetta|1360356169|3375531 said:
Has anyone tried any of the JAR fragrances?

Love fragrances!!!! I have a ton of samples, but am pretty picky when buying full bottles as I never go thru them. I do have a good size decant of Jar's Jarling. I was super excited to try this as it sounded wonderful, but it just doesn't work on me :(sad . It ends up smelling like soap :???: Can't believe I paid this much for soap!! LOL

My favorites for winter are Tom Ford's Noir de Noir, Le Labo's Vanille 44, and Ginestet's Botrytis. I also like some of the all natural perfumes and in honor of Valentine's Day coming up I'm wearing Ayala Moriel's Roses et Chocolate. All of these I decided were full bottle worthy. :D

Oh no about Jarling! I really want to try this one still.

I too love vanille 44, I hear it's a Paris exclusive? I'd love to get my mitts on a bottle. Looks like I will have to give Noir de noir a sniff too.

Look at all these wonderful perfumistas coming out of the woodwork! I feel totally enabled :appl:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Even though Vanille 44 is a Paris exclusive you can usually buy it once (sometimes twice) a year in the US. You just have to watch the website for the few weeks they'll sell it here.

I go thru spurts of being on Basenotes Forum where I NEED to buy lots of perfumes-lol. When I have a cupboard full- I back off until my next obsession for more perfumes hits me. I still want to buy Guerlain's Gourmand Coquin and will probably break down and purchase when I get to Vegas in June and stop by the Guerlain boutique.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I don't really get the idea of a signature perfume... I wake and want one scent-- usually very fresh and "green", then when I get home in the afternoon I put on another-- usually something spicy and well, odd, or something to go out to dinner/date with, and then before I go to bed I apply again but with something comforting-- usually one of my vanillas.

Do you all apply several times a day with different perfumes? [or am I odd?] haha...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ms P|1360372560|3375729 said:
I don't really get the idea of a signature perfume... I wake and want one scent-- usually very fresh and "green", then when I get home in the afternoon I put on another-- usually something spicy and well, odd, or something to go out to dinner/date with, and then before I go to bed I apply again but with something comforting-- usually one of my vanillas.

Do you all apply several times a day with different perfumes? [or am I odd?] haha...

I'm with you MsP. At one time I wanted a "signature" scent...that is, I thought I did but in actuality I have many different moods and want the perfume that suits that mood at the time. My top faves are many but if I had to list them it would be (for now)

1. Tihota (TDF :love: )
2. Vanille 44
3. Vaniglia de Madagascar
4. Hermessence Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile (tie)
5. Smart

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Ms P I too wear several perfumes a day, it's not weird! I could never have a signature perfume especially when there are so many gorgeous scents out there.

Missy, I have never heard of smart (off to google...)

Edit: is that the Andrea Maack one?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1360373640|3375741 said:
Ms P I too wear several perfumes a day, it's not weird! I could never have a signature perfume especially when there are so many gorgeous scents out there.

Yes, I really like it! It's a change from all my usual scents and I think it is divine. It's spicy and warm and sexy IMO.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
missy|1360374441|3375750 said:

Yes, I really like it! It's a change from all my usual scents and I think it is divine. It's spicy and warm and sexy IMO.

I really must sleep now, so will take up the quest tomorrow!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock

I too have never heard of Andrea Maack Smart... I just looked over the notes and perused some descriptions. I don't think it's for me. How prominent is the powder? [the bottle is beautiful though!]

Has anyone ventured into fragrance oils...and making your own perfumes?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Ms P|1360413589|3375975 said:

I too have never heard of Andrea Maack Smart... I just looked over the notes and perused some descriptions. I don't think it's for me. How prominent is the powder? [the bottle is beautiful though!]

I wouldn't know where to start with oils. I'm going to my local perfume shop to check out Smart, am intrigued.

My new love is Amouage. Rich, complex and beautiful perfumes. Happily, I get to buy a couple in Dubai duty free next week *happy dance*

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ms P|1360413589|3375975 said:

I don't find the powder component at all on me. Each perfume really smells different on each individual depending on your chemistry. Sure there's a similarity but I find I can love one perfume on someone else but hate it on me if that makes sense.

I love perfume oils but never tried to make my own perfume. Let's see if I can remember what I like re perfume oils. Hmmm, off to check out my perfume collection and try to read the tiny bottle labels hahaha.

