shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning pearl & silver jewelry

abbyful

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have some earrings that are silver and small pearls. The silver is tarnished and needs cleaned, how do I go about this without harming the pearls? They aren't expensive pearls by any means (the earrings were only $30), but I wore these earrings on my wedding day so they have sentimental value and I want them to last. Thanks!

Here are the earrings in question (how they looked new), the hoop part and the wire attaching the pearls are both tarnished on mine:
earrings_8.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You could try one of those silver polishing cloths very carefully. I wouldn't use any of that thick silver polish cause it gets all over the place. After it's clean put them in a small zip tight plastic bag and maybe a little anti tarnish paper in there too.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
If these were expensive pearls I wouldn't recommend this, but here goes. Since you have silver wire and wrapped pearls, trying to get tarnish in between tight spots is tough with a polishing cloth. Haggery makes a sliver dip which is harmful to pearls but is easy to apply and rinse and I haven't had any problems with damage.
The solution is very strong , so I dip an Q-Tip in the clear solution and lightly touch to the silver. The Q-Tip is easy to apply to the silver only, and the tarnish is gone in one second. I quickly apply to a area then wash the item with cool soap and water.
I made the mistake of answering the door with a silver chain in the basket of Haggerty silver clean and ruined the chain.
I have used this techique with the Q Tip many times on gemstone and pearl jewelry set in silver, and it comes out great.
PS..... Dont dip it in the liquid unless the item is all silver, no gemstones.
Haggety's is available though jewelry stores or online.
http://hagertyusa.com/jewelry/

haggertysilverclean.jpg

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Cleaning pearl & silver jewelry

I would definitely use the silver cleaning cloth but it is a bit of a long road with a lot of rubbing depending on how bad the tarnishing is. It doesn't look as bad as I've seen or cleaned, so I really think the cloth is your best bet.

rengb6

Rough_Rock
Every time you use those silver cleaning products you strip away little bits of your silver. If you care about not loosing some of your investment there is another way to get rid of tarnish. I'll post a link. Basically all its doing is reversing the oxidation reaction that took place between your silver and the air. It turns the tarnish back into silver. Maybe this wont be practical if you have to submerge the pearl (I don't suggest you do that) but if you can keep the pearl out of the water this works great!

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-clean-silverware-with-b-131048

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
You can take them to some jewelry stores, they are professional to keep your pearls in good condition. pearls are really easy to be damaged even some slight careless things are done, thus do not clean it randomly or casually. :)

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, but they charge you to clean them. What are they using? Polishing cloths and Haggerty cleaners.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results