carat
color
clarity

Looking for Opinions

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1360254910|3374443 said:
bastetcat|1360253495|3374423 said:
Here's an old Jabel ring mount for a 1/2 ct stone with best offer option. That might free up a few extra dollars:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Kt-White-Gold-Diamond-Solitaire-Round-Mount-Ring-Engagement-50-CT-NEW-/271152078582?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3f21ec5ef6
Oh if she likes yellow gold thats a good idea. Polish it up it would look like new. And a lot prettier than some of the standard cheap settings from the vendors, then youcould get a nice .5 ct I i bet

It's acutallly white gold, at least that's what the description says, but sometimes it's hard to get correct metal coloration in a pic, especially if you aren't trying really hard as I suspect was the case. :) Jabel is/was (?) a very respected brand. They do die struck pieces like Van Craeynest, or used to. I don't know if they are still around.

Even with a stone a little under 1/2 c (1/2 is about 5mm) this type of setting will work as there's generally some leeway over or under for the stone size.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
This one from BN has VSBF. It's a risk as it scores exactly a 2 on the HCA hopefully some of the others will chime in on the cut since BN doesn't provide idealscope images or ASET. http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=NavDiaSea#diamonds_pid=LD03051843

Stock number: LD03051843
Price: $916
Bank wire price: $903
Price per carat: $1,728
Carat weight: 0.53
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: SI2
Depth %: 61.2%
Table %: 57%
PA: 41.2
CA: 33
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Slightly Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Very Strong
Measurements: 5.22 x 5.25 x 3.20 mm

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
mercoledi|1360256162|3374460 said:
This one from BN has VSBF. It's a risk as it scores exactly a 2 on the HCA hopefully some of the others will chime in on the cut since BN doesn't provide idealscope images or ASET. http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=NavDiaSea#diamonds_pid=LD03051843

I'd have to defer to someone else on the angles. But being unable to see the stone before purchase, a J, and SI2, and SBF I'd be leery of it since there's no one to confirm eyeclean and SBF effects and what end of the "J" spectrum it falls in.

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
The HCA tool is really interesting to me. I will have to research on that a little more. The last diamond I posted was a 1.2 btw. The diamond was off James Allen. Here is a link: http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-...F-color-VVS2-clarity-Excellent-cut-sku-185662

I never thought about buying the setting off ebay. The one posted in this thread did look nice for the money, after cleaning it up a bit.

If I buy the setting and the diamond separately, do I have to worry about a jeweler trying to do a "switcheroo" for a different diamond like many people warn against? I would think I could trust some of the local jewelers...

Other than that, thanks for all of the suggestions everyone is offering! I have learned quite a bit more about diamonds since I started this thread than I have researching on my own.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
bastetcat|1360258806|3374490 said:
mercoledi|1360256162|3374460 said:

I'd have to defer to someone else on the angles. But being unable to see the stone before purchase, a J, and SI2, and SBF I'd be leery of it since there's no one to confirm eyeclean and SBF effects and what end of the "J" spectrum it falls in.
I agree with bastetcat's comments. Since BN does not provide pictures of the diamond, I wouldn't buy anything lower than VS1 clarity (if I HAD to buy from BN for some reason).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also would not buy from Blue Nile or any vendor that doesn't provide a picture and idealscope image.

I am going to repeat my recommendation for this stone because I think G VS2 (Ideal cut) will meet your color and clarity requirements and it is under the .50 mark that carries a huge price increase. Plus they will upgrade for any amount above the price of this one. You don't have to spend double.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2728037.htm

I do recommend having the stone set by the diamond seller, however. Even though you may find a cheaper setting elsewhere, you will be charged a setting fee. Plus, the diamond vendor would take responsibility if stone or setting was damaged during setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1360286342|3374866 said:
I also would not buy from Blue Nile or any vendor that doesn't provide a picture and idealscope image.

I am going to repeat my recommendation for this stone because I think G VS2 (Ideal cut) will meet your color and clarity requirements and it is under the .50 mark that carries a huge price increase. Plus they will upgrade for any amount above the price of this one. You don't have to spend double.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2728037.htm

I do recommend having the stone set by the diamond seller, however. Even though you may find a cheaper setting elsewhere, you will be charged a setting fee. Plus, the diamond vendor would take responsibility if stone or setting was damaged during setting.

Its a beautiful stone but im reluctant to agree only because the basic setting at whiteflash is 350, and frankly i find it unattractive.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so i know there is no picture or cert, BUT if you contact ID Jewelry they will give you idealscopes and certs and anything you need to make a good decision.
call them and tell them you are a PS'er and have a budget of 1200, see what they can do.
this could be a good one

this one is cute
i like this classic one too

i dont know there upgrade policy though

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1360291261|3374915 said:
so i know there is no picture or cert, BUT if you contact ID Jewelry they will give you idealscopes and certs and anything you need to make a good decision.
call them and tell them you are a PS'er and have a budget of 1200, see what they can do.
this could be a good one

this one is cute

Very nice, a little more spendy though. I looked on ebay and I found this Pompeii3 company. Below is a link to an interesting setting, but feel free to give your opinion on some of the other cheap ones they have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4CT-Round...mond_Solitaire_Rings&var=&hash=item90601ec235

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spendy?ejther of those settings plus stone are under 1100 plus they say for " best price" to call so i think it would even be less
jid is great with a budget

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
There is also PSPreloved Jewels under the Pricescope Cafe tab or Loupetroop.com Good luck :wavey: You have been given a lot of great suggestions. Are you shooting for Valentine's Day?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
OvertakenUndertaker|1360303303|3375012 said:
nielseel|1360291261|3374915 said:
this could be a good one

this one is cute

Very nice, a little more spendy though. I looked on ebay and I found this Pompeii3 company. Below is a link to an interesting setting, but feel free to give your opinion on some of the other cheap ones they have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4CT-Round...mond_Solitaire_Rings&var=&hash=item90601ec235

The melee stones are I1 (at best) and I have a really strong feeling that means dull and cloudy or so darkly peppered it won't look good. If it were me, I'd prefer a plain shank solitaire to one with really bad diamonds that don't sparkle.

I second ID Jewelry as a possibility. They do some awesome work for people on with a tight budget (and without).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results