shape
carat
color
clarity

How to view the laser inscribed number?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crossiant

Rough_Rock
I bought a diamond ring with GIA number inscribed, but I don''t know how to view it? Could anyone tell me where it''s located? Can I view it with a 10X magnifying glass? Is the number still visiable after it''s been mounted to the ring setting? Thanks.
emrose.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Easiest answer, probably.

In my experience, otherwise, a 20X loupe will work pretty well, and these can be had much less expensively...do a google search, or get with Dave Atlas or others here for resources.

There''s other posts here on the subject, too.

BTW, it''s stamped on the girdle, when it''s there. Also, don''t count on the jewler mounting the diamond correctly, so that it''s fully visible. Ask them to mount it that way, and then, of course, check after the fact, to make sure it was done correctly.

Best,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Viewing a laser inscription isn''t the easier thing ESPECIALLY after it is set and mounted.

1. It is possible that the inscription was put under a prong which would make it impossible to see.
2. Even if the diamond setter was instructed to leave the inscription exposed and between the prongs, 99.9% of the time the black etching in the inscription washes off during the cleaning/polishing of the ring rendering it virtually impossible to see.

Many times we''ll send off a stone, set in a ring and the client can not see the inscription until they bring it to an appraiser/jeweler with a microscope.

IMO there are easier ways to positively identify your diamond. One very easy way IMO is to get yourself an IdealScope and study the optical signature of your diamond. Most stones have a unique finger print which can easily be identified under these viewers which make it much easier to identify than a laser inscription.

Peace,

gee5088

Rough_Rock
Can anyone tell me...
How would I go about buying an Idealscope? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results