shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler Experience - uggghhh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Like anything, different consumers want different things. You can't serve all people in all markets, so as an owner you make business decisions regarding whom to serve and how. In my field, some clients was cheap, some want fast, some want steady and dependable. The boss needs to make the decisions about which clients he wants to pursue and what price structure will entice them. When the boss wants me to do this it drives me crazy, because it is HIS business, not mine.

I want a jeweler who has spent some time on the bench. I like to be able to talk to the owner of the joint on occaision if I need to. I do not demand low, low prices, but keep in mind I'm not the wife of a wealthy doctor who drops $20,000 like she's buying a can of soda. I almost never dicker on price. I like helpful but not pushy. I will not buy a candy bar or underwear in a Walmart, much less a jewel! I don't need a fancy store where the staff wears earpieces and they rush to give you a coffee or a cookie, either. Helpful can quickly turn into overbearing where a commission is involved.

These are my requirements, but then again I don't buy much jewelry and catering to me might not keep you in business!

R/A

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s one good thing about EGL: the couple more numbers on the cert. There might be a slight discount for this lab''s signature relative to GIA''s and it doesn''t seem that their grades fall recklessly far form GIA''s mark anyway
34.gif

Numbers do not get as precise as a good look at the diamonds: the size (weight and diameter) can be checked on lab report, and you might want to consider using the IdealScope to see just how far or close to "perfection the more brilliant stone of the bunch you get to inspect is.

With a platinum setting on the way, I see no reason to shy away from the jeweler (from what I canread here, don''t know them of course) - they have their promotion lingo as much as Pricescope has it''s own by now. Diamonds may no know about either
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 10:19
6.gif
9 PM
Author: crankydave
Date: 1/28/2005 6:13:45 PM

Would anyone care to describe a perfect jeweler?

No jeweler is perfect. Jewelers make mistakes just like any other human being on the planet. Given the opportunity, how they handle their mistakes is what separates them. Honesty and integrity are the two most important qualities. Knowing when to say 'No, I won't do that, and this is why...' the most important skill. The ability to say 'That was my fault, my mistake...' the most important trait.

That Neil, is my description.

Dave
I agree with you its what separates the Great from the Good jewelers.
It is the biggest criteria for my top PS vendor list.
Every vendor is going to have problems at times.
How they work to resolve those problems makes all the difference.

Im my experience a lot of the local stores and a lot of internet stores lose huge points based on attitude.
I make no secret that I buy on the lower end of the price spectrum.
Making me feel like I was wasting their time on a $100 purchase has cost a lot of vendors both online and B&Ms large sales when it comes time for recommendations.
The B&Ms in my area are worse in this area than the best of the PS vendors.
One local dealer even went as far as to say "I usually deal with a better class of customers" when I told him my budget.
I cost him a $25000 from one of our clients when they asked me for a recommendation for a place to buy diamonds.
That was in my pre-pricescope days.
His secretary had a similar experience there.
Your ranting and raving when consumers share there less than perfect experences is getting real old fast.

Neil there is a huge thread on here started by if I remember right wink a while back that answers part of your question I will try and find it.

I agree that buying fancy cuts online is a little tougher, but there are vendors who will send stones to local appraisers, so you can have a chance to see the stones in person.

I highly recommend working with Whiteflash.com These folks are extremely professional and I think they know what they''re doing. If you call them and tell them your goals, I think they''ll take good care of you. The reset my stones, and the work is perfection. I''ve since takin my ring in for cleaning, and I was told that the work was top-notch.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
A great merchant, of any kind, will listen to what I want & try to deliver, in a timely fashion (keeping you in the loop the entire time), a product that fits my bill w/ perhaps some recommendations to boot - and all with a profit that they can live with & I can live with.

Really, it''s not rocket science.

Though he is admittedly very Cranky, I have to agree with Crankydave. Way too much bad B&M stories get a rally around lifted to a b*tchfest banter.

I''ve had not so good experiences in a B&M store. I''ve had not such good experience with on-line vendors. Conversely, I''ve had to opposite with both buying venues.

Except for the return policy, nothing that the initial vendor said raises any red flags. I''ve been buying my "stuff" for resale & collecting for over 20 years. I know a designer piece long before I turn it over. I know a rare piece long before I research. I know a quality piece long before I get a second opinion. And, after seeing soooooooooooooo much stuff, I know the good great bad and ugly. I trust experience; not numercial knowledge or book smarts.

That said, I do think some truth exists with many jewlery stores that the sales people aren''t knowledgable. Same could be true from someone on the other end of the computer line.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 11:26:25 PM
Date: 1/29/2005 10:44:31 AM

Author: strmrdr

Your ranting and raving when consumers share there less than perfect experences is getting real old fast.

This is almost funny.

You're the worst kind of consumer strmrdr. You're a self annoited expert. And on just about everything. You climb up on that soapbox and loudly proclaim 'Look at me! I'm an expert!' It's sad really. Sad that you need that kind of attention. Sad that you'd rather perpetuate misinformation than admit a mistake. Sad that you'd rather encourage the negative, than reinforce the positive.
Whats even funnier is your responce.
Just cant handle someone questioning you can ya?
Iv been wrong a lot of times and admit it when I am.
It takes a lot more than someone I dont respect saying your wrong to prove anything.
Saying your wrong because I say so doesnt cut it with me.

As for being an expert Iv never claimed to be and as far as that goes read my sig.
Your the one that sets out to be a big fish in a little pond by playing the expert and getting mad when anyone dares to disagree with you.
Further down in your post where you say you will try and shout down anyone who says anything negative about the industry is real telling.
Hate to break it to you but your not going to do that here.
There is one person that has the power to tell me to shut up on PS and you arent him.
There are several others that I respect enough that if they ask me to drop something I will in a lot of cases.
You arent one of them either.

edited to remove typo :}

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow one extra word ya have to have a cow about Im so sorry mister perfect that you couldnt figure that out. I edited so you wouldnt stress out your brain cells.
As far as putting words in your mouth:

Your words:
"I will always discourage these negative threads where one group as a whole gets "beat-up" or gets painted with a broad brush."
"Everytime I see a "This is who sucks today" thread, you can just about count on me showing up."

So I guess now we cant discuss bad experiences or bad service we get can we because you might get offended?
Well my reply to that cant be printed here but Im sure you can figure it out.
What point? You have a point? other than to be annoying? other than to shout down consumers?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the record I do get ticked at times when someone says your wrong in technical areas and then doesnt back it up with evidence.
I also get ticked at times when someone says something one day and the opposite the next in technical areas and will ask for clarification.
Im here to learn more than anything else.

So if you were trying to turn my comment back on me yea I do get annoyed at times but
I im no expert and will admit when im wrong so that shoe dont fit :}
It does however fit you.

I never claim to be mister perfect.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 5
6.gif
7:58 PM

Very few things today are not publically graded in some form or fashion. From food to cars to lumber and even jewelers. Off the top of my head the only thing that comes to mind as not being publically graded are consumers.

Dave
I''m afraid this thread went off topic. Dave, I don''t know what triggered you to become so sarcastic
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results