shape
carat
color
clarity

Renewed search for an OEC deal

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Kim you should bid on #38 of the Christies auction on the 10th in NY. Good luck!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ariel144|1354553855|3321355 said:
Dreamer_D|1354483394|3320721 said:
hippi_pixi|1354367763|3319835 said:
i thought the video of the 3.15 K showed nailhead?

We argued about the notion of a nail head in another thread -- it means a black hole under the table. It is common in very deep old cuts. That video does not show a nail head, and with a ~60% depth, a nail head is basically impossible. There could be leakage from non-complimentary angles and imprecise pavilion cutting, or gidle reflection, but a nail head is not a possibility.

Ariel we do not know if Adam owns this stone or called it in on spec. OWD does not own all the diamonds on their site.

Thanks for the education on nail head. Makes sense. What % of depth would be considered very deep in your opinion?

I just figured if Adam had the picture and did videos on the stones he might be holding it in his inventory. thanks

There are no hard and fast rules about depth, but I start to think about the issue as a real possibility when depths get over 70%, and I am cautious when they get over 65% in some styles of old cut . Note I am NOT saying to reject stones with those proportions. A lot depends on whether the crown is complimentary and the table size nd lower halves matter a lot. But when I see depths in the 70+ range then I know to examine the stone myself and see what I see.

Many OMCs have depths over 65%, but those stones tend to have tables sub 45%, and other features that change the optics compared to many OECs, making nail heads a little less likely.

One OEC I had for a while and returned was 77% depth and it had a very bad nail head in some lighting, for example.

But when it comes to old cuts I am of the opinion that seeing many cuts with one's own eyes is the best education one can have. I know that is challenging, as not everyone has that opportunity. But with no cut grades from labs I do think educating one's eyes is important.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
did anyone buy the diamond ring on christies? 4.24 carats sold for $18 750. sounds pretty good but don't know the stats. need to see pics if a PSr bought it :)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
hippi_pixi|1355611417|3332295 said:
did anyone buy the diamond ring on christies? 4.24 carats sold for $18 750. sounds pretty good but don't know the stats. need to see pics if a PSr bought it :)

Someone got a great buy. The faceting looked really lovely.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I saw that auction. Was there ever mention of the clarity and color, as it was not listed initially?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1355665496|3332617 said:
I saw that auction. Was there ever mention of the clarity and color, as it was not listed initially?

I believe You can call the auction house before the auction and have them give you an estimated color and clarity. But at that price don't see how you could go wrong...you could always have it recut if needed.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The auction pic looks like it has some big carbon spots. Might be the reason why it went so low.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After searching for an OEC for 9 months, I've finally found my stone! :D It's gorgeous, and I'm so excited! I'll do a SMTB thread eventually, but things have been busy with the holidays, so I haven't taken very many photos yet. The stone is the 3.15 that Ariel posted a few pages back, so thanks very much to Ariel for posting the link to the stone! I didn't stay within budget, but I loved this stone too much to pass it up. :bigsmile:

HUGE thanks to Dreamer for her advice and guidance on my search from the very beginning! And I also wanted to thank everyone else who was so helpful on my threads for this search—Ariel144, ForteKitty, Cluless, junebug17, kelpie, jerichosmom, Mara, Enerchi, yennyfire, backwardsandinheels, Rhea, MissPrudential, missymoo, mercoledi, hippi_pixi, ruby59, madelise, GemFever, bright ice, fridays_child, LibbyLA, vinjewels, yennyfire, Upgradable, MyDiamondSparkles, Sarahbear621, catia, MayK, armywife13, vintagelover229, and CharmyPoo!

Here's a quick pic. :)

img_2268.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Kim!!! :appl: It's beautiful!! You must be so thrilled...Looking forward to seeing more pics!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!! Beautiful! OEC's are my favorite rounds.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, junebug and greg!! I'm so happy to own such a beautiful stone.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i cant help but keep coming back to your diamond to drool!!!!!!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! I can't wait to see more pics of your stunning diamond!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Happy ending in time for the holidays :appl: Congrats, such a beauty!!!

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Kim! She's breath taking just beautiful! Can't wait to see more pics!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Kim, your diamond is absolutely beautiful. It was definitely worth the wait.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I missed this!!! WHOA!! Kim, you found a STUNNING DIAMOND!!! WOW!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

That is GORGEOUS! What a beautiful OEC and those facets---- :lickout: :love: :lickout: --- YUMMY!!! Way to go Ariel for the awesome find! :appl: :appl: :appl: to Ariel!!!

So excited to get more details - but in the mean time, thank you for sharing your most amazing Christmas present!! Beautiful, Kim, just beautiful!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay Kim! I'm so glad you held out and did a very very tough thing that most of us can't do-- RETURN STONES!-- in order to wait out to get your DREAM stone! :appl: :appl: :appl: I cannot wait to see more pics, and see how you set it! It looks WHITE WHITE!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Oh WOW, Kim that stone is phenomenal! It was hiding under the Old Mine listings...the link that kept disappearing...HA! Probably cause you had put it on hold. I'm so excited for you. It looks perfect! Glad you had the patience to wait...sure did pay off. Now we get to wait and see it set...I'm so excited for you and glad to help you find your needle in that haystack out there.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! I'm over the moon excited about this stone! The faceting pattern is just :love:. I'll try to take some more pics soon.

Ariel, thanks again for the fantastic find!! :D

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yay Kim! Your patience paid off! What a beauty! Can't wait for a million more photos! Now for the big question...how will you set it??

missymoo

Shiny_Rock
I love it! Can't wait to see MANY pics! :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Kim!!! that is a GORGEOUS stone!!! Congrats again on being the lucky new owner of that beauty!!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Drool... Amazing!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Worth. The. Wait!!!! :shock: Beautiful!! Happy for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results