shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - pearl earring fell off of post.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Help - pearl earring fell off of post.

One of my 6-7 mm black freshadama (pearl paradise) pearls fell off the post. How to fix? Does Pearl Paradise do this, at all. They are about a year old.

Thanks.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You can send it back or repair it yourself. I use two part 5 minute epoxy which is available everywhere . Clean off the old glue on the post and pearl. Mix the glue as package directs and carefully apply to the post and into the drill hole with a toothpick or pin. Don't use too much or you will have a mess when you put the post into the drill hole. Clean off excess glue and let it sit overnight.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My local jeweler did this simple repair for me when I brought in a pearl ring from Pearl Paradise to be resized. He said the pearl was loose and reglued it. I can see the tiniest speck of extra glue at the base of the pearl if I hold it up and squint, but it will never be noticed in normal wearing. I was glad to not to have to try it myself, as I am not always the neatest in these sorts of projects.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
By the way I want to mention, I used to work at a custom jewelry store and the epoxy is what my boss used for customers pearls and setting some gems in bezel settings. You do want to use a glue that is not affected by water or may ruin the nacre of the pearl.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, guys, I really appreciate it. I'll probably take it to my local instead of sending it in.

Is it common that they fall off the post?

How come my cheap mall store pearls haven't ever fallen off and the first pearl to fall off is a Freshadama ! ? !

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Who ever glued the pearl didn't apply enough I guess. You can check the other earring to see if it is loose, more than likely it's a one time occurance. I have many items from PP and none have needed any repair. Lately , I have used PP as a source of repair or remodel since they have all the tools to do the job.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, Nacre. I just googled re-gluing pearls and people recommend an epoxy called "Vigor".

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Vigor is similar to super glue and is available at Bella Findings.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I've had that happen before, not sure where I got the earrings but as they say, doo-doo occurs! I fixed it with the two-part epoxy, which I think only costs a few bucks and is easy to do.

I have one now that has the post broke off inside of it and down too low to get a grip on. I tried to change the earring settings myself and managed to make a disaster of it. Any suggestions?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We use gel superglue. And the secret of gluing is to use the right glue, not slosh it on like cake icing. Glue works by making a soctioning vacuum, so a little only is the secret
With the earring with the post broken inside what we would do is to drill out the broken post with a 0.7mm or 1mm drill bit which will take out the metal fairly easily (and the old glue)
With re-setting any pearl the most important thing is to make sure you remove every trace of the old glue. Some imported earrings use a very poor quality glue which often fails.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Also temperature can effect glue / epoxy/ whatever . Never use really hot water on any jewellery . Also be careful of anything like Acetone - nail polish remover getting on them as that will dissolve glue as well. Really it's easy to repair yourself..as Wendy said..just a dab of glue after cleaning off the old glue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results