shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Classes - Where on the Report?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hrodriguez

Rough_Rock
Hi all -

Where, on the GIA report, is the GIA class of the stone? Is it on the report?

Thanks in advance!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
GIA does not currently give a cut class on grading reports.

Coming sooooooon, however...at least so they say.

hrodriguez

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that prompt reply! I am so impressed with this forum - you all are so friendly and helpful in navigating the confusing world of diamonds.

If I call GIA with a report number, can they tell me the class? I want to make sure I''m getting a good one.

Here are the specs - any way to tell if it is a Class 1 or 2? What do you think?

1 carat
G
VS2
6.41 length 6.49 width 3.97 depth
table = 57%
Depth =61%
Culet: none
Good symmetry
Girdle: I think it is thin to thick
Excellent polish
No fluoresence
Asking $8600 retail includes platinum setting, but will pay less than this (25% less?)

You all rock (pun intended!) Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
dave atlas has a super handy dandy tool that you can use on his website. go to www.gemappraisers.com click on DIY cut grading, and enter your info.

hrodriguez

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I tried to use the calculator, but because I don''t know the measurements for the pavillon or crown, it can''t compute!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Did you find out this class 1 and class 2 information from Diamond Cutters International.. I am asking because when I first started my diamond search I fell upon Diamond Cutters Intl and almost got jipped by them. Thank God for this site.

The only way you can get pav and crown angles is to get a sarin or OGI Megascope report...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, if you need a cut grade assessment of you stone, you will have to find the crown and pavillon angles (or %). you can still use the #''s that you do have and look at the grading charts to see where the stone lies in those areas. just keep in mind, for the overall grade, you''ll need the all the information.

hrodriguez

Rough_Rock
No, I got the information from GIA''s website, not from a dealer.
I''m just wondering why if GIA classes the stones, they don''t put it on the report?
I''m just trying to figure out, with the limited info I have from the GIA report, if this is a good stone or not, and it is difficult without a Sarin report. I like the stone very much! It sparkles like mad!

hrodriguez

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I really don''t need the cut info, I guess I am very curious. I went into this searching/buying process with no knowledge, but have read a lot, and have looked at many diamonds since October (too many to mention, but what fun!). When I look at the Class charts, the stone falls somewhere between a Class 1 and 2, I think.

Thanks for your help!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, it sounds like you have a very nice sparkly diamond that you love! i totally understand the need to know more, but what matters most is what you think of it. i''m sure it''s a beauty. any chance you could share some pics?
3.gif

hrodriguez

Rough_Rock
If I buy it this weekend, I will love to share the pics!
I really do like it, but short of getting a Sarin report, I guess I''ll have to go with my heart... The info I can derive about this diamond seems at an end.
I guess I am SO AFRAID of buying a stone with some wacked-out pavillion and crown measurements.
Can you or anyone else answer this stupid question: if the table is 57% and the total depth is 61%, can the paviillon measurement be totally off?
Thanks again. For everyone else on this forum who knows about this stuff and still kindly answers the same questions over and over - double thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''ve got it right...go with your heart. all that matters is that you *love* it. it''s easy to want to look for reassurance in the #''s, but the truth is, you have to like the way it looks. no matter what the #''s say. for some bit of reassurance, the crown and pavil. angles can''t be "off". they can be steep, high, low.....but not "off". whatever they are, they are right for your diamond, and that''s what matters. enjoy it in good health!

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Where do you see this info on the GIA website?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2005 6:18
6.gif
0 PM
Author: hrodriguez
If I buy it this weekend, I will love to share the pics!
I really do like it, but short of getting a Sarin report, I guess I''ll have to go with my heart... The info I can derive about this diamond seems at an end.
I guess I am SO AFRAID of buying a stone with some wacked-out pavillion and crown measurements.
Can you or anyone else answer this stupid question: if the table is 57% and the total depth is 61%, can the paviillon measurement be totally off?
Thanks again. For everyone else on this forum who knows about this stuff and still kindly answers the same questions over and over - double thanks!
HR,

If you are able to see the stone and love the way it looks that is what truly matters. Now, if you prefer - you can stop reading right here.

The businessman in me would point out that for any sizeable investment it''s reasonable to expect specifics on what you are purchasing. If the table is 57% and the total depth is 61% is may have ideal angles, or it may not. Attached is a graphic of two 60/60 diamonds with poor combinations of angles. Here is more info on 60:60

One option you may explore is to purchase the diamond with a conditional return period - long enough to have an independent appraisal done (with someone who has measuring tools such as Sarin or Ogi).

With the above said, I point you again to the first sentence I wrote
21.gif

sixtyagain.gif

hrodriguez

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info on 60/60. I have read this somewhere before, and after you referred it to me, I called my jeweler and asked him to call GIA to get the following info: stone class, pavillion depth, crown height. That way, I will have a much better understanding of the quality of the cut.

As much as I love the ring, I want to know about the cut, so I know whether or not I am paying too much. I agree - it is an investment, and I need to look at it as such, in addition to falling in love with the stone.

Thanks for your advice!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results