shape
carat
color
clarity

Recent online vintage ring finds!

Midsommer

Rough_Rock
Christmas present to myself after difficult year - my first OEC! It's 5mm estimated 0.4-0.5 carat with platinum surround. Think I got a good price (just over $500) and in great condition. Side view attached - has a nice profile.

A ring I helped my dad "find" for my mum (50th/Ruby wedding anniversary) - think it is Victorian, has a beautiful OMC in the center, wonky but very stunning. The side stones are a bit darker and not as flashy.

And a ring I got my mum for Christmas, to match the above ruby ring but it didn't really match! She is wearing it on another hand. Very white and sparkly OMCs - 0.5 carat total.

Exciting!

img_474.jpg

img_475.jpg

img_476.jpg

img_477.jpg

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
J'adore your OEC! Especially love the flowery style setting and the profile is very very nice. I'd say you got a great price, not being an expert just someone who watches ebay to see what things "sold" for. Your dad must have been very happy to get help finding such a lovely present for your mom. Well done.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful, Midsommer! I love the style of the OEC ring, very pretty detail. Love the 5-stone OMC too! Your mom must be thrilled to have such beautiful presents.

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
I wanted to ask whether you have an guesstimate of the OEC color? That would determine whether you got a good buy or a fantastic buy. I've been learning what makes diamond cost vary so much. With new diamonds the cut is very, very important and with older diamonds it seems that color rules much like colored stones although cut is also very important.

Did the seller give a color or clarity rating?

Midsommer

Rough_Rock
GemFever|1358435706|3357783 said:
Beautiful, Midsommer! I love the style of the OEC ring, very pretty detail. Love the 5-stone OMC too! Your mom must be thrilled to have such beautiful presents.

Thanks so much! I love the OEC ring too, it isn't a huge stone but the setting is a bit unusual and pretty. My mum was very happy - I think she may use the rubies and central OMC in a different setting though (something more streamlined, she likes bezeled stones).

imagardener2|1358440848|3357856 said:
I wanted to ask whether you have an guesstimate of the OEC color? That would determine whether you got a good buy or a fantastic buy. I've been learning what makes diamond cost vary so much. With new diamonds the cut is very, very important and with older diamonds it seems that color rules much like colored stones although cut is also very important.

Did the seller give a color or clarity rating?

This OEC is set in platinum which would make it appear whiter, but this seems very white. The seller guestimate was H, VS2 but she didn't have an appraisal (I suppose the business model is that the buyer can get this & return if unhappy vs the seller paying for appraisal for every item). She based the rating on other OEC rings she had which had been appraised at some point. When I got it, it looks very similar in most lights to my engagement ring which is a MRB - E, VS1 - don't see any warm colour flashes in the stone (it does reflect colour of things around it though which is nice). I wouldn't mind a lower colour OEC, I think they are all beautiful. Definitely hooked!!

All of the rings I made offers on significantly lower than the asking price, and each were accepted - so worth bargaining.

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
Comparing your online OEC to your own ring which you had a color/clarity rating for was a great idea. I don't have such a diamond ring to use as a benchmark but will keep that as an idea for the future.

What I'm seeing in ebay is that many OEC's under $1k don't have a cert. such as GIA because it wouldn't be cost effective, so a knowledgeable buyer could score a good buy because other bidders might not want to take the risk. As long as there is a good return policy you'd just be out the shipping/insurance cost.

I wonder why OEC's don't get rated for "cut"? Seems like an important grade for diamonds overall.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results