shape
carat
color
clarity

Icelander child names must be govt approved?!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
This is interesting *to me at least, anyway*.

Icelandic people have created themselves a system where 1700 male names and 1800 female names are on an 'approved' list for children's names.

This young girl was inadvertently given a name NOT on the approved list... officially she is known as 'girl'.

Now who would have come up with a system like that? Good way of preventing people from choosing 'non-culture' names, I guess.

Although 'Elvis' is now on the list! But names beginning with 'C' are not, because Icelandic does not use the letter 'C'.

http://www.news.com.au/world/icelan...-use-banned-name/story-fndir2ev-1226547645810

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I saw this same article and was stunned. I mean, Australian names must be approved as well - but it's to weed out the absolute absurd and flat-out inappropriate. Like "Bus Stop Number 21" and "Bitchface."

I guess at least the list is pretty long, so there are a few to choose from. Imagine if it was only like 20 names for each gender...that would get massively confusing!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Does the Australian government have the right to stop parents from naming their children something 'wrong' like ....Slag...or something?
I honestly didn't know that...

praps the aussie govt has a list of 'names that are wrong' rather than 'names that are right' lol.... I mean, Aussies LOVE big government, but this names list at first glance seemed like a whole other level....

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the Aussie Government can (and has in the past) override a parent's choice of name if it's flat out crazy crazy.

This is an example from New South Wales, a state of Australia:

"Proposed names will not be registereed if they:
Are obscene or offensive
Could not practicably be established by repute or usage because it is unreasonably long
Could not practicably be established by repute or usage because it consists of symbols without phonetic significance
Could not practicably be established by repute or usage for some other reason
Is contrary to the public interest for some other reason
The name must be in English alphabetical characters and cannot include diacritical marks
No brackets can be included."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results