OK, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz makes some great perfume oils. I love her Ashram. I also have some white musk oils and various vanilla musk oils. I also love Ava Luxe perfume oils- vanilla musk and love's true bluish light. Delicious!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1360371366|3375716 said:
Even though Vanille 44 is a Paris exclusive you can usually buy it once (sometimes twice) a year in the US. You just have to watch the website for the few weeks they'll sell it here.

I go thru spurts of being on Basenotes Forum where I NEED to buy lots of perfumes-lol. When I have a cupboard full- I back off until my next obsession for more perfumes hits me. I still want to buy Guerlain's Gourmand Coquin and will probably break down and purchase when I get to Vegas in June and stop by the Guerlain boutique.

I bought a sample based on a PSers rec (I cannot remember who recommended this but thank you- it is yummy) and it is FB worthy! I haven't purchased a FB yet as I have more pressing (read jewelry!!!) purchases at the moment but plan to in the future. Hope you love it!!

lola_relli

Rough_Rock
I wear a couple of different scents, but right now it's Pomegranate Noir, by Jo Malone.
I also wear Nina, by Nina Ricci.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
missy|1360414486|3375984 said:

I bought a sample based on a PSers rec (I cannot remember who recommended this but thank you- it is yummy) and it is FB worthy! I haven't purchased a FB yet as I have more pressing (read jewelry!!!) purchases at the moment but plan to in the future. Hope you love it!!

I have 3 Guerlains on my To Buy list:

Bois d'armenie
Tonka Imperiale
Gourmand Coquin

All absolutely gorgeous and full bottle worthy IMHO.

(shh don't tell anyone but I prioritise perfume over jewellery :shock: )

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no expert or collector, but two very mainstream scents I've been into lately:
Guerlain's La Petite Robe Noir
Prada's Infusion d'Iris

Sidenote - I remember liking Chanel No.5 when I was younger.... Now it smells soapy! Weird how our tastes change even when it comes to scents.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever liked a perfume and have the formula get "updated" on you?

I :love: how Hypnotic Poison smelled on me when I bought it in 2000. Then I starting perusing fragrantica, and noticed all these comments about how it smelled like root beer, and complaints about the reformulation. I thought to myself - it can't have changed THAT much if they're still marketing the reformulation as the same product. Well, I wandered into a Sephora, spritzed some on me, and indeed, it smelled like root beer! And very alcohol-y.

I still have a good amount of my 2000 vintage Hypnotic Poison in my parents' house - it's safe in a powder room with no windows/sunlight. :cheeky: It smells like how I wish most vanilla-y perfumes smell - probably the almond enhancement. It's so full bodied and creamy and vanilla-almondy without being saccharine on me. It was my "going out at night" or "college formal" or "I'm baiting a man" scent in college and my 20s. :naughty:

I do rotate scents based on mood/color I'm wearing that day, and season.
Burberry brit sheer - warmer seasons

Burberry London - colder temps - DH and I drink green tea like it's our duty in life, and love the jasmine note. The woody/musky note draws me to this scent esp. when I'm wearing a thick or cowlneck or turtleneck sweater.

Be delicious (the green apple one) - all seasons - snicker... when I started my current job, I had a young man showing me the ropes. I was sitting next to him one day, and he said, "Woa... I keep getting a whiff of golden grahams every so often." I lol when I realized it was me! Nice to know I smell like cereal to him! Another night I wore this perfume, I met DH's bandmate's girlfriend. She leaned in for a kiss hello, and exclaimed, "What are you wearing? You smell delicious!" to which I promptly replied, "Delicious!" :naughty:

Viva la Juicy - love the praline! I feel like I'm sweet, but not overly sweet and a little vanilla-y and creamy from the praline.

I will probably never buy the same perfume twice - each one that I have (majority at my parents') represents a point of time in my life. I still like the scents, but I'm not the same PintoBean anymore, so I wouldn't gravitate to buying them again.

Acqua di Gio - high school purchase based on a friend's recommendation that it reminded her of "cucumber"? It's light and refreshing - very 90s

Alfred Sung Pure - (that was actually an exception to the rule - broke the original bottle by dropping the bottle on its head and couldn't spray any more out. Found a replacement a few years ago on Amazon.com for a good price!). It's just so clean and neutral.

