shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for opinions on a few pieces, suggestions

wbcn

Rough_Rock
Hi all. New poster here, recently engaged to a girl who worked in the jewelry business for nine years, with some high standards & a desire for her future hubby to get a good deal :)

Looks like we're competing with these guys :) - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-hunt-for-a-big-oec-is-taking-us-to-the-us.183978/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-hunt-for-a-big-oec-is-taking-us-to-the-us.183978/[/URL] - with pretty much the same budget and specs, and some of the same dealers on our list in LA & NYC.

I'm impressed with the info. abounding on these forums and am wondering if anyone has looked at a couple of pieces that seem priced a bit too good to be true:

#1: 3.20 ct. K-M VS1 currently set in a pendant. Fiancee thinks it's probably too shallow for a ring, given the way it's set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-3-20-ct-Old-European-Cut-Vintage-Diamond-Pendant-/251122755573?pt=US_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants&hash=item3a781527f5

#2: 5.19 ct. L VS1 , no certificate.
http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/antique-5.19ct-diamond-platinum-engagement-ring/19443/3/item

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Stone 1's depth is 64.4%, too deep for a MRB, but not for an OEC. If it's shallow for an OEC, it's not all that shallow.

Second ring is gorgeous, but those photos must be really "doctored" because the diamond looks very white, but they're saying it's an L.

I like both, but I'm not an expert. Looking forward to hearing what those who know have to say.

liz

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I am absolutely positive that a PSer (or two?) bought that first stone, in the pendant, and returned it. But for the life of me, I can't remember why. I hope someone else who remembers it properly sees this post and can help out.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
And I just looked at the second one - notice there are no head-on photos of the faceting. I suspect the culet is extremely large, perhaps off-center, and the faceting is unattractive. I can think of no other reason a stone of that size would be that price.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw the first one IRL when I went on a trip this past summer. Apologies for the horrible quality-- the photos were taken from my iPhone. You can't even see the patterning in my photos :rolleyes:

img_1570.jpg
img_1564.jpg

My ring finger is a size ~8 for reference.

It's flipping huge in that setting, but it isn't shallow. It's def not deep, either. It doesn't have a lollipop-crown like the older OECs, so it's more tranny. That's why it isn't as deep as other older OECs. But I actually prefer it that way, since I like a visual size in width dimension anyway. I rather love that patterning it has, and am so sad I found it way after I bought my stone. The price is just too good, IMO, and SO got quite upset we didn't purchase it, too, for the $$$ saved. Haha, I told him to be quite, since he was the one who wouldn't let me buy off eBay!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can also negotiate price with H. Moradi, as well.. which can potentially bring your cost down even more. Ask if you can just buy the stone, since you're resetting it anyway?

wbcn

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all! The search continues...

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
you'll find there a few of us here looking for similar stuff! thats why it can be dangerous to post about things you are seriously considering buying in fear of 'swipers' buying it from under you. but then if you don't post about those intentions you might accidentally be judged as a swiper!

The 5.19 does sound like an incredibly good deal! definitely wouldn't buy it without seeing it in person. you can see from the photos that it has a very large culet but you would have to see in person to judge the color, facetting and light performance. depending on your SO's reason for wanting an antique cut you could consider with a stone that big at that price buying it with the intention of a recut? potentially a 5 carat stone at that price could be worth a recut. you could loose a little weight (or more) retain the antique look but lose the authenticity and history of the stone. but if your SO's reason for wanted an old cut is specifically for the history of the piece then probably not a good idea.

but you definitely won't find many 5.19 carat stones L and VS1 for 37k!

I don't know you so I don't know how much experience you have with old cuts but I've learnt it takes a long time and a lot of research to judge a good antique stone from a bad one. when i starting looking at antique stones for an engagement ring 2 years ago I was seriously considering stones that i wouldn't even take a second look at today. so i would say look at and judge critically as many stones as you can. If you live in the US ou might find this a bit easier than i did!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1358258546|3355936 said:
And I just looked at the second one - notice there are no head-on photos of the faceting. I suspect the culet is extremely large, perhaps off-center, and the faceting is unattractive. I can think of no other reason a stone of that size would be that price.

New York State Jewelry/Israel Rose shows all their diamonds at those angles...no head-on photos; so I don't really think it matters as to the faceting whether good or bad. Would be a fun store to visit for sure. Love that setting too on the 5.19 L.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results