shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen or American Set for a temp. setting?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I've decided to put my diamond into a temporary setting for now, while I decide if I want to upgrade (and if it's even financially feasible) or keep this diamond and decide once and for all what setting it needs to live in permanently. Right now my diamond is loose, and I'd really like to wear it!

I would like a temporary solitaire setting, 2mm wide, 6 prong, preferably platinum to go with my plain band, but if it's a temp. setting, I'm thinking 14k white gold. The only problem is, sometimes 14k white gold can cause irritation on my finger. 18k I'm usually ok with, but my skin yellows it FAST and I find that annoying. I'd be keeping this setting at least 12 months, and probably longer. Basically, I want to set my diamond and not think about upgrading or finding *the* setting for a while.

Anyway, both American Set and James Allen have nice solitaires however I haven't had either one set a diamond, or shipped a diamond to them. I'd rather AS or JA set my diamond as opposed to the hassle of having a local jeweler set it.

I'm considering these two settings:

1) http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/Engagement-Rings/Solitaire/Platinum-2mm-Knife-Edge-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-Six-Prong-item-7989 (I would prefer non knife edge but it doesn't seem that JA has an inexpensive non knife edge 6 prong?)

1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/221160013930?var=520126264371&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

For reference, my diamond is a .80 carat round. Also, does anyone know approximately how much either charge to set a diamond?

Thanks so much! :))

set17192w_rnd_tab_140x102.jpg

american_set.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know where you live, but almost every fine jeweler is going to carry or be able to order solitaire settings similar to those. They are extremely common and there is no way I'd send my diamond to JA to set unless I bought the diamond from them and they already had the diamond. You are going to way overpay for something you can easily get locally!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1359249982|3364418 said:
I don't know where you live, but almost every fine jeweler is going to carry or be able to order solitaire settings similar to those. They are extremely common and there is no way I'd send my diamond to JA to set unless I bought the diamond from them and they already had the diamond. You are going to way overpay for something you can easily get locally!

DS06- I looked locally these week, hence why I'm now looking online. The jewelers in my area wanted $350 for a 14k white gold setting plus a setting fee. Platinum was $895+ depending on the jeweler!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But if this is a temp setting, why would you pay for platinum? Or do you think you will keep the setting long term?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I just looked back to see what setting it was in and that one looked great! I am curious, too, what happened to it?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1359251473|3364449 said:
Yes, I just looked back to see what setting it was in and that one looked great! I am curious, too, what happened to it?

Thanks Laila and DS06! I didn't consider BGD or WF because I assumed for the less expensive settings a diamond had to be purchased from them? Years ago I had inquired on that setting from WF for a princess cut diamond and was told that I would have to buy a diamond from WF because the setting was inexpensive. Maybe their policy has changed?

The 4 prong setting was beautiful but I had to replate it every 3 months. Not like, I saw a hint of yellow and had it replated, but it was turning yellow everywhere my fingers rubbed the setting. I just got tired of it! And I learned that for a round, I prefer 6 prongs. I resold it to the jeweler and recouped most of my money.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then you could have a problem with another wg setting. It sounds like you'd do better with platinum, but that is an expensive temp ring!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1359253846|3364498 said:
Then you could have a problem with another wg setting. It sounds like you'd do better with platinum, but that is an expensive temp ring!

Right. So back to my original question, has anyone used James Allen or American Set and had their stone set with them?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered the amcor/poppyseed seller? I bought a second hand ring with the setting and it is lovely - I was pleasantly surprised. Mine is only 4 prong though.
http://diamondbistro.com/~diamond/index.php?a=2&b=33271

I haven't set with them but I am usually charged around $50 to $80.

Also, try eBay for second hand platinum rings .. that could fall within your budget.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results