Lancome Aroma Calm - it doesn't make me feel calm, but if I'm wearing purple, i will pick up this purple bottle and spritz some on!

Hanae Mori - blue butterfly - kinda creamy, but what I don't like is that it's kinda zingy/tangy - strawberry on me. Not one I gravitate to readily...

Charlie white - college chum wore it, and I really liked it on her. You know how perfumes smell differently on everyone? This seems to smell just like the bottle on everyone. Maybe b/c it can be found for cheap, young ladies seem to bathe in this stuff, and its scent is distinct enough to be distinguished in a crowd - lol!

(Long post - snowed in...) :devil:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Ah yes. Perfume really is very evocative of a certain place and time, isnt it? I enjoyed reading about your perfume journey a lot Pinto bean!

Anyone else want to share their stories?

Oh, and I got my top five scents (in no particular order)

M Micallef Note Vanillee
Bvlgari Black
Andy Tauer Pentachord Auburn
Profumum Roma Acqua e Zucchero
Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

So many amazing perfumes didn't make the list, I felt v v cruel excluding them ;(

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1360452451|3376362 said:
Bvlgari Black

I can't believe I left that one off my list... it's one of my favorites too! Men seem to notice it.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I am a huge fan of Frederic Malle.
L'eau D'hiver- purchased on my honeymoon in Paris. It's my go to fragrance for winter. Its a soft powdery floral mixed with honey, caramel, and musk.

Iris Poudre- soft velvety floral with a darker dry down. It reminds me of wearing a cashmere sweater on a cold day.

Lipstick rose- fun flirty fragrance that smells exactly like playing with your moms makeup when you were little

Music ravageur- spicy, sexy, dirty musk

Carnal Flower- beautiful tuberose fragrance

I just received this for valentines day.

Natori- warm oriental with a burst of aldehydes, amber and jasmine melting into a soft musk. Reminds me of silky soft pjs

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh I feel so "muggley". I love perfumes too, but I'm an Ulta kind of girl, so all these high end scents are over my head (and probably my pocketbook too!).

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
ecf8503|1360514455|3376720 said:
Gosh I feel so "muggley". I love perfumes too, but I'm an Ulta kind of girl, so all these high end scents are over my head (and probably my pocketbook too!).

Heh heh, we all started somewhere! It IS kinda expensive when you get into it though....But it's a lot of fun (and way cheaper than buying your next diamond!)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Hospatogi|1360481479|3376576 said:
L'eau D'hiver- purchased on my honeymoon in Paris. It's my go to fragrance for winter. Its a soft powdery floral mixed with honey, caramel, and musk.

Iris Poudre- soft velvety floral with a darker dry down. It reminds me of wearing a cashmere sweater on a cold day.

Lipstick rose- fun flirty fragrance that smells exactly like playing with your moms makeup when you were little

Natori- warm oriental with a burst of aldehydes, amber and jasmine melting into a soft musk. Reminds me of silky soft pjs

Well, carnal flower and musc ravageur are on by To Buy list. Now it looks like I'll have to try out the others. You enabler you! :sun:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the wonderful advice - I now have many samples coming my way! I'm so excited! I'm trying white florals sampler, the magnolia sampler (all time favorite flower), rose sampler (reminds me of my dear grandmother who passed away this December) and the beginning gentleman's sampler for my hubby (and maybe me!). 23 samples coming my way. I'm so excited! It'll probably take me ages to work through them but I'm inspired to get started. Thank you for this thread, Rosetta!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1360543724|3377019 said:
Hospatogi|1360481479|3376576 said:

Well, carnal flower and musc ravageur are on by To Buy list. Now it looks like I'll have to try out the others. You enabler you! :sun:
I am sure you will love them! Frederic Malle offers samples at reasonable prices if you want to try it before purchasing a full bottle.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
missy|1360414486|3375984 said:

Missy- I'm pretty sure it was ME on the other thread that recommended it!! I just haven't gotten my full bottle,yet. Hmmm... wonder if hubby still needs a Valentine's Day present?? :naughty:

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Me too I love it :naughty: Rosetta do I remember you from POL?

Nina

ETA ashamed to admit I have over 200 bottles

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results